6.5x55 views please

JMH123

I'd love to try this round in a classic stalking rifle. I love 7x57 but have two rifles in this caliber and quite fancy swapping out the more ordinary of the two for a 6.5.

Thoughts on the 6.5 as a caliber much appreciated. I'll want to rely on factory ammo.

Thanks

Apthorpe

I'm also interested to hear people's experiences with this calibre. I have a different sort of 6.5 (x54) and the 160 grain bullets, while quite slow, certainly seem to knock things down very hard without much damage at shorter / average stalking range. Quite gentle to shoot too, little recoil and not particularly loud. I haven't shot that much with it, but what I have shot fell on the spot. I would be very confident of these bullets killing anything you'd find in the UK. The factory ammo I've been using isn't directly comparable to what you'd buy for a 6.5x55 now....
20160928_113850.jpg

Apologies if this isn't directly relevant, but I might be interested in the "more ordinary" 7x57 if and when.....

markyw

It's a thing of beauty. Accurate, easy to load for, great BC and quite mild recoil.

I have a 1920 Swedish Mauser that shoots like a dream. Just about to put it through its paces as a target rifle out to 600yds as it has diopter sights and a 29" barrel.

You won't regret it. Good luck.

Regards

Mark

deeangeo

Nothing at all wrong with this cartridge. Friends have them & knocking red stags over with them right now using SST's. An excellent deer rifle.

I'll be buried with my 6.5x55mm Sako 75. With 140gr (soon to be 143gr in Hornady ELD-X), you'll knock over anything that the UK has to offer. Newer rifles can chuck rounds downrange at "enough" pace, you just need to understand what the round will do beyond 200yds, and that needs time at the range. Yes, it's not a flat calibre, but why does it need to be if you can dial in, or just stalk closer.

There's no magic bullet or calibre, but the x55 with 140gr ammo is close enough for me.

pendle

I'll be buried with my 6.5x55mm Sako 75. With 140gr (soon to be 143gr in Hornady ELD-X), you'll knock over anything that the UK has to offer. Newer rifles can chuck rounds downrange at "enough" pace, you just need to understand what the round will do beyond 200yds, and that needs time at the range. Yes, it's not a flat calibre, but why does it need to be if you can dial in, or just stalk closer.

There's no magic bullet or calibre, but the x55 with 140gr ammo is close enough for me.
Well said . Loaded to skan data not far off 6.5 creedmore . 6.5x47 .260 speeds sst 120 grn 140 grn are awsome

foxinmad

100% agree with you on this one! I won't part with my Sako 75 either :cool:

sauer

I asked same question short while ago & as mentioned above modern rifles can take lot more than the original rifles in this caliber .
Load modern rifles to Skan data as said & apparently a fantastic round.
I'm thinking if & when I shoot out my .25-06 of rebarreling to this .

Paul

tikka_madras

Mild, accurate, drops seemingly anything. I use it as 'one rifle for everything' and have taken everything from red stags to yearling muntjac. Get very few runners too, almost all drop to shot. Currently using 120gn Sierra pro hunters and very happy with them.

jackfish

Fantastic caliber, which I will most certainly keep at my disposal as long as I'm stalking. Currently running home loaded 129g SST's and 120g Pro Hunters through mine, very accurate.

Using it in Norma 140gr Partitions for a long time. Everything from Roe up to the biggest Wildebeest and Kudu I've ever shot.

I usually shoot 285gr in 9.3 x 62 on big stuff/Boar but don't have an issue with the 140gr Swede.

Stan

alberta boy

It's a great old round , I've had a few , in one form or another , for about 35 years . It will cleanly take any deer , including Moose , that we have . It wouldn't be my first choice for Grizzly , but I know of a few that were taken with a 6.5 . Like Smullery , I settled on 140 gr partitions for everything years ago , they work on everything I've shot .
It has light recoil , good bullet selection and ample power for most game within reason . If I didn't own one already , I'd buy one in a heart beat .

AB

Dorsettaff

I'm a fairly recent "convert" to the Swede....having used everything from .243 to 9.3...the Swede now does it all for me.

Home loads with 140gr bullets over RL22, RS70, N160/165, it has knocked over everything from New Forest Reds to little munties.

Used it up at Orion.....clanging steel at 1000m consistently and accurately.

Mild recoil, easy to load for, great BC...world wide supply of ammo......What is there not to like??

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I used it for years, well that and a 7x57, and cannot fault it. It caused rutting reds and sika to lay down with not trouble at all, excellent round.

John

pj1

Its one calibre that has eluded my cabinet so far. after lots of reading when i first started with rifles i decided i wanted a .22 hornet and a swede. so far the hornet is all ive managed. a friend has one a sako 75. lovely round with little recoil and the report from it is a long low noise rather than and sharp boom compared to my 308. a sako 85 bavarian would be greatfully recieved if anyone has one spare

Tarvie

This is a hat trick of endorsements for the Sako 75 in 6.5x55. Have had mine for 15years and will not part with it. Great cartridge which as others have said is easy to reload for and superb with 140gr Nosler partitions. Like any calibre you still need to do your bit with bullet placement but so far I have never lost a beast. I will be out on the hill in Perthshire next week and know the old Swedish Mauser will not let me down!
ATB
Tarvie

Boomerang

My R8 in 6.5x55 loves RWS DK 140gr ammo - definitely a keeper caliber for me. At the range I have shot with target ammo (142gr SMK bullets) from 100 - 600 yards. Elevation generally spot on once scope dialled - although i have a bit to learn about reading the wind, particularly past 300 yards, but can't fall the rifle or calibre for that! :)

This is an interesting read and don't be fooled by the filename - http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/30cal_fullVersion.pdf