A hard stalk

Well lads, set off for Scotland at 4.00am after taking a lot of painkillers (put my back out on Fridays pheasant shoot)!, 3.5hr drive including 1hr on a single track road that was covered in ice. to get onto some forestry ground I haven't shot for a while. I managed to get onto the snow line just as the sun came up, i set off on a quad track across a cleared fell, but griff (my GWP) kept wanting to head onto the top, i finally gave in and followed him as he had his head up high and blowing a lot, (a sure sign that deer are near) the temp was -5 and there was a bitter wind so god knows what the wind chill was up there.
It took me over an hour to cross that fell, I crawled over every rise expecting to see deer but no luck, i got to within 150yds of the tree line at the end and felt like kicking the dog when he locked up on point. i crawled over the brow and there were two roe does sunning themselves right on the edge of the fell about 90yds away, i got set up really quick and chest shot the first, as i reloaded to shoot the second i i was still watching the first, and its reaction to shot looked like i had hit her too far back, (guts).
I swung back on her and shot her again as she set off towards the trees. thankfully she dropped. roe no2 made off before i could shoot again, so really p***ed off at myself for fluffing the first shot. I sent griff on and let him find the deer as a reward then had a look at the damage as i gralloched it. the first bullet had hit just behind the shoulder breaking 2 ribs and then turned left and destroyed the liver and rumen no damage to the heart and lungs. second shot high chest other side so no mix up with shots.
A total 0f 7hrs driving 4 hrs walking for just the one roe, but one of the most enjoyable days ive had this season, it felt good to be out there. pity my back doesnt think so.
roe doe today.jpg

An absolutely lovely day for it. Glad you connected with something for all your hard work. Dog looks pleased with himself! I only wish my ground was a bit nearer and I'd have gone out myself. BTW did you train the dog to point or did it just get to an age where he did it himself when deer were close? How near does he get before he goes on point? Is it when deer are visible to him or just when he can smell them close?

Would you have managed to get 2 roe off the hill with your injured back
Perhaps its just as well you shot one

Well done sounds like you have a good stalking buddy

Regards TH

Well lads, set off for Scotland at 4.00am after taking a lot of painkillers (put my back out on Fridays pheasant shoot)!, 3.5hr drive including 1hr on a single track road that was covered in ice. to get onto some forestry ground I haven't shot for a while. I managed to get onto the snow line just as the sun came up, i set off on a quad track across a cleared fell, but griff (my GWP) kept wanting to head onto the top, i finally gave in and followed him as he had his head up high and blowing a lot, (a sure sign that deer are near) the temp was -5 and there was a bitter wind so god knows what the wind chill was up there.
It took me over an hour to cross that fell, I crawled over every rise expecting to see deer but no luck, i got to within 150yds of the tree line at the end and felt like kicking the dog when he locked up on point. i crawled over the brow and there were two roe does sunning themselves right on the edge of the fell about 90yds away, i got set up really quick and chest shot the first, as i reloaded to shoot the second i i was still watching the first, and its reaction to shot looked like i had hit her too far back, (guts).
I swung back on her and shot her again as she set off towards the trees. thankfully she dropped. roe no2 made off before i could shoot again, so really p***ed off at myself for fluffing the first shot. I sent griff on and let him find the deer as a reward then had a look at the damage as i gralloched it. the first bullet had hit just behind the shoulder breaking 2 ribs and then turned left and destroyed the liver and rumen no damage to the heart and lungs. second shot high chest other side so no mix up with shots.
A total 0f 7hrs driving 4 hrs walking for just the one roe, but one of the most enjoyable days ive had this season, it felt good to be out there. pity my back doesnt think so.
View attachment 50796

Did you forget to pick me up on your way down lol good right up dog looks well pleased
Dave

View attachment 50796

Think I would have sat in the car with the engine on and a flask of coffee and chatted to the dog. Sounds a hell of a morning. Pleased you connected with the Roe and not the dog:lol:. Bet you had words with him during that walk though.

The long drive and hike sounds all too familiar! Always a relief to have something to show for such a trip. Calibre and bullet choice dare I ask?

The long drive and hike sounds all too familiar! Always a relief to have something to show for such a trip. Calibre and bullet choice dare I ask?

I took the .223 and was using 55gr sierra game kings Tackleberry, it is the lightest rifle i have and to be honest ive never had a problem with the gamekings before. I was just relieved that i hadnt pulled the shot at sub 100yds.
Woodmaster, he was trained as a bird dog first then taken on deer when he was steady. he usually indicates deer rather than a true point, (head held very high and doesnt lift a leg) he has an excellent nose and can air scent deer father than i can shoot, thats why i chose to go in the direction he was indicating rather than follow the quad track, he tends to lockup at the 100yd mark and usually holds position if i need to stalk in closer for the shot.
best stalking companion ive ever had, never complains just the odd dirty look if i dont shoot. LOL
Paul

Thanks for that Paul. I'm amazed at the distance they pickup scent. Mine is only 8 months and showing great promise on the tracking, but still needs alot more time on the ground. I will hopefully learn to read her and start finding deer alive with her. There is just so much to do and learn. This just confirms I need to do less work and more shooting.

might be an idea to walk her through a deer park (on a leash) and see how she reacts to them in the flesh woodmaster.

I have been waiting to go and do that. Another member on here has access to a park which I have been to when she was very young. I'll try and get her over there some more so she can have more exposure.

:DI just dinished loading my backpack and suitcase to fly into Scotland on Saturday....
My first trip ever, cant wait to try this hill stalking thing, also all the other lads got me concerned already:-|
But it sounds a bit like survival of the fittest...:coat:

Waidmannsheil to you and hopefully your back will be fine soon!

Nice one mate glad to see he's earning his biscuits, I've had the same problem done by back in on Boxing day stopped the stalking for a few days, had it crunched yesterday hopefully on the mend now.

Michael be afraid, very afraid :evil::evil::evil::evil:

back out on the pheasant this saturday Wayne and off to try for a red on sunday, nothing like resting up is there LOL, :lol:
Wildboar, i wish you luck on your Scotland adventure, hope you have a successful trip.:thumb:

Thanks Sinbad, I will let the audience know, a little write up for sure, if I survive....:scared:

Wildboar enjoy your first trip to the hills of Scotland please do a write up to let's us know how it went best of luck hope your get lucky
DJC

That's the way Sinbad, get some hill miles into those legs now. Not long to go now for some high country stalking.
Grant.

I like that sinbad..a bloke is crook yet still has the go in him to get out hunting..excellent and it makes a change from reading of blokes that are sooking that they cant go because of this and that! 10/10 I doffs me lid mate.

Back