6 Year old GWP, can it be trained

Waterbuck

In a nutshell;

Very well bred GWP bitch, awesome nose but very hard wired on birds. Mother was a forestry commission deer dog. Due to unforseen circumstances she has never been used on deer. She loves following a trail but is it too late to train her up. If not could anyone suggest someone to help me go forward. Notts/Lincs area

countrryboy

With many breeds i'd say possibly/probably but GWP's can be difficult esp at that age, it will all depend on its previous 6 yrs.
Somwetimes well bred dogs can actually be harder to train/retrain as they can be so highly driven and focussed and there nose is so good, sometimes far to clever (or atleast for me)

It will all depend on the dog, its nature, wot its been allowed to do up till now?
Is it a trained gun/bird dog? Or has it been a pet running wild chasing birds? 2 very different things

Wot are u wanting it to do? Just walk to heel while out stalking and eventually indicate deer and find any that run off?? That could be possible as not that hard really

Really u just have to work away with the dog
Is Rory Major bryanscroft gundogs not down Lincs way? 1 of the best hpr trainers in UK i'm sure with a couple of 1-1 lessons he'll evaluate and tell u how to train it going forward for wot u want if ur not sure urself.
It should be possible but will all depend on the dog itself and u as a trainer

Otherwise have a look on KC website for local HPR clubs, if u contact them they could tell u of local trainers, or look for registered breeders again could tell u local trainers
Also u have ur UKDTR boys on here, mibee 1 of them could offer advise (althou prob the sort of thing u have to see the dog to get decent advise)

jimmy milnes

With many breeds i'd say possibly/probably but GWP's can be difficult esp at that age, it will all depend on its previous 6 yrs.
Somwetimes well bred dogs can actually be harder to train/retrain as they can be so highly driven and focussed and there nose is so good, sometimes far to clever (or atleast for me)

It will all depend on the dog, its nature, wot its been allowed to do up till now?
Is it a trained gun/bird dog? Or has it been a pet running wild chasing birds? 2 very different things

Wot are u wanting it to do? Just walk to heel while out stalking and eventually indicate deer and find any that run off?? That could be possible as not that hard really

Really u just have to work away with the dog
Is Rory Major bryanscroft gundogs not down Lincs way? 1 of the best hpr trainers in UK i'm sure with a couple of 1-1 lessons he'll evaluate and tell u how to train it going forward for wot u want if ur not sure urself.
It should be possible but will all depend on the dog itself and u as a trainer

Otherwise have a look on KC website for local HPR clubs, if u contact them they could tell u of local trainers, or look for registered breeders again could tell u local trainers
Also u have ur UKDTR boys on here, mibee 1 of them could offer advise (althou prob the sort of thing u have to see the dog to get decent advise)
Rory''s not doing one to ones anymore last I spoke with him CB as I was after some.
Regards
Jimmy

Rifle shot

Try Des Jenkin, his number can be reached via UKDTR. He traines all breeds of dog. I remember him training a GSP some 25 + years ago. The dog was called Fred he was the size of a Donkey and he was going to be shot for worrying sheep. Des took the dog home and after a few weeks he was as steady a dog you could wish for. He was used for the grouse counts, tracking and picking up as well as shooting over.
RS

"Just walk to heel while out stalking and eventually indicate deer and find any that run off?? That could be possible as not that hard really"

Just? That's the holy grail. I'm not suited to GWPs (and I did try) but if you add steady to game and not whining you have a very good dog.

Siggy

What CarlW said....my old GWP switched from birds to deer, all be it at a younger age. Get her walking to heel and used to whispered sit and stay commands. A few simple blood trails and she should be good to go. If you stalk through somewhere which is stocked with pheasants you’re going to have a challenge and a confused dog!

stone

Simple thing to do is try a couple of skin drags
If this works out ok
Then switch to hoof drags
From there scent shoes
I’m in Warwickshire and run deer track training days
my next day is not till march
But would be happy to help asses your dog and yourself to see if I can help

johngryphon

At six the dog/bitch may just have habits accrued from under previous owner/s that can be frign tiresome.
I see a lot more in starting off anew with a young one instead as being a far better option.

People DONT give or sell GOOD dogs. GOOD dogs stay forever.

McKenzie

What CarlW said....my old GWP switched from birds to deer, all be it at a younger age. Get her walking to heel and used to whispered sit and stay commands. A few simple blood trails and she should be good to go. If you stalk through somewhere which is stocked with pheasants you’re going to have a challenge and a confused dog!
This. 95 % of the time they will be walking to heel anyway. I try to avoid anywhere with squirrels (& cats) as they are my GWP's weakness. Walking to heel was a challenge but we did get there in the end. Getting them to track is ****-easy; it's getting them NOT to track that's usually the issue.

AndrewS

Hi McKenzie

"Walking to heel was a challenge but we did get there in the end" - give us a clue, how did you get there??? Mine is OK sometimes, other times she thinks "Heel" is about 6" in front of the end of the lead...

countrryboy

I know i gave myself tennis elbow with my wire getting him to heel right
Was great up to 9 month then was bllody hard work for a while, in the end he'd walk perfectly on/off lead and with the rest of my dogs too

Persevereance and consistancy is the only way to go, 1 trick that really saved me was forming the slip ead into a figure of 8/halti type thing
Basically put the slip lead on as norm, make a right big loop give it a twist and flip it over its nose, once they get used to it it takes very light pressure to correct them

Rifle shot

Hi,
One has to remember that HPR breeds like spaniels are always a chore to get them to heal like the retriever breeds. However One way i used to achieve this was, besides the usual snatch on the lead with the heal command, was to dramatically alter the direction I was walking. Even to get the dog to sit evertime I stop.
RS