A quick field gralloch ?

Devil_Bri

Who here does a quick field gralloch, and how do they go about doing it ?
i am interested in how to take out only the rumen, intestines and esophagus without opening up the neck.
The anus is easy to tie off on the inside, but how do you guys tie of the esophagus (without opening up the neck) on the inside without any green coming out from what remains in the carcass ?

woodmaster

Have a look at these - SQWV training videos
Three food safety films specifically to highlight potential high risk areas of contamination in the
venison food chain are now available online. –
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVZqTCDy62jfse5Prk18Lzg?view_as=subscriber
Regards
JCS

Good films, done at a nice speed too. Shows just how simple it is to do a decent job. It makes me wonder some carcasses show up in the dealer looking like they've been run over.

Heym SR20

If you don’t have any cable ties, carefully pull out the rumen, holding it tight around where the oesophagus joins it. With the other hand strip allthe grass down into the rumen, leaving an empty pipe. Holding the rumen tight, cut the pipe and pull rumen clear. Tie off the rumen. At the back end do the same with intestine, and tie off the rectum. I leave penis attached along with rectum, bladder and uterus and deal with these at the larder.

rem284

I am against using plastic when you dont need to. Tying the food tubes is as easy as tying a knot in a piece of string. Why carry and use plastic

South of the M4

how do you guys tie of the esophagus (without opening up the neck) on the inside without any green coming out from what remains in the carcass ?

I would like to see any of the above methods used reliably in practice.
Hard to expose enough pipe as it is, especially if the rumen has blown a little. I reckon 5 in 10 times you'll have green hands.

User00003

I always do a ‘field’ gralloch and leave the work for the larder. I’ve seen people carrying what resembles a mountain guide emergency kit just for gralloching,,going through 3+ pairs of latex gloves, endless cable ties etc.

as I always preach, keep life simple,,learn to stalk really close, learn to shoot in field positions with practice, and amazingly, you will find you only need a very simple light kit, no mod, no bipod, no big scopes, no 8 legged shooting sticks, etc

same goes for field gralloching, simple and small does it.
the way I was always taught was simple and takes 5-10 min for Roe, 15 or so for reds at most!. No need to hang up in a tree here,,, bleed. Open throat area 10-20cm and tie off without cables, this takes less than 1 minute and removes risk of green messing about doing it inside the carcass. Open deer from point where bucks have their ding dongs, further back and you expose haunch meat, cut up to ribs.

Pull back any pellets, cut and tie off inside carcass, leaving bladder intact too. Empty other half of pellets and tie off too.

Remove guts using your hand to separate,
and and pull through oesophagus, leaving lungs, heart, kidneys and liver still attached. Put on its stomach and lift front to empty residual blood through cavity opening

inspect and dispose of to the predators...let’s not BS here, you don’t carry a shovel and bury it several feet deep...

for Roe, you should have it in the Roe sack within 5-10 minutes at most

Willie

Hi PKL,

Agree with nearly all you say but why not use cable ties instead of tying knots. Much easier and quicker and don’t take up any room in a pocket. If you don’t like leaving plastic on the hill cut them off the rumen etc once clear of the carcass put them in a small plastic bag and take them home to dispose of properly.

Willie

User00003

Willie, just so used to tying a knot, it’s easier and quicker for me than fishing around for cable ties in my pockets with bloody hands.

rem284

Willie, just so used to tying a knot, it’s easier and quicker for me than fishing around for cable ties in my pockets with bloody hands.

Agreed. How hard is it to tie a thumb knot

South of the M4

if you have a 50:50 rate of rumen contamination I would look at how you are handling the tissues

If you had read the thread properly, you would see the OP asked how tie off the oesophagus without opening the neck.

In my opinion, it would be difficult to expose enough oesophagus from the inside of the abdominal cavity to tie-wrap it 2 times then cut in the middle.