75gr amax in tikka 22-250?

pasky

Thinking about trying some 75gr Amax in my factory 22-250 tikka (1:14"), and just wondering if they will stabilise theoretically? Has one had any success with these in a standard tikka or anything with the same barrel twist.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
​Joe

pendle

I was looking at using them in my 22.250 but the gun shop i was getting them form said i would need a faster twist and advised against it.

sir-slots-alot

Thinking about trying some 75gr Amax in my factory 22-250 tikka (1:14"), and just wondering if they will stabilise theoretically? Has one had any success with these in a standard tikka or anything with the same barrel twist.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
​Joe

I ran a Tikka 22.250 shooting nothing but the 75 grn Amax for several seasons.

You need a 9 twist minimum to stabilze those pills.

Once you get the right twist rate - the 22.250 out performs a standard 243 - I had both calibres at the same time and know from experience

ATB
Alan

see it shoot it

I ran a Tikka 22.250 shooting nothing but the 75 grn Amax for several seasons.

You need a 9 twist minimum to stabilze those pills.

Once you get the right twist rate - the 22.250 out performs a standard 243 - I had both calibres at the same time and know from experience

ATB
Alan

how does it out perform a 243 ???

sir-slots-alot

My 22.250 fired a bullet with a BC of 0.435 at 3360 fps.

The three 243 rifles I have owned could launch an 87 grn Vmax at 3250 - 3300 fps with a BC of 0.400

So it shoots a better BC bullet , faster

The 22.250 can also launch a 53 grn Vmax ( BC 0.289) at 3800 fps

You have to look at the 70 + grns range of 6mm bullets to find a similar BC - and the 243 is sgnificantly down on that velocity.

Alan

see it shoot it

My 22.250 fired a bullet with a BC of 0.435 at 3360 fps.

The three 243 rifles I have owned could launch an 87 grn Vmax at 3250 - 3300 fps with a BC of 0.400

So it shoots a better BC bullet , faster

The 22.250 can also launch a 53 grn Vmax ( BC 0.289) at 3800 fps

You have to look at the 70 + grns range of 6mm bullets to find a similar BC - and the 243 is sgnificantly down on that velocity.

Alan
forgive me for stating the obvious but how can you compare a 75gr bullet against an 87ge bullet,surely to get a true test both rifle must shoot the same weight of bullet or your finding mean nothing
a 243 with a 75 gr pill will easy outrun a 22.250 with the same weight bullet
we all know Horanadys BC is a bit on the high side plus there line of bullets have somewhat slipped in quality wouldn't you say
a 243 can launch a 58 gr pill at 3800 with ease

Last edited:

sir-slots-alot

The reason I compared the 75 grn Amax in 224 cal with the 87 grn Vmax in 243 cal, is because bullets are of similar BC's - and that is the fairest way . In order to achieve the same BC bullet as a 75 grn Amax - you need to look at 90 + grn bullets in 243.

Your last post illustrates this point perfectly - - Yes the 58 grn Vmax in 243 can easily reach 3800 fps - but it only has a BC of 0.250 ( Brian Litz independently measured the BC at 0.238 )

Whereas the 53 grn Vmax in 224 cal has a genuine BC of 0289 - this means it flies flatter - and retains more energy at longer range.

I know I wont convince you - and I don't feel the need to try - But it is worth noting that only one of us can speak from direct experience of owning both the 22.250 shooting 75 grn bullets and directly comparing it to a 243'.

Mine is a unbiased opinion based on experience of firing thousands of rounds using both cals and if that not good enough, just plug the numbers into any ballistic program.

I am not knocking the 243 But the OP asked specifically about the 22.250 shooting a 75 grn bullet - your solution of getting a 243 in preference, wont give him any ballistic advantage - in fact it will be slightly worse ballistically.

Live long and prosper
Alan

Last edited:

see it shoot it

The reason I compared the 75 grn Amax in 224 cal with the 87 grn Vmax in 243 cal, is because bullets are of similar BC's - and that is the fairest way . In order to achieve the same BC bullet as a 75 grn Amax - you need to look at 90 + grn bullets in 243.

Your last post illustrates this point perfectly - - Yes the 58 grn Vmax in 243 can easily reach 3800 fps - but it only has a BC of 0.250 ( Brian Litz independently measured the BC at 0.238 )

Whereas the 53 grn Vmax in 224 cal has a genuine BC of 0289 - this means it flies flatter - and retains more energy at longer range.

I know I wont convince you - and I don't feel the need to try - But it is worth noting that only one of us can speak from direct experience of owning both the 22.250 shooting 75 grn bullets and directly comparing it to a 243'.

Mine is a unbiased opinion based on experience of firing thousands of rounds using both cals and if that not good enough, just plug the numbers into any ballistic program.

I am not knocking the 243 But the OP asked specifically about the 22.250 shooting a 75 grn bullet - your solution of getting a 243 in preference, wont give him any ballistic advantage - in fact it will be slightly worse ballistically.

Live long and prosper
Alan
its all numbers on paper mate,if its that good why did you sell it ?? and what do you shoot now 6mm isn't it

Ronin

Distinguished Member
75g A Max great in 8 twist barrel.

Id use 75g 224 over 75g 6mm any day.

6mm only becomes interesting using 105 0r 107 bullets.....

sir-slots-alot

75g A Max great in 8 twist barrel.

Id use 75g 224 over 75g 6mm any day.

6mm only becomes interesting using 105 0r 107 bullets.....

Thank you.
Someone with some experience.

Yes.
Funny enough I re-barrelled my 22.250 into a 243 with a Trueflite 8 twist barrel.
The 22.250 had done a lot of rounds and I acquired 1100 acres of new land and needed something deer legal that could still reach out there.

To that end the 105 Amax go very sweetly.

see it shoot it

I didn't sell it.

I have noticed that you like to quote numbers to prove your point - but when the figures don't go your way - well - its all just numbers on paper. :rolleyes:

Yes - I have a 6BR - what's your point :confused:.
I see you re barrelled it,may I ask why if it was so good surely its must be batter than a 6br seeing the 243 uses the same bullet
only reason I ask is I may have a calibre change soon

Last edited:

pasky

Thanks for all the replies lads, looks like I won't be using 75gr Amax's then, well not atleast until it needs a new barrel! I'll stick with the 50gr vmax and might give the 52gr amaxs a try!
ATB
Joe

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
I just rebarreled my 22250 to shoot the 75amax.
At 370m they blow through 6mm steel gongs. yet expand on foxes like you wouldn't believe.
the .243 with 55-90 gr just leave a splash mark.
they seriously outperform downrange as they have a good B.C.
muzzle velocity means little its what happens at 200-400 to me.
wouldn't go back now though my 1-9 twist still shoot the 50's very well anyway.

sir-slots-alot

I see you re barrelled it,may I ask why if it was so good surely its must be batter than a 6br seeing the 243 uses the same bullet
only reason I ask is I may have a calibre change soon

Yes it is better ballistically than the BR by a good margin.
I am not convinced that the BR is the best platform to launch the 105 / 107 grn bullets. I am only getting 2660 fps.
My last 243 with an 8 twist easily attained 3000 fps - that's a big difference.