7mm-08 Interesting Article.

Redneck

Having bought a Kimber 7mm-08 with a 18" barrel and finding it shoots 120grn bullets with great accuracy but far from satisfactory with the 139SST I wanted to use I have been very interested to read the article from Terminal Ballistics http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

I have ordered a TX3 SS lite in Left hand but its special order 6 month wait. It comes with 22" barrel. Luckily for me I have a variation for another of the same calibre.

To get to the point the article praises A-MAX bullets in 162Grn as a great hunting bullet ?? Somewhat different outlook to what has been talked about frequently on different forums.

Suggest anyone with this calibre will find the article worth reading at least

Cheers Redneck

Highlandsjohn

Having bought a Kimber 7mm-08 with a 18" barrel and finding it shoots 120grn bullets with great accuracy but far from satisfactory with the 139SST I wanted to use I have been very interested to read the article from Terminal Ballistics http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/7mm-08+Remington.html

I have ordered a TX3 SS lite in Left hand but its special order 6 month wait. It comes with 22" barrel. Luckily for me I have a variation for another of the same calibre.

To get to the point the article praises A-MAX bullets in 162Grn as a great hunting bullet ?? Somewhat different outlook to what has been talked about frequently on different forums.

Suggest anyone with this calibre will find the article worth reading at least

Cheers Redneck
Aye Redneck you should have stuck to plan A with my sons LH Tikka and fitted the barrel of your choice... Good luck with the TX3 :thumb:

Tom D

I've read a few of Nathan's books, the reason for the amax preference is that despite it being classified as a target bullet it is actually very soft and so at extreme ranges it can still be relied upon to expand where other bullets may leave pencil holes and running game. I have no reason to doubt Nathan's experiences of amax, he has clearly shot a lot of game with it and he has been documenting bullet performance for years. However at normal stalking ranges there are plenty of bullets that will do just as good a job. I quite like the 150gn Nosler ballistic tip. But I am about to load up some Speer 145gn soft points to see how they go.

Highlandsjohn

I've read a few of Nathan's books, the reason for the amax preference is that despite it being classified as a target bullet it is actually very soft and so at extreme ranges it can still be relied upon to expand where other bullets may leave pencil holes and running game. I have no reason to doubt Nathan's experiences of amax, he has clearly shot a lot of game with it and he has been documenting bullet performance for years. However at normal stalking ranges there are plenty of bullets that will do just as good a job. I quite like the 150gn Nosler ballistic tip. But I am about to load up some Speer 145gn soft points to see how they go.
Thank you for that.Both the Speer 145 and Sierra Gameking 150 are excellent,expanding and retaining about 80%..I have a pic..
View attachment 72879

Last edited:

Southern

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35mm scope. Very light to carry and very accurate.
You don't need expensive bullets. Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady, Speer and PPU will do the job. There is such a huge selection. You could just pick one and hunt everything in your area, out to 300 yards with ease and punch.
The Speer 145 BTSP is sleek, accurate, and great terminal performance. Same is true for Sierra 140 and 150 Gamekings.

Redneck

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm-08, with 2-7x35mm scope. Very light to carry and very accurate.
You don't need expensive bullets. Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady, Speer and PPU will do the job. There is such a huge selection. You could just pick one and hunt everything in your area, out to 300 yards with ease and punch.
The Speer 145 BTSP is sleek, accurate, and great terminal performance. Same is true for Sierra 140 and 150 Gamekings.
Hi Southern
Will be taking the Tikka to SA on Plains Game and some of them are a fair size animal. I did shoot a range of stuff this year with the Kimber and 139SST. Did the job but not just as you would like.

Take your point John but that still makes for quite an expensive rifle if you are putting any kind of decent barrel on its around £800.00. Besides having got rid of my 243 having two 7mm-08 different set ups is just the job. Plus the new TX3 has a couple of good improvements.

Highlandsjohn

Hi Southern
Will be taking the Tikka to SA on Plains Game and some of them are a fair size animal. I did shoot a range of stuff this year with the Kimber and 139SST. Did the job but not just as you would like.

