6.5x55 lee loader results

Essexsussex

I have no reloading experience to speak of, and have cautiously (with the help of others on here) finally tested out my first loads.

I was kindly supplied with a few bits by Scott on here, including some cases which are next to work up to ready for stalking (thanks Scott).

I ran 0.5 grain variants with n160 and pro hunter 120s and some new ppu cases I was given.

The results for the 45 and 45.5 grain were the best shooting from a sand bag - picture attached this is actually a 5 shot group, it says 4, at 100m. I ran out at 46 grain and didn’t try any above this. Following Muir’s advice I loaded to the standard length in the Sierra handbook.

I can’t see much need to chase anything (for my simple requirements - stalking up to say 175m) but I am interest on peoples views on what now might make the most difference to tightening the group (ps very happy with this group for what I need and the technology used. The chance of having a morning on a range is few and far between so likely will never do it).

All loaded with a lee loader and hammer, with the addition of a set of scales (I may now go to a scoop if there is one the right size in my Lee box of scoops.)

The things I would consider if I had the time or inclination would be:
Getting the bullet in the lands
Crimping (lee loader can do this apparently)
Try more loads getting closer to the max manual loading

What is everyone’s view on what might make the most difference here? Are these the right things to think of? For my knowledge and understanding, I doubt I will get round to doing it. Likely to be my shooting that is the biggest variable here anyway.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EF58F8F6-CB41-4529-9D16-F21BFC2B0860.jpeg
    EF58F8F6-CB41-4529-9D16-F21BFC2B0860.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I have the same loader in .243 and 30-06, that group is absolutely fine, I wouldn't tinker with it, I would be happy with that result.
Don't forget (and I'm only speaking for myself here) there is the human factor, what I am saying is I would be the weak factor and not the equipment.
Deer don't have clover leaf hearts;)
Cheers
Richard

Thanks Richard - it was some of your posts that gave me faith to do this with a lee loader, you seem to have the same objective as me out of loading (bang flop!)

With a 9x scope that red dot doesn’t seem that large. I am quite sure that the side to side was likely to be my fault. Just curious with what I would do if I wanted to improve it, but probably as you infer get someone who can shoot straight to test it is first thing!

Anyway thanks for your posts because I consider this a complete success and fun into the bargain.

Thanks Richard - it was some of your posts that gave me faith to do this with a lee loader, you seem to have the same objective as me out of loading (bang flop!)

With a 9x scope that red dot doesn’t seem that large. I am quite sure that the side to side was likely to be my fault. Just curious with what I would do if I wanted to improve it, but probably as you infer get someone who can shoot straight to test it is first thing!

Anyway thanks for your posts because I consider this a complete success and fun into the bargain.
Thanks for those kind words.
You could no doubt tinker, but the cost in ammo to get a slightly improved group, is it really worth it, you could easily knock over deer at 200 yards with that group.
Cheers
Richard

Lee Factory Crimp Die may be very useful and can even out case neck tension.
Don’t bother chasing the lans.
Thanks Deeango - I don’t have a press but I gather the lee loader can be used to crimp which I may try if I ever get the chance for an hour or two on the range again. Here is a question again out of curiosity - if I did crimp does it a)change poi and b)am I likely to find that my best current powder load will stay the same or do I have to work up and load test again?

Thanks
Will

If it groups at an inch at 190m leave it alone. I use 44.9gr N160 and it does the job.
As Richard says it’s a tool for a job go out at grass a deer

BE
Thanks BE I think that is exactly what I will do! I am just curious as to where I would go next if I wanted to. I won’t get round to it but interesting to know.

Thanks Deeango - I don’t have a press but I gather the lee loader can be used to crimp which I may try if I ever get the chance for an hour or two on the range again. Here is a question again out of curiosity - if I did crimp does it a)change poi and b)am I likely to find that my best current powder load will stay the same or do I have to work up and load test again?
Thanks Will

For the cost of the Lee FC die I think it's worth buying & using. It works for me, I crimp everything.
Not saying it will work for you, but I can't see it would not, or be beneficial.
Crimping does not change POI in my experience. But it brings consistent neck tension as long as it's adjusted the same each time you crimp a batch.
Consistent neck tension, along with other aspects of brass preparation bring better results....
No, you don't have to change your propellant charge .... unless you want to.

For the cost of the Lee FC die I think it's worth buying & using. It works for me, I crimp everything.
Not saying it will work for you, but I can't see it would not, or be beneficial.
Crimping does not change POI in my experience. But it brings consistent neck tension as long as it's adjusted the same each time you crimp a batch.
Consistent neck tension, along with other aspects of brass preparation bring better results....
Thanks for that Deeango

Keep hold of that Lee Loader set in 6.5x55; it has been discontinued by Lee and they’re becoming rare as hens’ teeth in this calibre.

Keep hold of that Lee Loader set in 6.5x55; it has been discontinued by Lee and they’re becoming rare as hens’ teeth in this calibre.
I know! - delighted to find one at sportsman gun centre that was old stock. Surprised it is discontinued as 6.5x55 is popular over the pond with old boys and ex military shooters, who must be biggest users of lee loaders?

I have no reloading experience to speak of, and have cautiously (with the help of others on here) finally tested out my first loads.

I was kindly supplied with a few bits by Scott on here, including some cases which are next to work up to ready for stalking (thanks Scott).

I ran 0.5 grain variants with n160 and pro hunter 120s and some new ppu cases I was given.

The results for the 45 and 45.5 grain were the best shooting from a sand bag - picture attached this is actually a 5 shot group, it says 4, at 100m. I ran out at 46 grain and didn’t try any above this. Following Muir’s advice I loaded to the standard length in the Sierra handbook.

I can’t see much need to chase anything (for my simple requirements - stalking up to say 175m) but I am interest on peoples views on what now might make the most difference to tightening the group (ps very happy with this group for what I need and the technology used. The chance of having a morning on a range is few and far between so likely will never do it).

All loaded with a lee loader and hammer, with the addition of a set of scales (I may now go to a scoop if there is one the right size in my Lee box of scoops.)

What is everyone’s view on what might make the most difference here? Are these the right things to think of? For my knowledge and understanding, I doubt I will get round to doing it. Likely to be my shooting that is the biggest variable here anyway.

Thanks in advance

Any idea of speed of these pills at that load?

Thanks in advance

You're welcome, nice results!! :)

Back