A very generous offer

After being let down last minute for a bank holiday PM stalk, I reached out on the forum to see if anyone had any contacts localish that could squeeze me in for a paid stalk.
Within 20 mins I had a PM from @bazil with a warm welcome offering me the opportunity to come down for a stalk with him after some Roebuck or Muntjac Bucks free of charge. we finalised the details and met for the first time at 17:30 the day of the stalk. Got to know eachother and met his wife and dog, then off we went.

The foliage had shot up over the last few weeks and for the most part was up to our waists and other parts up to our shoulders, which made for some challenging stalking, never the less we cracked on. Baz talked me through his approach to things and what to look out for, then we set up to see if we could call in any Muntjac or some of the younger Roebucks that may be immature enough to respond outside of the rut.

A few squeaks and soon enough a lovely little Muntjac Doe walked out the bushes, looked at us and started feeding, we watched on to see if a buck would be in toe, unfortunately none were seen.

there were no shortage of avian wildlife but the deer just didn't want to play ball, but want a great evening spent in great company.

Will definitely need to get a date in for the future!!

Thanks again @bazil really appreciate you taking the time with me especially as that's our first interaction

Attachments

• IMG-20210531-WA0072.jpg
    IMG-20210531-WA0072.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 1,207
Very kind offer, for the effort you put in you definitely deserve it also. I keep reading too many stories of you coming up empty. When you finally get one I’m fully expecting a celebration of a SD venison bbq and a lot of drinking...

Very kind offer, for the effort you put in you definitely deserve it also. I keep reading too many stories of you coming up empty. When you finally get one I’m fully expecting a celebration of a SD venison bbq and a lot of drinking...
I know mate!I've been planning what recipes I want to do for ages now!

Definitely going to butcher the next one I get myself, been watching the Scott Rea video over and over the last few weeks

It's not all about pulling the trigger.

As you are finding out! :)

Completely agree, in a way im happy that this is happening so soon in my stalking journey so it helps keep me grounded and with the understanding that its not a sure thing and no stalk in guaranteed

Completely agree, in a way im happy that this is happening so soon in my stalking journey so it helps keep me grounded and with the understanding that its not a sure thing and no stalk in guaranteed
I blanked on my last trip out. While looking for up to 4 pointer roebucks, I saw:

1. a doe and a follower
2. a lone doe
3. a 6-pointer and a doe in a wood 30 yards away. Left him.
4. a 6 pointer and a doe in a field. Left him.
5. A lone 6 pointer. Left him.
6. A lone but mobile 4 pointer 290 yards away across a field at the closest point. Left him.
7. A munty buck crossing a track at the speed of sound 20 yards ahead. Left him. (Actually, the rifle never made it off the shoulder).
8. A lone 6 pointer crossing a field. Left him.
9. A lone 4 pointer browsing along a hedgeline 80 yards away. Not a safe enough backstop. Left him.

So a dozen animals seen, rifle up a couple of times, no shot taken but an excellent evening out.

I blanked on my last trip out. While looking for up to 4 pointer roebucks, I saw:

1. a doe and a follower
2. a lone doe
3. a 6-pointer and a doe in a wood 30 yards away. Left him.
4. a 6 pointer and a doe in a field. Left him.
5. A lone 6 pointer. Left him.
6. A lone but mobile 4 pointer 290 yards away across a field at the closest point. Left him.
7. A munty buck crossing a track at the speed of sound 20 yards ahead. Left him. (Actually, the rifle never made it off the shoulder).
8. A lone 6 pointer crossing a field. Left him.
9. A lone 4 pointer browsing along a hedgeline 80 yards away. Not a safe enough backstop. Left him.

So a dozen animals seen, rifle up a couple of times, no shot taken but an excellent evening out.
Blimey! Probably makes it worse the amount you saw!

Back