7 year old Lab bleeding from penis.

Rimotu66

Sorry not a deer dog but have just seen a few drips of blood on the kitchen floor, examined my Lab and he is dripping blood from his penis, not a lot but obviously not normal, any advice. I will call the vets but its bank holiday.

Internal as far as I can tell, its stopped now, vet says to monitor and take him in Tuesday unless he struggles passing or goes off colour, also told me to give him 1/2 paracetamol. Hopefully nothing to worry about but just got in a bit of a panic.

by the sound of the advice from your vet its nothing to panic about, but its only natural to be concerned, hope he gets better soon
Ray

Thanks, hopefully it wont be but I will take him on Tuesday, just checked and theres nothing there, hes his usual daft self.

get to the vets,my boy did this and was squatting to pee took him to vet saw a young lady she said all ok two weeks later had to carry him to vets lost him two days later,vet kept him in and phoned us late in the night to go to him we did and they said nothing they could do so we said our good buys ,my storm was 91/2years young.enlarged prostate and blood poisoning,had the first vet bothered to do correct checks my boy would be with me today.get your dog check out asap

Thanks Banus, I will be keeping a very close eye on him and will definitely be taking him on Tuesday (sooner if he goes off colour) and the vet also said to take a pee sample in with us.

Take the dog in ASAP, we lost our cocker due to crystals forming down the penis to the kidneys. Is he on dried food?

He is and always has been on Chudleys original watered.

I must state though he is as normal as he has ever been and is passing 1's and 2's as always. No blood since the first few drops.

Get him checked, unusual for males to get urine infection, which our dog was diagnosed with at first, due to blood drops in urine. Our dog went from picking pigeons up on a Saturday afternoon, to being quiet and struggling to urinate on the Sunday, taken to vets Monday morning. As you say take a urine sample.

All normal for him, first couple of the day are dry'ish and firm, next couple are wetter and looser but this has always been the case. I will check tomorrow again.

Thanks guys for all the kind words and advice, thought I had better update.

Alvy went to the vets yesterday for a check up, I did manage to get a pee sample even though I got most of it over my hand, turned out he has blood and protein in his pee so 7 days of antibiotics for cystitis. He was back in this morning for a scan, prostate enlarged by 2>3cm and some fluid next to prostate but no growths or tumors etc. Vet says to have his nuts removed which will (99% certain) return everything to normal so the poor lads off in on Friday morning to lose his manhood.

What do his testicles have to do with the symptoms?
By removing the testes the enlarged prostrate should settle. Sounds like the vet believes the symptoms are linked.
ive had two dogs over the years (both GSP's) with similar and the op was successful and did not appear to unduly bother the dog.
Good luck to the op and his pal..

I had the same problem with a 4 year old cocker about 12 years ago. The vet discovered an enlarged prostate and recommended castration. Followed the advise and he lived to 13 without another hint of a problem.

Thanks guys, very reassuring. Yes the vet is saying the problems are linked to his enlarged prostate, he will need another scan about 6 weeks after the chop so it will be crossed fingers until then. Cheers, Jon.

Thanks guys, very reassuring. Yes the vet is saying the problems are linked to his enlarged prostate, he will need another scan about 6 weeks after the chop so it will be crossed fingers until then. Cheers, Jon.

Hi Jon
Hope everything goes well, I have 2 westie dogs and as we had no intention of breeding from them vet advised we have them snipped, told us it would calm them down,,,,,,,no danger , wild buggers,, but assured us it would prevent a lot of problems down the line and give them a longer life, so after a bit of independent research, we went ahead, bit early to say about the lifespan as they are only 2 1/2 and 3 years now but they have both been healthy and no problems so far
please keep us posted on progress
Ray

Back