A Shotgun on boar?

Would you use a shotgun with solids on boar?

• Total voters

Sam

just wondering if anybody would use a shotgun with solids on boar, i have been on a driven boar hunt in poland where quite a few people where using them, i am talking about driven hunting, rather than stalking by the way. i am going driven hunting ( hopefully) next year and am seriously considering my berreta urika 2 with solids rather than the 6.5x55 swed
any tips or advice more than welcome

Sam

G

Grantoliver

Hi Sam. I certainly would. Obviously the distance would have to be modest but they are used alot in Europe and would certainly knock them over.

Grant

buckup

Hi Sam,
I echo what Grant has said. Close range why not? I have seen them taken with solids and it delivers one hell of a whack. I'd be OK with it up to 35yds, but thats just my gut feeling. Has anyone here used one, and at what range do you need to move up to a rifle?
Mark

alled12

They're pretty effective, could you not go a little further with them than 35 yards. I seem to remember a fair number of years ago launching a few at a small fridge door a sheet of steel and a fence post at hundred yards. Went clean through the lot, I was surprised how accurate they were. I would think they are ideal for driven boar, bit like 458 winchester out to about 60 yards. Probably much easier to get on your ticket than 458 and cheaper as well.

8x57

Distinguished Member
I am not absolutely certain because my french isn't good, but believe that the guidance given in France regarding maximum distance is 30 or 35Mtrs. Perhaps someone with better knowledge of the hunting permit scheme and testing system there will correct me.
I have assumed that this thread refers to Europe and shotguns with solid slug and not shotguns with rifled barrels such as in the U.S. where the rifled shotguns are used as an alternative in some states to rifles, this being an entirely different matter.

Heym SR20

I would certainly use them as they are a big lump of lead travelling at a reasonable velocity. A slug has more muzzle energy than a 30-06 I believe. Brother in law uses them in France against boar with a good English side by side.

And I would use them with either my Benelli Nova or Aya Coral over and under

But before I went I would want to sight them in, particularly with the AyA to see if both barrles shot near the same point - what's the score on getting slugs in this country to practice with.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Used in my o/u slug groups are very good at 30yds but with slightly different points of aim. The top barrell shoots point of aim at this distance while the bottom barrel also gives similar tight groups but about 2" lower and to the right. This is with a conventional bead sight and no rear sight so plenty accurate enough for driven shooting.
I have experimented with different choke combinations (multi choke) but the results have always been similar.
My variation for slug was granted for target shooting as several members of my shooting club have FAC shotguns for practical type events and I wanted to give it a go using a conventional gun without spending out on another firearm.

Jagare

Slug is excellent for driven boar. Pump/self loading shotguns are very popular. Useing a rifled slug barrel and shooting the sabo slugs its not unusual to get 4" groups at 100 yards. Shooting slugs through a shot gun barrel rifled for slug takes slug shooting to a different level.
I shoot Brenneke slugs in my comdination weapon at 50mtrs they are 6" lower than the bullet and at 100mtrs a bit over 1' lower.

8x57

Distinguished Member
A rifled slug barrel on an auto or pump is not an option in the U.K.
I have heard mention on the internet of screw-in multichokes that are rifled similar to the old Paradox system, but have never seen any. These in theory would permit the use of saboted slug through a multichoke double gun.

Jagare

It would be worth a look on the internet at the rifled chokes. I know they do them for pump/semiauto shotguns. I'v read they shoot sabot slugs better than a smooth barrel but not as good as a rifled slug barrel. Would it be possible to import rifled chokes into the UK?

8x57

Distinguished Member
Shouldn't be a problem though they would need to be entered on a FAC in some form or manner, as when fitted to the double or single barreled gun it would then become a part 1 firearm.
Also it would not be possible to fit them to a pump or semi-auto as that would then make it a part 5 firearm.

8x57 said:
Also it would not be possible to fit them to a pump or semi-auto as that would then make it a part 5 firearm.
Fair point for a semi, but I don't see how that would apply to a pump, surely a pump action shotgun fitted with rifled choke tube just becomes a fixed mag manually operated rifle in .719" calibre?

Thar

owenontour said:
8x57 said:
Fair point for a semi, but I don't see how that would apply to a pump, surely a pump action shotgun fitted with rifled choke tube just becomes a fixed mag manually operated rifle in .719" calibre?
Pump op CF rifles are in the same class as semi-auto rifles. ;)

Best rgds

Thar

8x57

Distinguished Member
As Thar says, the public in the U.K. can be trusted with semi-auto and pump action rifles only in .22rf calibre.

stone

hi all
before you lads go to deep into rifled barrels of which i am following in deep ernerst as this is now out of my zone to say
does anyone hav a load for a brennexe 12gauge slug or know anyone who homeloads these?
kind regards
stone

I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying that. I think my Greener GP would make a perfect slug gun, if I get the choke opened slightly from the tight 3/4 it is now. Alternatively I might just get it threaded for choke tubes, and then get a rifled tube for it. Any ideas what that sort of work might cost?

Jagare

I have a green GP and i tried it with the cartridges i shoot roe with #1 shot. The recoil made me sit up and take notice. i think the recoil is to do with the stock shape as well. My GP is heavy choked as well so i won't try a slug through it. Back in the mists of time i had a GP with intérchangable chokes. The Gp must have been one of the first guns with them.
How quick i have forgotten how dum English gun laws can be. We can shoot Boar and fallow with slug. The weapon must be single barrel ie: pump/ semiauto. Unless you following up a wounded animal then you can use a slug in any shot gun.

reiver

HI every one just joined this forum.

I have solid slugs on my fac for shooting deer and wild boar.I shoot them through a benneli super 90 left hand 5 shot which is fited with proper open sights and i also have a B sqaure scope mount and red dot to fit it. My shotgun will group 5 shots into 3" at 50 yards all day long useing true cylinder choke and s&B 1oz slugs. It is a proven pig killer at over 45M which was the distance of a 70 kg boar that i killed with a crossing shot in Croatia 2 years ago. :p

BOB.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Jagare,

"The weapon must be single barrel ie: pump/ semiauto. Unless you following up a wounded animal then you can use a slug in any shot gun."

Why?

Jagare

I have no idea why we must use a pump/semiauto for shooting slug. Myself i don't see where the advantage is if you are shooting Brenneke type slugs. We have a few strange hunting laws
By law all traffic accidents with wild animals must be reported to the police. Not reporting can result in a hefty fine. A hunter is sent to the site of the accident to find the injured animal. With the increase in wild boar accidents, over a 1000 last year. Many hunters use a shotgun to follow up wounded roe or boar. As its close up work i think that the powers that be think any shotgun will do.
The question was asked a while back to the powers that be. Why can't we shoot roe with slug? There answer was no as #1-3 work perfect on roe. which is true.