7mm Rem. Mag. PPU Brass

crow juice

Well I ordered a new Thompson Center Venture II in 7 mm Remington Mag. The only brass that I can get my hands on is PPU. Just thought I would see what your opinion is of this brass, as it is not as common here in the US as our domestic brands. I have used PPU 22 Hornet brass and it seems to be of good quality.

Heym SR20

Its good affordable brass. Seems quite soft when compared to RWS. How long it lasts - don’t know yet, but in the 223 am on the third loading, and no adverse signs or splits. And my loads shoot well.

It is much cheaper than Norma, Lapua etc and you have it available. I wouldn’t overthink it.

And PPU brass is used by some of the major loaders of target ammo in the UK.

scotsgun

Now that surprises me. I recently owned a Sako M995 in 7mm Rem Mag. It came with some Norma and Weatherby brass but i couldnt confirm number of loads, etc.

I bought some PPU brass from Kranks with which to achieve a basis but wouldn't rate it after a few loadings.

caberslash

The 'new' dimensions of the brass will matter just as much as the quality of materials and construction (if not more with the belted 7mm Rem Mag).

Most of the Euro manufacturers will presumably be basing their cases off 'CIP' specs whereas the Americans will be going with 'SAAMI' specs.

Furthermore, the Americans are more in tune with the idea of chambering the belted magnums to headspace off the shoulder and not the belt.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it is possible for a 7mm Rem Mag chambered to SAAMI specs to 'fail' on CIP gauges.

If you start out with undersize brass which headspaces off the belt, and blow it forward to the shoulder, then proceed to size it back to headspace off the belt again, you might not be getting the best out of your brass.

Not tested my ADG brass yet (my... precious! :love:) but have plenty of Remington and Federal to get preliminary loads established.

For the prices that CDSG are charging :cuckoo: for unprimed PPU : Prvi Partizan Rifle Brass 7mm REM MAG 50 Pack C115 - CDSG Ltd , I'd much rather buy 100 rounds at just over a pound a pop from Kranks: 7mm Rem Mag PSP BT 140gr PPU Prvi Partizan Rifle Ammunition Pack 100 - Centrefire Ammunition - AMMO , fire them off and look at how the brass has fireformed.

Namman

Well I ordered a new Thompson Center Venture II in 7 mm Remington Mag. The only brass that I can get my hands on is PPU. Just thought I would see what your opinion is of this brass, as it is not as common here in the US as our domestic brands. I have used PPU 22 Hornet brass and it seems to be of good quality.
Have used PPU brass in .223 , 243 , 270 , 308 , and .300 win mag. Have found it perfectly ok. Will be trying their 7mm Rem Mag next.

ApexOrdnance

I use PPU brass in .223 and .308, mainly because there is lots of it hanging about at the range. I've just binned a batch of 50 that was on its 11th firing, partly due to the primer pockets loosening up and partly due to feeling like I was chancing my luck. No other signs of wear. The 308 is on its 5th firing, hopefully make it to 10. My loads are conservative.

crow juice

Just an update , I got my PPU brass in. I have inspected it visually and it looks good. The primer pockets look fine and the flash holes don't seem to have any burrs. I am going to check the runout on the necks later this week.
It looks better than the New Winchester Brass (30-06) I bought a few weeks ago.

caberslash

Just an update , I got my PPU brass in. I have inspected it visually and it looks good. The primer pockets look fine and the flash holes don't seem to have any burrs. I am going to check the runout on the necks later this week.
It looks better than the New Winchester Brass (30-06) I bought a few weeks ago.

How much did you pay?

HandB

I like PPU brass. I use it for my .222 and 7x57. It's affordable, accurate, easy to prep and lasts for ages (I only neck size it).