6.5x55SE, Hornady 123gn SST & Viht. N560

deeangeo

Is anyone out there shooting/testing this combination?
I'm not interested in N160 or other propellants I have a good load with N160, but am looking at trying Viht. N560 & if anyone has good (or not) feedback with it on this cartridge/calibre.
Cheers, d

I did try N560 in my 6.5x57R (k95 so loaded to rimless pressures) and found it too slow with 120gr Ballistic Tips in a 26" barrel. By too slow I mean MV slower and much muzzle flash. I found N550 much better for 120s. Same for RL22 which didn't perform until 140gr (at which point it was great)

deeangeo

I did try N560 in my 6.5x57R (k95 so loaded to rimless pressures) and found it too slow with 120gr Ballistic Tips in a 26" barrel. By too slow I mean MV slower and much muzzle flash. I found N550 much better for 120s. Same for RL22 which didn't perform until 140gr (at which point it was great)
Ok thanks

banus

good morning,i have used n560 <48gr> 123 amax out o my 20" barrelled tikka sv with a muzzle velocity of 2640fps average of 10 shots.not too fast but very accurate and effective.this may be too much for your rifle so work up! i now use 129 sst as cant find the amax any more.

deeangeo

good morning,i have used n560 <48gr> 123 amax out o my 20" barrelled tikka sv with a muzzle velocity of 2640fps average of 10 shots.not too fast but very accurate and effective.this may be too much for your rifle so work up! i now use 129 sst as cant find the amax any more.
Thanks banus, I’ve done some testing & worked up to 49gns, Various seating depths, in a Lakelander rifle, 23” barrel, but failed to get the results I had achieved using H4350.
I get consistent groups of around .75” MOA, and just about acceptable for deer, but the consistent .25”MOA or very slightly larger are eluding me. The 123gn SST bullet works just fine, and I had thought the Viht. N560 would be appropriate.
Looks like I’ll have to try another propellant.

IMHO high energy powders need to produce speeds that make the barrel wear worthwhile. When they are too slow to get a decent pressure curve you get poor velocity, increased muzzle pressure (and potentially worse accuracy) as well as wear which isnt ideal!