A few Sambar

sharkey

Good on you, for showing these good folks some real deer."Cervus unicolor australis."

Cheers sharkey

digger9523

Try hunting them & then decide.

They are very dirrerent to paddock deer.

Cheers Sharkey
I've had a look for "Paddock Deer", can't find anything on them. Are you sure they're a UK species? What's their Latin name mate?

Do they look anything like these?

sharkey

Good shooting,nice steady rest or bipod? Shots taken beyond the flight zone of the deer? I do it myself on this species.
Not many trees or cover there!
Carry out? Or drive right up?

We call reds & fallow padock deer.These species will be found regularly in paddocks feeding half an hour before or after dark,sometimes well before.
Chital & rusa are also shot in the open.
Sambar will rarely be found away from cover,& posess a very different set of anti predator stratedgies.
Try hunting them before you decide or judge.
They "are" very different to "paddock deer".

Cheers Sharkey

Cougar

Good shooting,nice steady rest or bipod? Shots taken beyond the flight zone of the deer? I do it myself on this species.

We call reds & fallow padock deer.These species will be found regularly in paddocks feeding half an hour before or after dark,sometimes well before.
Sambar will rarely be found away from cover,& posess a very different set of anti predator stratedgies.

Cheers Sharkey
Thats over there not over here!

sharkey

Thanks Cougar.
How is the deer's behaviour that different between here & there?
Are your deer more cryptic?
Have ours become less wild in our landscape were space ,cover & a broad range of habitat allows them to express their ecological preferences.

Cheers sharkey

digger9523

We'd started at about 0630 that day, up on the hill in our old size 9's and got into the deer about 0745. Actually bagged 10 that morning. That pile of 6 was there after a lot of dragging from the higher ground behind us. The other 4 were lower down. After that picture was taken i roped 3 beasts together and dragged them down the hill on the snow until they were on a snowed in track, then it was back up for the other 3 while the other two boys dragged the other 4 beasts across. Then we had to get them all back down to an open track where they went onto the front loader of the tractor. Didn't get in for breakfast until 1430 ish that day. Probably would have shot them off of a bipod, but in that depth of snow the legs sink in, so it was all done in good old fashioned prone position without aids. Shots started going in at 60 odd yards, last beast was taken at 250, but we'd moved around the hill a bit to keep up with them, hence they were spread out over a wide area.

Cheers Sharkey