Take your point John but that still makes for quite an expensive rifle if you are putting any kind of decent barrel on its around £800.00. Besides having got rid of my 243 having two 7mm-08 different set ups is just the job. Plus the new TX3 has a couple of good improvements.
:D Just a wind up Redneck.:thumb: Sold it a couple days later. You done it the right way, great calibre...john

lochty

Interesting. I started out using Federal 140 gr Fusions in mine (see separate thread) but after a few odd results, with bullets turning through 90 degrees inside animals, I went over to using Federal 150 gr softpoints, and recently 140 gr Winchester softpoints. Both of these seem to be doing the job just fine. Great calibre, just needs some experimentation to get the best out of your barrel.

Slurpy Sam

I've just acquired a 7/08 strasser straight pull R14 after nearly a years wait from sportsman's gun centre Dorset and have also loaded 139 sst to try out with a view to them being my go to bullet but I also have 120 speers as a back up haven't had any time to test and chrono yet though and mine have 22 " barrel?

Southern

If you think the 139-gr SST is too frangible for larger game or closer ranges on the African plains, load up some 140-gr Barnes TSX to go along with a good 140-gr SPT. I love the 154-gr Hornady bullets and 160-gr Sierra bullets in my 7x64 and .280 Rem, but they get to be a bit heavy for the 7mm-08. The 120-gr Nosler BT shoots fast and flat, and is pretty stoutly constructed, but beyond 250 yards, the 140-gr boattails shoot flatter and with more energy on target.

Tom D

Another one to. Consider is the swift. Scirocco. They are a fairly tough flat shooting design..

Redneck

Southern

That's what I will be trying when I get the Tikka. A Barnes 140grn bullet. The PH I was with uses them in a 7 x 57 and reports good results on fairly large plains game.

Will keep the Kimber18" barrel job on 120grns Speers for Roe and suchlike. Its such a nice little action, good stock and I`m glad I got it sorted out before frustration made me rebarrel the thing.

Southern

Craig Boddington, who has been on over 40 safaris, took his daughter on one where she took everything with one shot each, up to and including an eland, with a 7mm-08 and 140-gr Nosler Partition. This was in the days before the Accubond, and before the TSX and TTSX sorted out the problems of the older Barnes bullets.

Sinistral

Hi Southern

6 – 12 months wait for a 7mm-08? One would hope that this magical calibre is worth it.

I’ve never seen the point in having 2 rifles in the same calibre where you are stretching things to get a marginal improvement. If heading for a plains game safari I’d have suggested ordering a 7mm RM instead. As an established calibre the Tikka is more available in this in left-hand. This would work with the full 140gr to 175gr line-up, and have the range & the clout for anything.

Interesting 7mm-08 article, but the quote below (admittedly selective) doesn’t inspire............

Generally speaking, most current factory 140 grain 7mm08 loads achieve 2800-2840fps from 22” barrels. Killing performance tends to duplicate the 6.5x55. At close ranges, wounding on medium game is broad and kills are very fast. At ranges beyond 150 yards, as velocity falls below 2600fps, kills can be delayed. On tough animals, kills may be so slow as to allow animals to escape great distances.

At the a fore mentioned ranges beyond 150 yards and using factory 140 grain ammunition, the hunter should aim to break the foreleg bones of game. Both rear lung and neck shots from various brands of 7mm-08 ammunition often result in very slow killing at extended ranges. With care to shot placement, the 7mm08 gives excellent results and like the 6.5x55, it is all too easy to become lulled into a false sense of security. It is therefore not unusual to have a string of successes followed by an abysmal failure after neglecting the above mentioned shot placement.

hybridfiat

There is an article out there somewhere where a writer has done a meta-study on new military calibers. His study uses research done by European, British and American military centres. It concludes that; the 6.5mm is the best for inherent accuracy and bullet weight (to keep carried weight low) and the 7mm best overall for terminal ballistics (stopping power), so the compromise is a 6.8mm caliber in a NATO 47mm or Remington .30cal case.
Any of the above are excellent calibers but my vote for best all round deer case would be a 7mm/08. Since I don't have to lug 200 rounds with me any more.

Redneck

I`m going to have two of the same calibre because I can and I like it. Got a 30-06 as well so covered if more oomph is needed.

7mm-08 accounts for a lot of deer in the US.

finnbear270

Interesting to see, non of our American cousins commenting on the ORIGINAL packaging of A Max bullets, I still have a couple here some where's I'm sure. .. CXP 2 I think it was.

Last edited: