4x4 advice

sp4rkman

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a used double cab 4x4 and was wondering what people use and recommend. I've had a look online and the Nissan Navara, Ford Ranger and Isuzu Rodeo appear to be the most common and best priced. I dont want something overly expensive but needs to be comfortable enough for the drive to scotland, yet practicl enough for day to day use.

sp4rkman

old keeper

4x4

Hi Sp4rkman, Last couple of seasons there has been a Ranger used on the shoot. Goes anywhere, comfortable and hasn't had major problems. I can't speak for the others you mention but would say the Ranger is o.k. Would also say spares are easy and not too dear. Cheers.

Andy L

Hi Sp4rkman, I have a ranger on a 52 plate. It is fantastic. Better off road than a hilux, cheaper and confortable. I can't recommend them enough.
Plenty of room for those sitting in the back whilst maintaining a large pickup bed. I am also embarrassed to say that mine has done 50,000 without a proper service. :oops: I might book it in for one this week.
Cheers
Andy

Baldrick

I recall that a few chaps on the Pigeon Watch forum have had to have engines replaced on their Navaras (work that Nissan wouldn't do under warranty). It might be worth investigating.

I'm a Land Rover owner, but there's no way I'd want to journey to Scotland in a 110 double-cab...

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Last year I bought a new Isuzu Rhodeo LE. This is the top of the range one with the pro drive pack. But I test drove the basic model which still throws out about 130 Brake Horse. Prior to this I had a Chevy/Isuzu ex demo for about 2 years.

There is a garage called Lifton Bridge in Somerset, which brings in a lot of 4x4 crew cabs, although they are considered grey imports, but are brand new. He has a lot of kit down there, and it looks top stuff.

I decided in the end to buy direct through Isuzu, and at the end of the day there was not much in it between a makers model and an import.

I have to say I am well chuffed with my truck, but it has all the toys so it was not cheap. Excellant vehicles I would recommend them to anyone.

Navara's had some recalls due to emission problems I think, and they are not as economical as an Isuzu.

mjjl

i have a navara on an 03 plate, it's fairly heavy on fuel and if you are towing you can almost see the gauge going down, there's also not a huge amount of legroom in the back but seeing as i'm driving it doesn't bother me ;) . must admit that i love it and haven't had any problems, service intervals are supposed to be every six months wheras the new shape ones are every 12 months and they are better on fuel because of the six speed box which would help a lot going to scotland.

Beowulf

Hi Baldrick,
I took my ex mil 110, 300 tdi conservation up to Tain in Scotland from Coventry. It was great fun! :D Now it runs on veg oil it will be fun and cheaper next time! :lol:

wadashot

Account Suspended
Beowulf said:
Hi Baldrick,
I took my ex mil 110, 300 tdi conservation up to Tain in Scotland from Coventry. It was great fun! :D Now it runs on veg oil it will be fun and cheaper next time! :lol:
Aye, cos we will hopefully be in my car with proper music, (linkin park and foo fighters), or there may be other choices if required, a heater that keeps you warm and no wind coming through the doors and windows. Oh, and will do 40-50 mpg;) :lol: :lol:

wadas

Gyr

Theres only one vehicle for me,a landie defender.
They're not cheap,not very economical,they're uncomfortable,you can't get much in them,they've got a poor turning circle,they leak when it rains,they're noisy....but apart from that they're PERFECT!!
I love mine and I don't think I would have anything else and yes I do drive it to northumberland and scotland full up with wife,kids,dogs and sporting paraphenalia!!
The trouble with vehicles with electrical goodies on them is they have a nasty habit of going wrong.
Before the landie I had a top of the range range rover and the bloody thing spent more time in the dealers workshop than on my drive!

At the end of the day it's a personal thing, you pays yer money....

