6.5mm bullets...whats your favourite?

Tikka

Hi Guys, I am about to work up a load for my new .260Rem, and wondered
what was your favourite 6.5mm bullet for deer?

I mainly stalk Munty and Fallow, with the odd Roe, and of course any foxes that happen by.....

All advice is appreciated.

Hi There

I use 100 Gn Nosler BT in my ..260 and 120Gn Nosler BT in the 6.5x55, Both very effective, minimal meat damage if used at recommended velocity limits, very accurate. Thats on Roe , Fallow and fox. No doubt at all on the capabilities on Reds, but I havent had the opportunity yet to try.

Best of luck with yours.

ATB

T260

velocity

Thats a good point well made by tikka 260. the ballistic tips can be very damaging and explosive almost if used too hot. it is also worth noting that here are ballistic tips for hunting and varminting, they are not the same.

i have used hornadies interlock in 243 and found it pretty good. speer hotcor give excellant results on game but IN MY EXPERIENCE are not as accurate as some others.

i would be looking for a soft point bonded or locked bullet that is widely available and will go out at about 2800-2900 fps. one that is in the mid range of what my rifle's twist rate will like.

looking at hodgdons data a speer 120gr spitzer would be good or noslers 125gr partition.

unlike Muir i have one rifle in each calibre i use and so i use one load per rifle because i don't like to move zeroes.

swampy

129 gr Hornady interlock, never had anything go further than 15 yards.

John

Thankyou for your input Gents.

Out of interest Tikka260/Swampy, what do you see as being the max velocity for the Nos 120gn BT?

This bullet did shoot particularly well on paper at the weekend so if I can get the velocity right I may try the load out on deer.

Hi Tikka

This link is from the Nosler Forum on their website and is advice from the best source : The Manufacturer.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1347

I have the 100Gn BTs going at very pedestrian velocity - 2870 fps which is not fast for a 260 with a 100Gn bullet, BUT they are very accurate, and cause little damage to the carcass , always supposing proper shot placement.

The 120 Gn in the 6.5x55 are going at 2850 or thereabouts, also not quick quick, but for me the same argument still applies, I would rather have accuracy and good shot placement than a 'screamer' of a round that uses loads of extra powder for little return.

Exit wound on a Fallow ( Larder weight 98lbs) from 100 Gn BT , bit pink , high heart /lung shot, ran 3 steps and FLOP !

IMG_0124.jpg

ATB

T260

ballistic tip velocity.

IN MY OPINION

i would go with T260 in that 2900fps is plenty fast enough. that will ensure you get good and controlled expansion without massive damage. I think in the real world from a sporting rifle you will be around the 2800 mark. perfectly sufficient IN MY VIEW.

swampy

Thankyou once again for your help, I'll get the chrono out over the weekend and see where we're at with the 120s.

Tikka said:
Thankyou once again for your help, I'll get the chrono out over the weekend and see where we're at with the 120s.

Bit late with this post but in my 6.5 x 55 I use Nosler 120 BT Using 44g of N160 with average 2760 fps with groups <.6 inch at 100 yds shooting mainly roe and red, largest exit hole on a red was about 1.5 inches and I shoot >50 of each of these species each year.

Friend of mine in his 6.5 shoots Hornaday 129g SST with the same powder combination with equally good results.

Peter

pro hunter

I am using sierra prohunter this weekend. it is a very accurate bullet. i will do a report on terminal effect, hopefully

swampy

Hornady 129sst my favorite, but their 129 soft points have performed very well recently (I ran out of SST's). Velocities no better than 2675 but it doesn't seem to matter.Confidence in the round is more important.

john

Tikka 260 said:
Hi There

I use 100 Gn Nosler BT in my ..260 and 120Gn Nosler BT in the 6.5x55, Both very effective, minimal meat damage if used at recommended velocity limits, very accurate. Thats on Roe , Fallow and fox. No doubt at all on the capabilities on Reds, but I havent had the opportunity yet to try.

Best of luck with yours.

ATB

T260

Hi Tikka

What powder are you using on the 100gn ? and how much. i use 129 gr hornaday SP and group about 1''
Bought some 100gn today.

Well, the load I use is fairly 'pedestrian' for a .260, but it is very accurate. VIT160 - 44Gns in Lapua .243 brass neck sized in one go to 6.5 using Redding FL die. The cases are neck turned, and I use Fed GM210 Primers

It will be rechambered soon to SAMMI min spec as I would rather it was less fussy to load for, and ... I want to be able to use 120 - 130 Gn loads, which it won't take as it is now.

ATB

T260

Re: pro hunter

swampy said:
I am using sierra prohunter this weekend. it is a very accurate bullet. i will do a report on terminal effect, hopefully

swampy

Hi Swampy, anything to report back yet? I will be looking into using these in the near future.

Back