A Native American stalking tip

spandit

Read on another forum, Pigeonwatch of all places, that when trying to get close to a grazing deer, one should rip up grass as you go because the sound makes them think you're just a herbivore and thus no threat. Anyone heard that before?

I think their point was that the deer might be obscured by foliage or something, despite being close. I've also heard that you can get really close to deer if you're on horseback as they only see the horse - not so easy shooting one from there, though

I think their point was that the deer might be obscured by foliage or something, despite being close. I've also heard that you can get really close to deer if you're on horseback as they only see the horse - not so easy shooting one from there, though

My Granddad used to shoot grazing geese for food, he would walk on the lee side of his pony and cart and line a few up....

Back in those days you got 1/2 a day a week off to haul coal, get to the local village for a few supplies then back working on the Fens..

Tim.243

Well most "Native American" wisdom is complete crap - not because they were fools, but because fools know no one will listen to them if they say "this is tip taught me by my old alcoholic and incompetent uncle". What little "real" stalking wisdom exists can be found in the chronicles of Ishi, by Dr Saxton Pope.

That being said, horses do work. They use them to stalk pronghorn antelope and I have used them to get to a high seat undetected. Had a property that was good hunting but the only access was through the bedding area. Walk through like a hunter and you never saw a deer. Ride a horse in ( actually double up, wife would rake me in) and the deer never were bothered.

As above , horses work , tearing up grass is a new one . Then again , I live in densely forested areas , not a lot of grass about .

AB

I’m reminded of a joke with this thread....

The Lone Ranger and Tonto are walking through the desert, when Tonto stops and puts his ear to the ground.
“Buffalo come” says Tonto.....
“That’s incredible” the Lone Ranger replies, “how can you tell?”

“Face stuck to ground” replies Tonto......

Well most "Native American" wisdom is complete crap - not because they were fools, but because fools know no one will listen to them if they say "this is tip taught me by my old alcoholic and incompetent uncle". What little "real" stalking wisdom exists can be found in the chronicles of Ishi, by Dr Saxton Pope.

That being said, horses do work. They use them to stalk pronghorn antelope and I have used them to get to a high seat undetected. Had a property that was good hunting but the only access was through the bedding area. Walk through like a hunter and you never saw a deer. Ride a horse in ( actually double up, wife would rake me in) and the deer never were bothered.

I have to say brother , having family members who are First nations , that's a little strong . Like everyone else , including my family back in the UK , some have their issues . Where I am , their culture and traditions are still more or less intact and they still live fairly traditional lives . I've learned a lot about the land I live in , and how to live on it ,from them . Just saying .

Respectfully AB

I have to say brother , having family members who are First nations , that's a little strong . Like everyone else , including my family back in the UK , some have their issues . Where I am , their culture and traditions are still more or less intact and they still live fairly traditional lives . I've learned a lot about the land I live in , and how to live on it ,from them . Just saying .

Respectfully AB
I don't think he is saying that native Americans are wrong. Just that people (Facebook as an example) take a picture of Ghandi or some one and put some wise saying like, always use a rabbit to wipe your ass because pooh doesn't stick to their fur, then everybody goes, oh wow, Ghandi said it so it must be true.

It was the alcoholic and incompetent part I was referring too .

AB
Well if you uncle was one of those then ok. But, and I am sure to be corrected but I don't think he was calling the Native Americans that. Well that was my take on it.
Over here we say a bloke down the pub told me, or, it must be true as I read in in the sun. (Tabloid newspaper that is ok if you like sport and titties but useless if you want some news.
But that was the way I read it.. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

Well if you uncle was one of those then ok. But, and I am sure to be corrected but I don't think he was calling the Native Americans that. Well that was my take on it.
Over here we say a bloke down the pub told me, or, it must be true as I read in in the sun. (Tabloid newspaper that is ok if you like sport and titties but useless if you want some news.

I think you're absolutely correct in thinking that, titties and sport are much more interesting than the news

Mike

You're probably right , I've found Cootmuerer to be an intelligent and thoughtful man . A knee jerk ( I hope that doesn't make me a snowflake ) reaction . As I said , I have a close relationship with a lot of First Nations people , sometimes I react without thinking it through , my apologies .

AB

Apologies received from Alberta Boy, and apologies sent back. The original comment was not meant to reflect poorly on Native Americans, but the inclusion of alcoholism is a trigger that I should have known better than to use, so my clumsy wording was at fault. Same is with the word "Boy" when talking with African Americans, it has too much negative connotations and is best left out of the verbiage.

My original point - growing up in the US (and probably Canada) just about every outdoorsman (and some Democrat Presidential Candidates) claimed some Indian/Native American ancestor even at absurd percentages ("Well my grandaddy was told he was 1/1028th Cherokee, so that makes me Cherokee too"). Usually, right after the claim of heritage was some ignorant saying about supposed outdoors wisdom. I can remember several such as "a gray fox is a cross between a red fox and a coyote", and "fox squirrels are cross between gray squirrels and red squirrels", or my favorite - "to find your way, remember that moss always grows on the North side of the tree". My personal experience with the few "real/authentic" Native Americans I have known is they are no more or less wise than anyone else.

Back