A bit stuck....

oggy

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and fairly new to deer stalking (I've been once last April)

I'll be looking to get a dog to take stalking, but I'm a bit restricted in terms size of dog I can get.

realistically, what the smallest (yet manly grrr) dog I could train for tracking? I really wanted a lab, but my girlfriend is dead against it. She doesnt want a spaniel either. So I'm after a dog that will do the job, wont eat her cats and is fairly easy to train

I know I'm not asking much, but anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Oggy

stone

oggy said:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and fairly new to deer stalking (I've been once last April)

I'll be looking to get a dog to take stalking, but I'm a bit restricted in terms size of dog I can get.

realistically, what the smallest (yet manly grrr) dog I could train for tracking? I really wanted a lab, but my girlfriend is dead against it. She doesnt want a spaniel either. So I'm after a dog that will do the job, wont eat her cats and is fairly easy to train

I know I'm not asking much, but anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Oggy
no offence mate
but why not do a little more stalking first :???:
no point having a dedicated stalking dog if you only go out stalking once or twice a year

bogwelly

if your serious about stalking and keen enough to train a dog sounds like you might need to get a more compatable girlfriend!!!!

oggy

stone said:
no offence mate
but why not do a little more stalking first :???:
no point having a dedicated stalking dog if you only go out stalking once or twice a year
Fair point!!

I'm doing my DSC1 in March, and I'm joining a syndicate too. hopefully by late spring I will have somewhere to shoot regular (well, as regular as I can which will be probably 1 weekend in 3)

I went stalking in April with a guy whos been stalking for years (same guys whos syndicate I'm joining) and I was completley hooked!!

D

Davie

Oggy look at one of the coloured terriers Patterdale lakelands border etc ps use working stock all will track and hold deer if brought up from a pup they will be fine with the girlfriends cat. I worked both lakelands and Border terriers for years with great success.
It is probably not the time to train a dog while you are in fact learning the basics your self.:

Jagare

+1 for what 6.5x55 said i have a Cesky terrier that i use for finding deer.
Train it to be cat friedly as a pup. My Teckle will hunt cats with a vengence. Mind you cats are cheap. May be easier to change girl friends ;)

oggy

thanks for the info guys!!

anyone got any experience of the Manchester terrier or English Toy terrier?

or would they not be too suitable due to size?

8x57

Distinguished Member
And don't even think about a wirehaired pointer, I've had to bury two cats thanks to my soft old mutt.

D

Davie

Oggy I said go for working stock if you wanted a pot lick er or /fanny lick er then i can get you a goof laso apso :lol: :lol: :lol:

devilishdave

Dogs

My wife was the same as your girl friend so I went and got my Lab, unfortunately the wife hasn't left yet. To be honest a teckle will fit the bill but I think you would be hard pressed to stop it going for the cat but a lab will be fine with the cat if you get it as a pup. A good bit of advice on Dogs for deer is; go for one that has a nose.

Dave

doghound

Oggy some advice....

Why dogs are better than women....

Dogs don't cry

Dogs love it when your friends come over

Dogs don't care if you use their shampoo

Dogs think you sing great

A dog's time in the bathroom is confined to a quick drink

Dogs don't expect you to call when you're running late. The later you are, the more excited dogs are to see you

Dogs will forgive you for playing with other dogs

Dogs don't notice if you call them another dog's name

Dogs are excited by rough play

Dogs don't mind if you give their offspring away

Dogs can appreciate excessive body hair

Anyone can get a good looking dog

If a dog is gorgeous, other dogs don't hate it

Dogs don't shop

Dogs like it when you leave lots of things on the floor

Dogs never need to examine the relationship

A dog's parents never visit

Dogs love long car trips

Dogs understand that instincts are better than asking for directions

When a dog gets old and snaps at you incessantly, you can shoot it

Dogs like beer

Dogs don't hate their bodies

Dogs never criticize

Dogs agree that you have to raise your voice to get your point across

Dogs never expect gifts

Dogs don't worry about germs

Dogs don't want to know about every other dog you've had

Dogs don't let magazine articles guide their lives

You never have to wait for a dog, they're ready to go 24 hours a day

Dogs have no use for flowers, cards or jewelry

Dogs don't borrow your shirts

Dogs never want foot rubs

Dogs enjoy heavy petting in public

Dogs find you amusing when you're drunk

Dogs can't talk

Dogs seldom outlive you

So when is she going to make room for your new stalking pal?