A question about archery…

NomDeGuerre

When did I insinuate that, I built a longbow out of English yew, three years to dry the wood, six months to make the bow a couple of hours each evening, following the grain with a bill hook, testing the curve and poundage by removing sap wood and heartwood, that’s how primitive archers did it, also have some arrowheads and skinning knives (flint) from the trail of tears
Apologies if I misconstrued your post. The perils of internet comms. When you said we needed to “move to a country with proper hunting laws,” and then followed up with “Bear Arena 56# for hunting,” I guess I misinterpreted that as meaning a country that allows hunting with trad bows has poor hunting laws, and that a compound bow such as the Bear Arena is more appropriate.

Tim.243

Apologies if I misconstrued your post. The perils of internet comms. When you said we needed to “move to a country with proper hunting laws,” and then followed up with “Bear Arena 56# for hunting,” I guess I misinterpreted that as meaning a country that allows hunting with trad bows has poor hunting laws, and that a compound bow such as the Bear Arena is more appropriate.
We have Churches, customs, a history dating way back when the Native Americans we free to roam that continent.
Not as it has been shaped to day which is just a few pages of a history book in the USA terms.
It is no wonder that you miss understand stuff as in historical terms you are just in dippers :rolleyes:

NomDeGuerre

By “we,” when you say “We have churches, customs…” I guess you are including me, since my father’s side of my family comes from Yorkshire. My mother’s side hails from a country with a history and culture that existed some 2500 years before the Roman’s ruled what is now known as the UK. 🤣

@Tim.243 , you’re just a teddy bear at heart, aren’t you, just longing for a hug from someone?

Tim.243

By “we,” when you say “We have churches, customs…” I guess you are including me, since my father’s side of my family comes from Yorkshire. My mother’s side hails from a country with a history and culture that existed some 2500 years before the Roman’s ruled what is now known as the UK. 🤣
I see you never included the Native Americans as the Stars and Strips Old Glory We the people is just getting going..

I use the term We " I " live in England (thank god ) where yours is the USA lol

In the short term history 1914-1918 > 1939-1945 no bow or arrow used :rolleyes:

NomDeGuerre

What is your take on how little land the Native Americans have compared to the Stars and Stripe era?
My take? I think the First Nation peoples of America were shafted terribly. Agreement and treaty upon treaty broken and they were lied to and repeatedly had their right to live and hunt on various areas taken from them.

I think the government of the United States has done terrible injustices to them. But we are not alone as a nation in having shameful aspects of our history.

Tim.243

My take? I think the First Nation peoples of America were shafted terribly. Agreement and treaty upon treaty broken and they were lied to and repeatedly had their right to live and hunt on various areas taken from them.

I think the government of the United States has done terrible injustices to them. But we are not alone as a nation in having shameful aspects of our history.
Yes they were which is so tragic as the people who voted the previous US governments to office had a hand in it...

That cleared up a last bit of banter

Min 28.18 > of the video link :tiphat:

Tim.243

We are not in disagreement there.

As for the video clip, I think we all know what contributions the US gave to the war effort. Seems a bit like you might be sore you couldn’t get the job done without the help of the Yanks. 😂
I like the US contributions all but a bit late, the Fonz, also the finest cross section of US culture...

Taff

We can hunt here with a bow on government land if it is over 40lb drawweight, private land no law, but the fact is no one enforces the draw weight. Bow fishing is getting more popular as well, crossbows are popular too.
As to the native Americans, it was a shameful time in the history of the USA , treaty after treaty reneged on, but it will always be overshadowed by what was done to the coloured people.

NomDeGuerre

I like the US contributions all but a bit late, the Fonz, also the finest cross section of US culture...

Well speaking of at he Beverly Hillbillies, I have a custom made banjo by Arthur Hatfield, who is a direct descendent of THE famous Hatfield family. I don’t play it nearly as often as I should. There is no end of banjo jokes amongst musicians. 😁

Tim.243

Well speaking of at he Beverly Hillbillies, I have a custom made banjo by Arthur Hatfield, who is a direct descendent of THE famous Hatfield family. I don’t play it nearly as often as I should. There is no end of banjo jokes amongst musicians. 😁
What is your job as you can see what I do/have done in my bio

shakey jake

i dont think there is any sensible reason to most of our laws regarding hunting, scottish roe deer are weak little things compared too our bullet proof english ones, fine to shoot ducks one side of the river on a sunday but not the other, foxes no protection to speak of badgers and otters untill the badger cull couldnt be touched, need a license to remove some pest species. britain is crazy

VSS

i dont think there is any sensible reason to most of our laws regarding hunting, scottish roe deer are weak little things compared too our bullet proof english ones, fine to shoot ducks one side of the river on a sunday but not the other, foxes no protection to speak of badgers and otters untill the badger cull couldnt be touched, need a license to remove some pest species. britain is crazy
But we can shoot deer all year round, in unlimited quantities, and sell the carcasses. So it's not all bad compared to other countries.