A/T tyres for Hilux 17" alloys

Malxwal

I'm told there is an issue with fitting BFG A/Ts to the 17" alloys on a Hilux, rub on the inner arches on full lock I think ? Bound to be some of you out there with the 17" alloys, what have you gone for in wheels/tyres to replace the woeful standard issue Bridgestone Duellers ?

had same issue on an new invincible I bought last year

I didn't go the just let it rub option which I know some stalkers do - ok if you're never over 30 mph in remote Scottish roads and offroad, but I use mine as a main vehicle as well and didn't want to infringe the warranty which this will undoubtedly do - having checked! So I ended up using General Grabber ATs They have been fine for me and I do use it in sticky fields and not quite axle deep mud. I have been stuck only once which was having got thru cr4p a freelander behind me got stuck and I went back to pull him out Got part way then bogged down With hindsight a reckon if I had two blokes sat on the tail gate to overcome the slightly light back end that wouldn't have happened either

Once its out of warranty I plan to:

lift 2", put on wheel spacers to get BFGs on and do a rechip to improve mpg and power upgrade

D

Done this on my 2007 HL2 yes they do rub when on full lock, turning left seems worse for some reason & when reversing it sounds like they are trying to rip the front off the pickup, but after 10,000 miles the tread has worn down a bit & the mud flaps worn through as well as the inner part of the front wheel arch. Oh & it's an MOT failure Doh! As I found out but better than getting stuck all the time, does get a few funny looks when turning as everything is crunching away
Wingy

Done this on my 2007 HL2 yes they do rub when on full lock, turning left seems worse for some reason & when reversing it sounds like they are trying to rip the front off the pickup, but after 10,000 miles the tread has worn down a bit & the mud flaps worn through as well as the inner part of the front wheel arch. Oh & it's an MOT failure Doh! As I found out but better than getting stuck all the time, does get a few funny looks when turning as everything is crunching away
Wingy

I thought the HL2 had 16" steel wheels, and so wouldn't have had the same issues as the Invincible 17"alloys ? My mate had 16" alloys fitted to his specifically so he could fit BFG A/Ts.

I thought the HL2 had 16" steel wheels, and so wouldn't have had the same issues as the Invincible 17"alloys ? My mate had 16" alloys fitted to his specifically so he could fit BFG A/Ts.

The HL2 comes with believe it or not 15" steel rims, or at least mine did it also had the extended arches as the invincible does which I haven't seen on many HL2's, don't know if this is how the King cab comes or if it was because it was a Toyota demo vehicle, I bought with 600 miles on the clock, but I put 17" Dick Ceepek Alloys on with 265 70 x 17's
Could have got away with 265 65 x 17 as fitted on the Navara though
Wingy

Last edited:
I have just put General Grabber at2's on mine, no problems after 1000 miles, 61 plate Invincible 17" wheels. No rubbing so far, traction off road transformed, road noise not bad, fuel consumption appears slightly higher.

Got them from a German company, Tyreleader.

Do get a power chip as well, that transforms.the vehicles performance, fuel, towing and speed. I got mine from Lindop Toyota.

I've used a set of 16" alloys on my 2012 invincible no problems at all

Aye, the problem is with the 17" alloys.
I have just put General Grabber at2's on mine, no problems after 1000 miles, 61 plate Invincible 17" wheels. No rubbing so far, traction off road transformed, road noise not bad, fuel consumption appears slightly higher.

I used GG AT2s on my other motor, very hard wearing, the newer ATs not so much. AT2s aren't in production anymore unfortunately, so when I had two brand new AT2s ruined by glass, I couldn't get spares in the size I needed, hence two ATs on the front. At the price on that site it might be worth a punt if they can supply five. I always thought they were really just copies of the BFG A/Ts, so surprised they aren't rubbing, must just be a wee bit smaller in rolling diameter ?

Maxwell. The BFGs are actually bigger. They don't manufacture the correct size specced for the car so people go a size up 70 rather than 65

GG AT do manufacture a 65

d

I used GG AT2s on my other motor, very hard wearing, the newer ATs not so much. AT2s aren't in production anymore unfortunately, so when I had two brand new AT2s ruined by glass, I couldn't get spares in the size I needed, hence two ATs on the front. At the price on that site it might be worth a punt if they can supply five. I always thought they were really just copies of the BFG A/Ts, so surprised they aren't rubbing, must just be a wee bit smaller in rolling diameter ?

Cost me £506 for four, ordered them 15th December delivered and fitted by 21st at a local tyre fitter, (@ £11.50 a wheel) whole deal worked really well.
Tested out on all of the M6 both ways, heavily rutted Scottish forestry track and farmland over New Year, not one noticeable contact between tyre and vehicle yet!

This is my second set of AT2's, great tyres for the money. YMMV as they say in the USA.

Gap looks a bit tight at the back of the front wheel.

20150108_171058.jpg

I went through this dilemma a few months ago and ended up with Cooper AT3's on as they were the right size for the 17" rim on a Toyota Invincible.

for what its worth I've used BFG AT tyres almost exclusively on several 4x4's, including pick-ups. I do around 20,000 miles per year. I would get anywhere upwards of 55,000 miles on the BFG's. Hence originally I tried to get them. However, I'm lucky to have two friends in the tyre industry, including one who supplies tens of thousands of tyres to other companies. His recommendation was the Coopers. As was the recommendation from a few keepers I know who use them.

cooper themselves guarantee 50,000 miles out them. I've had them on now about 3 months and they still look brand new. They perform at least as well if not better than the BFG's in almost every respect in my opinion. They grip far better in the wet, which I always felt the BFG's were poor at. They are better on steep wet grass. And so far they have not let me down in mud. They are without doubt quieter on the road too and handle being thrown into corners well. Not tried them in snow yet which admittedly I always thought the BFG's were good in...

Bottom line is even if BFG's were available in the future in the correct size, I will still opt now for the Coopers, which are also considerably cheaper....

Maxwell. The BFGs are actually bigger. They don't manufacture the correct size specced for the car so people go a size up 70 rather than 65

GG AT do manufacture a 65

d

BFG A/T's available in 265/65/R17 112S, original spec Bridgestone Dueller 265/65/R17 112S, so is this size a recent addition by BFG ?

Bottom line is even if BFG's were available in the future in the correct size, I will still opt now for the Coopers, which are also considerably cheaper....

That is a fair endorsement, worth a looky then.

One thing you have to be careful with GG at2 is the side wall is very stiff, they have a slight gap between the 'kerb protector on the side wall and the wheel rim/bead area. Mud gets in this gap and acts like a file on your alloy rims. The edge of the rims become thin and like a knife edge. Weakens the wheel.

ATB
Jon

Hi I'd like to resurrect this post, and find out what people think 12 months on. I'm getting a 3ltr hilux on 17" rims, and really want mud tyres, but catching/rubbing/size availability seems to be the problem, so may have to resort to AT tyres. Any recommendations/help. Thanks!
Kev.

BFG AT's are available in the correct size for 17" Hilux rims. I've had mine on for about 16k miles, can't fault them.

Putting mud-terrains on any pickup just means you get stuck further from the hard road than before?

Back