6.5 x 55 loading

Boarboy

I remembered that Viht 160 seems to be quite popular/recommended for the 6.5 so I grabbed the last pot I saw on the shelf at my local store. Im awaiting the arrival of a 6.5 x 55 R93 barrel so thought in the meantime I could make up some loads. So... I have viht 160, as mentioned, and a box of 129gr Hornady SSTS. Any recipes would be welcomed! Thanks.

PeterH

I remembered that Viht 160 seems to be quite popular/recommended for the 6.5 so I grabbed the last pot I saw on the shelf at my local store. Im awaiting the arrival of a 6.5 x 55 R93 barrel so thought in the meantime I could make up some loads. So... I have viht 160, as mentioned, and a box of 129gr Hornady SSTS. Any recipes would be welcomed! Thanks.

Not a great help to you but I shoot 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunters in my 6.5 R93 using N160. But.....I will add this, I know that the heavier SST are a little longer than my 120 gr bullets but with your R93 don't be afraid to seat your bullets well back from the lands - mine are 222 thou back and shoot beautifully. Another chap I reload for is just over 200 thou.

PeterH

Now don't you go listening to Muir with his obscure powder choice that we have never heard of this side of the pond - you stick with the clean burning European Vihtavuori powders :stir: LOL

charadam

46.3 gn of 160, 129g H SST, Lapua brass at max trim length, Remington LR primer, bullet seated to case shoulder.

The most consistently precise centrefire load I have experienced in 40+ years of reloading.

​(Tikka 695).

deeangeo

This was the result of a 4 shot test using the following recipe:
Vit.N160 x 49.2gns, Nosler 120gn BT, Fed210 GM primer, Rem. Cases, OAL 3.051"
F/L resized, case headspaced at 1.772". The rifle is Sauer 202 Elegance 1-9.5" twist.
Haven't yet checked the MV but I think probably somewhere in the 2900fps area. It certainly looks promising. ATB

PSE Composites Limited