6.5mm expander die advice

Hunter 6.5

Hi All, what expander die you guys using for 6.5x55? So far i found only Sinclaire gen2 that use mandrels but their expander mandrel is .001" larger then theirs neck turning mandrel which is .002" smaller then bullet diameter. That said 6.5mm expanded is .263" and i would like at least .262 . Any advice would be appreciated

Cottis

They have them that size to make neck turning easier I think.

Are you just using the mandrel to get consistent neck tension for seating bullets. I resize without expander balls and then use the sinclair mandrels to uniform the neck tension. Initially I was sceptical about the 1 thou smaller than bullet diameter but there must be a degree of springback in the brass, as my basic measurements seem to show 2 thou neck tension and bullets certainly do not just slip in on seating and there has also been a notable improvements in accuracy since I moved away from expander balls in FL dies.

Apologies if I have misunderstood your question. Just ignore me if I have.

Hunter 6.5

Thanks Cottis,you got exactly my question. I am after more consistent neck tension by using such expander but l am sceptical as you about just .001" undersizing . I will go ahead then ,since you are happy whit results.
Thank you

Malxwal

Bear in mind the effects of increased work hardening and springback with multiple reloads, unless you are annealing, in which case ignore me :p

Cottis

Bear in mind the effects of increased work hardening and springback with multiple reloads, unless you are annealing, in which case ignore me :p
Good point. That springback will reduce and so will neck tension or at least the consistency. Fairly frequent annealing will deal with that.

Also to the Hunter6.5, my experience is with 5.5 and 6mm but I presume the theory will be the same. Certainly the Sinclair mandrels are sized in the way you describe, so I presume 6.5 will be no different.

Hunter 6.5

That also was in my mind . I do not annealing (so far) but it's maybe only way to keep consistent tension as the brass realy work hardened fairly quick.

Hunter 6.5

Experienced something unusual. After first firing on new Lapua cases i ran them true Forster FL benchrest die with expander ball installed and seating bullets required serious pressure to be applied (same thing whit virgin cases)