A fine pair of stutzens!

Night Vision Store

Pine Marten

After many months of scouring the classifieds and auction catalogues, I've finally taken delivery of a CZ425FS to match my Steyr Mannlicher 7mm08 stutzen. As you can see, they're almost exactly the same size, so the CZ will be perfect for cheaper practice, which was always the plan.

View attachment 30362

The CZ came with a Hawke Nite-Eye 3.5-10x50 IR, now for sale in the Classifieds section if anyone's interested. I plan to replace it with a Leupold VX-I 2-7x33, but until I have it, I'm not sure what mounts I need (yes Klenchblaize, I know, Conetrol ones...). I've added a couple of pics of the receiver and bolt clearance which may help the experts out there with suggestions!

View attachment 30363 View attachment 30364

Anyway, that's my battery complete for now.

6pt-sika

I'm not sure what mounts I need (yes Klenchblaize, I know, Conetrol ones...).

While some folks like them I've never been an advocate of Coentrol mounts . I've had a couple sets and while they worked okay I just never cared for them .

Same can be said for the old Bausch & Lomb external adjustment mounts for their old straight tube scopes . I got uhm and they work but I don't really like uhm !

Pine Marten

Well when I manage to source the scope, I shall have a look at what decent mounts are available at a reasonable price. I mean, I daresay Leupold's mounts for their own scopes work OK...

scrumbag

Famous last words! If cheap practice is called for, maybe you should acquire one of these too, even if the comb is the wrong shape!

I've already teased him about that one! And I notice he's gone for my scope choice despite deriding it initially "Can't put a Yankee scope on the CZ"... pah!

TOMHOWA

Always been a fan of stutzens but quite like being able to have a mod at the same time? Took an old german guy stalking down in the borders, he had a beautiful stutzen, the company name slips my mind!

Pine Marten

Thanks gents!

I really want to go and try the damned thing on the running boar now. I'm hoping to go to Bisley on Saturday 27th, imminent baby arrival permitting. I won't have a scope yet as I'm working on a scam with a friend in the US, but I'm happy to play around with the open sights, it will be like the old days... It does make me realise that I don't know much about rimfire ammunition though. I used to use .22LR all the time on targets at university, but I'd just use whatever ammunition the club was supplying. An advert for CCI in the ST has made me think that there's a huge range. Am I correct in thinking that subsonics are primarily designed for use with a moderator?

jthyttin

Am I correct in thinking that subsonics are primarily designed for use with a moderator?

No. Standard Velocity is the most used and it's either subsonic or transsonic depending on your rifle. Subsonics are a bit slower but they can too be transsonic. You can and should use them both also w/o moderator since they're usually more accurate, at least for a given price, than supersonics.

For running boar supersonics are used, mainly to cut down on leading the target too much, I guess.

For the first time I'd shoot anything you happen to have, and try to find out what others use for running boar. Then try to match the velocity but probably use something affordable but still OK quality like CCI Blazers. There's no need to go for premium ammo, and it seems manufacturers have also dropped special running boar loads (at least Lapua used to have one).

Hornet 6

Before buying mounts......
Measure across the top of the dovetail, 11mm means a standard 11mm dovetails just like most air rifles.
If on the other hand it measures 12.7mm it is supposedly a 3/8" dovetail, I say supposedly as it seems to be a CZ size.
If it is the 3/8" one be carefull buying mounts, the so called fit either size do not work as the angle the dovetail is cut at is different.
I have been using Talley 100005 rings (on the 3/8"), half an inch tall from bottom of scope tube to top of dovetail, these have been fine with many scopes
over the years, but bolt clearance is nearly always the problem, not scope touching barrel.
As a guide my rings (on a CZ American .22) give just enough clearance for a Meopta 7x50, but I still need the same height rings for the
Meopta 4x32 that is on there now.

Neil. :)

Pine Marten

For the first time I'd shoot anything you happen to have, and try to find out what others use for running boar. Then try to match the velocity but probably use something affordable but still OK quality like CCI Blazers. There's no need to go for premium ammo, and it seems manufacturers have also dropped special running boar loads (at least Lapua used to have one).

Thanks for that explanation! I believe that my club supply .22LR ammunition which they buy in bulk and so can offer it at discount to members, so I'll start with whatever they have, see how it works out. I only have open sights for now so there may be an upper limit on how accurate I can be anyway.

Pine Marten

Before buying mounts......
Measure across the top of the dovetail, 11mm means a standard 11mm dovetails just like most air rifles.
If on the other hand it measures 12.7mm it is supposedly a 3/8" dovetail, I say supposedly as it seems to be a CZ size.
If it is the 3/8" one be carefull buying mounts, the so called fit either size do not work as the angle the dovetail is cut at is different.
I have been using Talley 100005 rings (on the 3/8"), half an inch tall from bottom of scope tube to top of dovetail, these have been fine with many scopes
over the years, but bolt clearance is nearly always the problem, not scope touching barrel.
As a guide my rings (on a CZ American .22) give just enough clearance for a Meopta 7x50, but I still need the same height rings for the
Meopta 4x32 that is on there now.

Neil. :)

Thanks Neil! I think that finding the right mounts may turn out to be a bit of an @rse. I'll measure the dovetail this evening to check.

Pine Marten

I've just had a look at the shop-cz website, and the mounts for a CZ 452 are 11mm. They have rings for both 26mm and 30mm scope tubes. 26mm is actually ever so slightly more than one inch, since that would be 25.4mm. Would those rings fit a one inch tube on an American scope? This must be quite a common requirement, no?

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!