6.5x55 and not even Xmas.

white van man

Took my new toy out this afternoon and grassed a Muntie at about 120 mtrs.
Its a 6.5x55 bought of "Waggy 1" described as a gentlemans stalking rifle.
It was built by a riflesmith named "Bob Harvey" for a company called "Bailons".
Its a really nice rifle and for it's age it's mint. On my 100mtr range it groups at. 1/2" with factory ammo can't really ask for better than that.
With the Zeiss scope, swing off rings ammo and dies it is certainly a late Xmas pressie.......
Thanks for the deal "Waggy1"
Steve.

big ears

Welcome to the 6.5 zone. Most under rated, fabulous calibre. Capable of so
much more than .243 and so much nicer to shoot than .270&.308. The only calibre to match it is perhaps the 30-06
:stir:

white van man

Great rifle glad it went to a good home I was sorely tempted but really want a 7x57.

Must admit I had a variation in for another .243 Rang my firearms people for a calibre change and it was back within a week. Although the factory rounds prove really accurate I will still do some load development and see what I can come up with.
When I took the rifle out of the stock to give it a good clean (wasn't really dirty) I found it was bedded as well, all in all a really great rifle Im dead chuffed.
Steve.

Jagare

Thats a lovely looking rifle. Double set triggers, butter knife bolt hand, Apel swing off mounts and a bit of engraving as well. Enjoy that rifle and i hope you get many years of hunting pleasure from it.

waggy 1

Hi Steve, I'm really pleased that you are happy with the rifle combination, also chuffed that you have reduced the muntjac population , it was a pleasure to meet up with you & steve 2 !! Im also glad all the comments that you have made about the rifle have all been positive as the rifle is what it is , A truly fine rifle that now has a new home hopefully for a long time, please look after it mate !
A little message to all the people on here that have made some very negative comments about the rifle , Thankyou !! Steve has got his early Christmas box & I'm genuinely really pleased for him !! I would sooner have given that rifle to someone who appreciates it for what it is, Rather than have to change it like some people suggested to what they think it should or should not Be to make it saleable !! As said many times it is what it is & im pleased that Steve will get pleasure out of it !
Thankyou Steve Enjoy your new Toy ! kindest regards Derek

amadablam

Welcome to the 6.5 zone. Most under rated, fabulous calibre. Capable of so
much more than .243 and so much nicer to shoot than .270&.308. The only calibre to match it is perhaps the 30-06
:stir:
I'm very pleased to read that! :) I recently took delivery of a Blaser R8 professional in 6.5x55 but also bought a 30-06 barrel.

While I am a huge fan of the 6.5x55 and it does almost everything I want, I wasn't sure if my choice of a 30-06 as a second, complimentary caliber was the right choice as I simply have very little experience with this caliber. But reading posts on here, I think I've made the right choice.:)

jb1

Bob Harvey is one of the old time gun smiths, he's built a friend of mine a 257 Bob, nice gold inlay and engraving on the action.