A rubbish knife that won't sharpen...return?

Sheprador1973

Just a quickie guys.

Bought a knife online the other day and it arrived today. Did a bit of research and all sounded good. BTW its definitely budget and no Emberleaf!

Its a Boker (which Ive read excellent things about) magnum Elk hunter. Looks lovely in the pics but a not quite so in the hand. Anyway, slightly disappointed with the workmanship (machining marks on the edge to the naked eye and not sharp at all) I set about stropping it. No difference. Set about sharpening on the Edge pro with 800, 1500 and 3000 stones. Looked up the grind angle for broker online and said 15-18 degrees. 18 started putting a micro bevel on so switched quickly to 15. Long story cut short the thing won't sharpen very well at all.

So, should I don something different? Bin in (bearing in mind I can't afford premium knives and usually use Mora Companions)? Or return it (bearing in mind it has been sharpened and is not technically as it arrived)?

No biggie as only £25 odd...just interested in your hopefully more expert advice (I'm no steel expert).

ATB, Shep

Cottis

What steel is it Shep?

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but are you adept at sharpening? Happy to sharpen it for you if you wanna send it over and i will post back or if you are cool with sharpening and it is a dog, i will shut up.

Where did your get it from? Reputable retailer or other?

Sheprador1973

DNA products?! Never used them before so not sure tbh.

I’m generally ok at getting a sharp edge and would love to learn more as no expert.

Definitely altered the grind angle already (less angle) so probably won’t be accepted as a return. Mind you overall looks and price suggest it’s mass produced by machine and they might not even reopen the box.

Like I say no biggie but a bit of a shame as it’s a nice looking knife.

Sheprador1973

What steel is it Shep?

Don't want to teach you to suck eggs but are you adept at sharpening? Happy to sharpen it for you if you wanna send it over and i will post back or if you are cool with sharpening and it is a dog, i will shut up.

Where did your get it from? Reputable retailer or other?
Thought I was adept mate, not expert, but now reconsidering! Kind offer Cottis...mind if I sleep on it?

Tim.243

Opinel knife 12 is nice and thin on the back. I have a extra large Norton 1000 grade wet stone and a steel.....That's it.

No strops, paste, etc...They are no different to any cutting tool drill bits, wood chisels, lathe turning tools when they go dull you put the edge back on.

The trick is to pick a knife that will take an edge in the first place!!!

Tim.243

FISH BOY

Ive had two Boker filleting knives when I was mad on fishing. Both were excellent and super sharp. 20 years on and I still have them both.

Sorry but it doesnt sound right.

philip

I won a boker in a competition, steel was absolutely horrendous, wouldn’t hold a sharp for anytime, in the end it fell on the grinder and is no more

For a general day to day knife at work I use the Mora’s or frost, at least they take an edge and hang on to it for a while and normaly stainless

I got the feeling there are some bad copies out there, bokers used to be a half tidy blade

paultap

I've got a boker magnum, the fixed blade is about 3.5 inches long. I traded a friend a set of used but mint condition Warne mounts for it which I picked up really cheaply (only £12 luckily!) I think he got by far the better deal though. I later found out that these knives were only about £20 new. Before the trade I seemed to recall that Boker were very good quality knives... NOT NOW if my example is anything to go by. They ( mine ) has 440 steel and won't hold an edge for very long, mine had quite a few chips in the blade as it had been used a fair bit.

I don't really rate the steel at all, mine will sharpen ok using a lansky or diamond stone but I certainly wouldn't get another, a mora knife is a much better bet and cheaper too. I have other much better knives so I'm not really that bothered , if you can't return it, just put it down to experience, disappointing as it is.

Last edited: