45-70

Stalker1962

Right. I have a 45-70 Falling Block rifle which I have used with BP. I also have some hand-cast bullets which come in at 540 grain and were used for the BP days.

I have some Vihtavuori 130 which is 45-70 "friendly".

Has anyone got real life experience of loading for this kind of nonsense or should I go back down into the bunker and wait for the CV drama to blow over?

Attachments

Muir

I have loaded for many -from Trapdoor Springfields to Siamese Mausers. Rolling blocks included. I even shot a rebarreled Werndl for a while.~Muir

(I used to specialize in rebarreling and rebuilding Remingtons.)

Muir

I used to shoot a 534 grain flat point designed for the 458 Winchester. I'm pressed to remember what the powder was though RL7 comes to mind. I will dig through my notes. What is the twist on that RB??~Muir

Muir

I may have mis-read your original post: It is a Sharps? I read "rolling block".

I wonder about the stability of that long 540, that's all. It might be happier with a 400-ish bullet, or a blunt nosed thing like my 530 grain. I checked: was using Accurate 5744. If that's not available, Lovex D060 has very similar characteristics to 5744. Here it's marketed as Shooter's World "Buffalo Rifle" and there is data for 500 grain bullets.

Nice rifle by the a way.~Muir

Andy RV

I’ve used 40gr to 50gr (off the top of my head) of N130 with 400gr cast bullets. I can’t help with anything as heavy as yours! I’d start around early 30’s and go from there.

Muir

I'm still not clear as to what rifle you are loading for. This post got me thinking about my two sharps repros. One is a cavalry carbine and one an 1861 Business Rifle. Both are Pedersoli and both are 54 caliber using combustible linen / paper cartridges. Remarkably, both are very accurate with 80 grains of Pyrodex "R" and a cartridge made of bonded linen paper soaked in a concentrated potassium nitrate solution and left to dry before rolling into tubes for powder. (I am told news-print works better) I have never found a suitable method for attaching a bullet to the cartridge (at least that I liked) so I seat the bullet ahead of the powder column with a breech seating tool and slip the paper cartridge behind it. My mould was made by Pedersoli and the front driving band 'locks' into the leade when I seat it. This makes for a very accurate shooting arrangement. The fit and finish on my two Sharps is exceptional.

I had a long talk with Davide Petersoli Jr at the SHOT show the year I bought those rifles. He explained that the barrels made at Pedersoli were all lapped and air-gauged. That might explain the accuracy I've seen from their rifles. I'm sure yours shoots very well....~Muir

Stalker1962

A wee update...

405g FNFB
Vihtavuori N130 @ 44.7g

Took it to the farm last week - not using the ladder sight - just original iron-sights at 100 yards.

100 yard target (backstop is a massive hill). Spotter/Safety in place. Fall of shot over the top. Pack up and call it a day.
Bisley today on the Zero Range (CV rules in place).

Impact at the 950 yards mark. Three-shot group. Pack up and call it a day.

Get home. Ordered Lyman 50th Reloading Manual.

This is going to get emotional...

pj1

I watch with interest. I’m hoping to start this adventure later in the year.

Smellydog

A wee update...

405g FNFB
Vihtavuori N130 @ 44.7g

Took it to the farm last week - not using the ladder sight - just original iron-sights at 100 yards.

100 yard target (backstop is a massive hill). Spotter/Safety in place. Fall of shot over the top. Pack up and call it a day.
Bisley today on the Zero Range (CV rules in place).

Impact at the 950 yards mark. Three-shot group. Pack up and call it a day.

Get home. Ordered Lyman 50th Reloading Manual.

This is going to get emotional...
This has to be a code or some kind of strange new language!

Please translate for us mere mortals 😁

Stalker1962

Please translate for us mere mortals.
I have a 45-70 rifle.
It is a Pedersoli 1863 Falling Block.
32" hexagonal barrel: which I think is 1:22 twist.

I am trying to find a load (not Black Powder) that will work.

This month I have tried:-
405g FNFB - (Bullet which weighs 405 grains and is Flat Nosed and Flat Base).
Vihtavuori N130 @ 44.7g - (is the type of powder and weight).

This recipe is producing shots that "go high" at 100 yards and on the Zero Range at Bisley indicate impact @ 950 yards.

The Zero Range is a 25 yard range with a special target - you aim at the black dot and it shows impact up to 1,200 yards - enables you to be "on paper" before deploying to the actual long distance range.

Thus far, I have only succeeded in scaring myself.

The Lyman 50th Reloading Manual is the latest reloading manual for people who are a danger to themselves and others.

This is a book I should have read before I started down this rabbit hole...

Attachments