A musical end to the fishing season

caorach

I've done this before earlier in the year but now the season is over I hacked together some of the video of fishing since June (I only started with the GoPro in June) and added some music. I don't know if it really qualifies as a "write up" or "article" but the good news is it saves you from watching all the videos as you get the best bits in just over 3 minutes.

geoshot

Great video, thanks again for sharing, that take at about 40 seconds was awesome! Especially so because of the flat calm, well done on that one

caorach

Great video, thanks again for sharing, that take at about 40 seconds was awesome! Especially so because of the flat calm, well done on that one
I didn't show the two previous ones that I lost, probably by striking too fast. I hadn't fished dry fly in tens of years and with the wet fly it is good to strike the trout as fast as you can so hard to break that habit. When it comes to fishing anything you see me doing well is just pure luck!

caorach

Caorach, that's the reality for most of us if truth be told
I know this sounds odd but in a strange way being bad at it is, I think, a good thing. Fishing is a hobby and a bit of fun and so there should be no pressure to be good at it, or to have a pile of gear, or even to catch something. We all get enough pressure in work and everyday life with running about and worrying about stuff and I see far too many people bringing that to fishing, or stalking. Now I fully appreciate that, especially in stalking where firearms are involved, a degree of competence and common sense are required so I'm not saying to be a halfwit or behave badly. However, in a strange way I take a certain pride at being "bad" at fishing in the sense that I look at moss, or watch eagles, or drink tea, and I have gone fishing and actually forgotten to fish.

Many people these days seem to be fishing (and stalking) for someone else - their mate caught a 20lb trout so they need to catch a 30lb one or they know a bloke who shot a silver medal roe so they need a gold one but they've only got 2 hours, and they don't want to walk far, and they've got a new £1000 jacket they don't want to get dirty, and so it goes on. Those people aren't out for themselves, they are out because of what someone else thinks of them and I don't think that is healthy in a world where most people have enough stress in their lives already.

So it is true that I'm bad at fishing - for example I tend to pull wet flies when, sometimes, other tactics might catch better but this is a choice I've made and the "dry fly" video I posted this year is probably my first time casting a dry fly in 30 years. I'm also a pretty rubbish caster and sometimes it goes badly wrong for me and I could get lessons and practise and so on but instead I just don't worry about it. On the other hand when some people ask me I assure them that I'm the best angler in the world. This does, as you'd imagine, cause a few raised eyebrows but in an abstract way it is true in the sense that I go fishing to have fun and with a bit of walking, tea making, looking at stuff, and maybe even catching a few 4 inch trout if I'm lucky, then I enjoy myself and by my personal definition that makes me the best angler in the world, I've no interest of what their definition is. Someone keen on catching fish and observing from the outside might equally define me as absolutely the worst angler in the world and they are welcome to worry about that while I don't bother worrying about it :)

geoshot

Nah, you're not bad at fishing at all mate, sounds like you've got it spot on.
I suffered from the trophy bug for years, wanted to catch bigger, more, rarer etc
I get more pleasure these days when I take somebody out for their first trip and see them catch their first fish. I'll happily hand the rod over to someone else, especially a youngster, just to let them feel what it's like to play a fish - and I wouldn't worry if it's the biggest fish of the day either.
My favourite day on the river each year now has next to feck all to do with fishing apart from being on good beats on the Itchen. It's a bunch of friends who have all worked together on & off over the years, we organise it in memory of a good bloke who passed away too young about 20yrs ago
The fishing for most of us lasts to lunchtime, lunch lasts a few hours, we reminisce and remember friends departed - watch the river flow by, the wildlife ignoring us and eventually the sunset - the best fishing days have little to do with the fishing.
You stick with your wets and your tea drinking, you're doing it right, you're not bad at fishing at all fella - sounds like you have your priorities properly sorted

BTW, some of the most exclusive PiTA "anglers" are the hardcore oversimplification crew, those who fish just with one fly, not just a single pattern either it's just one actual fly, they become so obsessed with their fishing they might as well fish in a sewer for all that they're enjoying it

Fosbery Holster

Very reassuring to know from what you have just written that you adore what you do, the pleasure is in the outdoors drinking in your surroundings soaking up the varied atmospheric events, occasionally casting a fly just to please yourself in the fact that yes l can catch.
I’m happy that you find no great need to surround yourself with the latest must haves, after all the skill is in the person not the equipment.
lf you don’t consider yourself a top fisherman l must congratulate you on a distinct attribute, ‘you’ve certainly mastered the art of tea making‘ !!
Thank you.

caorach

A wee bit driech at times :), another good video.
Glad you liked it John, sometimes dreich doesn't cover it :) The truth is that we get the weirdest weather, I've spend time on the west coast and a lot of time around Inverness in the past but Lewis weather is in another league. The most surprising thing is that it gets, relatively speaking, very little rainfall compared to the likes of Fort William as with being flat the clouds don't "break" on the island. This means that long periods of dreich weather, that west coast stuff where the clouds hang around the hills for 10 days, are actually very rare but what we do get is very fast weather so all the seasons in one day are well possible. If you look at some of my videos you could easily imagine that some were shot over several days as the weather is completely different in nearly every shot. Even more remarkable is that we often get a bright sunny day on one side of the island and a wet, miserable, day on the other side and we are talking about a distance of maybe 15 miles. I've no idea how that works.

However, the wind is completely different to anything I've experienced anywhere else in the UK. It defies description - a few years back I'd been in touch with a visitor and said I'd take him to trout and he phoned in the morning to ask about the wind; I was telling him that it was OK, we'd make do, but we could do with more only to realise that his concern was that we'd far too much and he could barely stand, he'd seen wind before as there was a bit of a squatter problem in the Falklands a while back and he nipped down there to help clear them out.