53grain vmax vs 50grain vmax

stephentri

Hi is there any advantage using the 53grain vmax with their higher BC over the 50grain vmax have any of you tested the difference between them at 300 or 400 yards.

Cadex

I don't know the figures, but three grains of weight is going to make next to no difference in ballistic coefficient over the distance you mentioned.

bewsher500

BC 0.242 vs 0.290

running them at the same MV of 3200fps
Zero at 100yd
increase in drop and drift
for 50gr compared to 53gr

-1/4" at 200yds (+1" Windage 90deg 10mph)
-1" at 300yds (+2.5" windage 90deg 10mph)
-3" at 400yds (+ 4.5" windage 90deg 10mph)

push the 50s at 3350fps and the 53's at 3100fps and all benefit is lost
what you gain in BC you will lose in MV
you will always be able to push the 50's faster

only makes a difference well past the 300-400 mark

dave1372

I would imagine being able to read the wind and account for wind drift will be the more important factor than the small difference in bullet weight IMO.

AnthonyR

I found the 53gr varied too much in length and hence were difficult to load consistently unless you sorted them first which is right PITA.

I now use 55gr Sierra BK which I have found to be much better in my rifle.

Biathlonjimmy

Be aware that you are likely to need a faster twist for the 53gr. In my .22-250 1-14 twist the 53gr are all over the place regardless of seating depth and charge. 50gr are good but as mentioned above 52gr AMax are fantastic. The 53gr VMax is longer bullet. 1-12 twist or faster should be fine :thumb:

247sniper

I find the 53grain vmax very fussy about seating depth anyone else find the same

I have also heared this with several .223 people I know and also a .223AI loader and also a 220 swift loader. They seem to be a iffy bullet tbh, with much of the loaders having problems with them in terms of accuracy issues and random flyers.

Funny that a friend of mine had random flyers 1- in 5 Nd a friend who loads for a .223Ai also had random flyers, he also said 1 in 5! Funny such similar results with two totally different rifles.

that said if they work well in your rilfe, driven at decent velocities (3300+) they should prove to be a really good bullet due to their good BC. But then again if they don't work or you get random flyers they best left to one side.

Steve.

25 Sharps

Split the difference and use 52gr A-max :D

I have just realised I have duplicated someone else's words!! but the A-max do seem very good. . . .

247sniper

Split the difference and use 52gr A-max :D

I have just realised I have duplicated someone else's words!! but the A-max do seem very good. . . .

The 52Amax according to Brian Litz had a under estimated BC of .252, where in real life testing by Brian Litz show a more realistic accurate BC of .282!

So it would be Just as good as the 53 Vmax in terms of BC, but without any of the poor performances. ;)

Guesty

I switched to the 53gn Vmax I'm my 1:12" T3 Varmint after shooting an incredibly small group with them at just under 500 yards. I swapped over from the 52gn Amax, which were good, but had noticebly less 'wallop' on steel at WMS.
Both chronoed at 3250fps.

mickyfinn

Tried the 53s in my day use 223 when they first came out and like above had fliers with various loads so never used again, been using 50gn vmax in my other 223 with dedicated NV for past 10yrs i would say now, and don't plan on changing any time soon.

sir-slots-alot

Tried the 53s in my day use 223 when they first came out and like above had fliers with various loads so never used again, .
As above - Bought a few boxes when they came out - Quite happy at first - especially with the expansion , but I had some unexplainable misses.

More testing revealed that I was getting some horrible fliers. The more I tested , the more I realised that fliers were quite common and the more I lost confidence in them.

Nearly every shooter I have talked too - who has done some extensive accuracy testing with 53 grn Vmax have found the same thing and moved back their original bullets - which in my case was 55 grn SBK's.

ATB
Alan

Last edited:

Guesty

As above - Bought a few boxes when they came out - Quite happy at first - especially with the expansion , but I had some unexplainable misses.

More testing revealed that I was getting some horrible fliers. The more I tested , the more I realised that fliers were quite common and the more I lost confidence in them.

Nearly every shooter I have talked too - who has done some extensive accuracy testing with 53 grn Vmax have found the same thing and moved back their original bullets - which in my case was 55 grn SBK's.

ATB
Alan
You've got me worrying now!
Will stick a few groups on paper again to check all is still OK.
Were the flyers missing by a lot, or were groups still sub MOA?

murph

I find the 53grain vmax very fussy about seating depth anyone else find the same
I load mine at just over factory oal - 2.265 and lee factory crimp them lightly. About 6 thou of a crimp. I haven't had any fliers and this halfs my es and sd to when I didn't crimp them. If you can run them at around 3250 fps they are outstandingly accurate and hit the foxes very hard. They seem to destabilise if you run them at much higher velocities. These speeds are with 26.4 grains of h4895 with cci 400 primers.