7mm 08 load

cervushunter

Hi guys and gals!
I currently use a sako 75 st syn 7mm 08 through it i put nosler 140g ballistic silvertips with 47g of RL19 ,cci large rifle primers and fc brass.
I shoot mainly red but some roe,
Now i am happy with this load in that it certainly knocks the deer over but maybe it could be a little better :!:i shoot average groups mostly around the 1" size , i would like to get cloverleaf if possible. Another reason to try another bullet load etc is just to try it as i have never used anything else.
Does anybody have a load i could try that could suit my needs :???:

I would like to stick with 140g if possible ;)

I am not too bothered by carcass damage(i have been using b tips remember) :eek:

I sometimes shoot out to 200 yards but mainly 50-100 in woodlands where i would like to drop the deer as soon as possible(i rarely head or neck shoot beasts) :eek:

Thanks in advance

mark.

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
mark also have the sako 75 7mm 08
the best i got with recent batches of homeloads
around the one inch mark was R L 15 40 grains
140 grn siera g king

this may shoot a bit better for you as my barrel
was shortened .

all that has been blown out the water now though
was starting to develop a flinch lack of confidence
unmoderated so sent it off to my gunsmith he could also
struggle to get any consistenency with it so has
rebarrled re crowned moderated and ackley improved it
and tells me its shooting single hole groups .
its at the proof house due back this week
looking forward to shooting it know let you know how it goes
hope the above load data helps regards pete .

ejg

Mark, 1" isn't that bad. Maybe also check if the barrel is
realy free floating under all shooting positions.
Is the rifle pillar bedded?

I know my rifles can shoot 1/4" but I am not always able to.
Not easy to consitantly shoot under an inch anyway.

edi

Tikka 260

Hi

I ve just got my Sako 7-08 back with a LW barrel and some other bits on it, so it is time to develop a 'new' load for it.

I couldnt seem to get a meaningful load of RL19 into the Norma cases without going to compressed loads , which I am not keen on doing. So made up some from the Nosler book 5, using H414, from 44 - 46.5 Gns under 140 Accubond, with Fed GM210 primers.

All loads grouped under 1" , velocity from 2630 up to 2857 fps. The best load was the last one at just under .4" group at 100 metres. All bullets were seated .025" off the lands as a guesstimate for powder trial, maybe there are tunes to be played on the seating depth to further shrink the group, but that is getting to be about as good as I can shoot anyway most days.

So, a couple of clicks to the left and that will be good to go.

Any other ideas ?

ATB

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
tikka 260 nice informative post really helpfull
got my 7 mm 08 back fri went out sat zeroing
only got 150 grn factory at the minute
its been ackley improved as well so blowing out the
cases to load up the ackley round
got an inch group which i was quite pleased with under the
circumstances on returning home and mesureing the oal
the factorys are seated back 125 thou off the lands
gonna be using reloader 15 and h 414 as you have
i think you have a nice set up and got some great results :D
there ill let you know how the new loads go
did you neck your lapua brass down from 308 :???:
keep in touch regards pete .

Tikka 260

Excuse the delay in replying , I've been away for 10 days in the sunshine :)

The brass I am using now is Norma 7-08 , which came from Midway UK, relatively expensive way to go, and I was using Lapua .308 necked down which is a good and probably less expensive solution, but with a .260 in the cabinet using Lapua 243 brass necked up, I wanted to get the 'right' headstamp on the caes and lessen the margin for possible operator error.

I have now got some Nosler .260 brass, so the problem is solved both ways :)

The barrel is a LW super magnum sporter, the number is 1450 fluted at the factory, 1:10 twist, with chamber cut to minimum SAMMI specifications. at 22" length from the bolt face. It seems to shoot fine, without being over heavy for a stalking rifle.

Be sure to let us know how your load development goes , please .

ATB

P

Tikka 260

C_D

Sako built it originally as a 75 Finnlite. As it appears today, it was rebuilt and rehabilitated by "Dasherman" ( UKVarminting nick) and Kaleiderscope , who did the Duracoat job on the action/barrel. Someone else arranged the bolt fluting and supplied the replacement blank barrel.

ATB

P

Tikka 260

FWIW Another load if anyone is interested:

RL15 40.5 or 41.0 Gns Fed GM210M primers, Norma brass. Nosler 140Gn BT.

I tried the loads in the Nosler 5 book for this powder, got the best results as above at 2750 fps out of a 22" barrel at 25 thou off the lands. I have now tried it at 10, 20, 30, 40 thou off the lands and best results , under .5" at 100 metres is the 30 thou stand off. This shoots to the same point of aim and equivalent grouping with 140 Gn NBT or 140 Gn Accubonds. So I shall stick with BT for deer, and have some Accubonds loaded in case 'Pigs" appear on the menu.

The RL 15 load is gentler than H414 that I tried previously, with no signs of pressure in my rifle, very sweet to shoot !

Usual reminder to work up loads in your particular rifle , as they all differ.

Best

T260

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
tikka 260
also made up some rounds with re 15 and 120 and 140
prohunters b t
powder around the 40 grain mark
will be sticking with these now got to within 1/2 to 3/4 inch
groups thats good enough for me :D
regards pete .

Max

I have 7mm-08 Ackley that was built for me a few years back and with home loads it would shoot 3/4" at 100 yards fed with 130gr Sierra spitzer over 47.5gr of H414.

I know 3/4" is good enough for hunting but had an itch it could do better so had to scratch it.

I tried Varget and H4350 but they did not tighten the groups any better.

Then I thought if BL-C2 is good for 308 maybr it will work for 7mm-08 :rolleyes:

Below are the results, left and right in the black.

Target on right was 130gr Sierra spitzer over 44gr BL-C2.

Took it up to 44.5gr and target on left in pic is the result. Crono showed 2,989fps and no pressure signs so that wiil do untill I ger anoter itch I guess :rolleyes:

Cheers

Max

Philwilk

My two 'pennorth for what its worth. I also have a Sako 7mm08, stainless but laminate stock.

The following gives me cloverleaf groups at 100 yards when I do 'my bit' and they knock the deer down.

41.3 gns V140, Federal GM210M primer, 1910 Sierra 140gn bullet, COL 2.765.

Phil

ruki

Account Suspended
7MM08 LOADS

7MM08 120 PROHUNTER SIERRA N140 46 ACCURATE
7MM08 120 PROHUNTER SIERRA H4895 45.5
7MM08 130 HOTCOR PSPSPEER N140 42
7MM08 145 HOTCOR PSP RE19 49 ACCURATE

These are my favourite 7mm08 loads. My current best is either one of the 120 gr prohunter loads.

Mt rifle has an 18.5 inch barrel so doesn't make the most of the Re19 recipe. From a 24 inch barrel the book says that is good for 2933 fps (as memory serves me) with the 145 gr bullet that is a very potent load indeed.

I use cci primers and federal .308 cases necked down, full length sized each time. ultra sonic cleaning.

ruki

Sikaside

Hi, I also have a Sako 75,708 in stainless synthetic, it has a 20 inch barrel with a reflex mod, and a Smitchd and Bender 8x56 on top.

It will shoot one hole ragged groups all day, providing I do my bit, it likes 140gr Nosler and Winchester silver BT bullets, I use Varget 41.5gr of Varget with a muzzle velocity of around 2850fps.

It also likes 120gr Sierra SP, with a load of 44.5gr of Varget, with a muzzle velocity of 29950 fps. I use necked down Remington 308 casses, and CCI primers.

I hope this helps, all the best Nic, Sikaside Gundogs.