All the best,

Gyr

Beowulf

I'm with you Gyr on the Defender score! Its not a car its an experience! I can turn mine into a field kitchen, spare bedroom, high seat, riot control vehicle, firewood shed and moblie butchery! Its great.. 8)

bobt

I use a Discovery, a load liner in the back, nice comfy seats 30mpg on used chip oil, 50/50 mix.

and it looks presentable when you go out. well it did until I hit the tree, :lol:

Beowulf

I don't mind that mine looks like a heap! It makes me think that I'm in the 'A Team' :lol: I love it when someone makes a rude comment about my Landie. It gives me a good excuse to get nasty and threatening! :lol:

wadashot

Account Suspended
Ofcourse it`s personal choice and i am only takin the p***, they are great vehicles the landy`s. I once had a pajero swb, well for about a month anyway as i couldn`t cope with having to stop every 2 minutes to fill the thing up with fuel. :eek: :rolleyes:

stone

hi sp4rkman
out of the 3 veihcles you mention i would go for the rodeo any day as the O/H has one and i like it but my truck of choice wold be an L200 but the new shape, as i have the a L200 warrior on a 56 plate but the old shape power ,speed ,even the ride is top notch towing on and off road no probs but at 25 miles to the gallon makes you cough abit where as the new shape has bit more power and speed but can do approx 40 miles to the gallon no comparison

sp4rkman

it's great to get everyones feedback. I test drove a Navara today. 54 plate, 37k on the clock but the dealer wanted £10k for it which i felt was too high. I'm looking at a 54 plate Ranger on Wednesday. 50k on the clock, 12 month MOT, 12 month road tax, includes removeable top and never been offroad. Guy wants £6.5k for it.

I'd love to be able to afford a new L200 or even better, the Hilux but sadly they're out of my price range.

I am too a Defender fan and would love to own one but i need something a bit conservative on the fuel front.

Quick question, how does one convert to using chip oil?

Beowulf

Hi Sp4rky,
Ask Steyr243 about chip fat engines, he is the man! ;)

Make sure that you don't leave the Ranger in four wheel drive for normal driving as it drinks the juice like it has gone out of fashion. Its an easy mistake to make, its a push button near the gear stick and can be easily knocked. Saying that it may have all changed as I used to have one for a works vehicle about five years ago.

Tanker

Hi Sp4rky,

I'm afraid i'm with the Landy supporters. I have a double cab pick up with MT tyres and an Ifor Williams top . It's absolutely fantastic. Stretch your cash and go for one - you really won't regret it.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I have no experience of pickup's so can't comment. I drove LandRovers for years and can comment on them and I have to agree that as a hard working utility vehicle they are hard, if not impossible, to beat, they have faults, fail to maintain them at your peril but, look after them and they will keep on going. They have the turning circle of the QE2, leak in the rain, provide ventilation without opening the windows, toughen you up by only providing a heater that deals in luke warm air. Having said that I would still be driving one if it was not for the fact that my bad back and the seating did not agree.

I now drive a Jeep, not a Johny Kingdom Jeep, but a Grand Cherokee and I take it everywhere I did the LandRover. I really think that unless you are involved in extreme off roading, any of today's 4X4's would suit the needs of the average stalker, it would just boil down to personal choice. Just watch the news and all the war zones around the world, there are many 4X4's being used and abused there, gives you an idea of the toughness of these vehicles. The UN swears by the Nissan Patrol and you see them doing some pretty amazing things.

Just get what you like, can afford and suits you I'm sure it will be fine. It's like getting opinions on a scope or gun, the reports will be different depending on who is using them. Just like guns and scopes though, as long as you do not stray far from the mainstream you cannot go far wrong.

So, what you getting?

John

Heym SR20

Cousin has a Ford Ranger and swares by it. Friend has just changed his old Isuzu pick up for a toyato Hilux and does complain that its load bed is very high of the ground.

But given the eye watering price of diesel for a stalking vehicle I am seriously thinking on,

1) either changing my current vehicle for a 4 wheel drive estate car - eg Skoda Octavia Scout, which I have heard very good things about - 45 mpg and sufficent clearance and traction to cross fields, go up Forestry tracks etc.

Or as a second car getting

2) Fiat Panda 4x4 - hired one in France when skiing - cracking little machine. And the old verison went anywhere.

3) Renault Kangoo 4x4 - again will go anywhere provided you good mud tires on it.

4) Suzuki Jimney 4x4

OK the later two are very much lighter, don't have the towing power to pull big trailers out of muddy fields, but if it is just to carry yourself, a rifle and a dog, and then to put one or two beasts (especially Roe) then how much of a 4x4 do you actually need.