A very rewarding buck!

We saw him about 700 m away. Stalked across the valley. Up behind a hedge, I climbed up the Cornish hedge sat on top, watched it, the farmers dogs started barking, sort of stopped it walking down the slope towards us. It was on a brow. No safe backstop.
It must have sort of herd us or changed its mind, started walking left and away from us. I climbed back off the hedge and we moved sort of left and away from it sort of along a nother hedgeline. In the same direction it was heading. I found another bit of hedge to climb over. I climbed up, rested on what I thought was a stump.... crack dry stick. He looked hard, luckily wind blowing towards us. I got down off the hedge on his side as quietly as I could. Light fading quickly.I Thought to myself well if I don't get closer, I won't get a shot it will be dark, I crouched down, moved every time his head went down to feed, basically tried to cut it off Getting to the woods, got to within 70m, he must have seen me or the blob of me crouching or just got suspicious. Got my sticks ready, got the rifle on them, the plan being to stand smoothly and take a shot if it presented one. He then walked at me, trying to suss me out I think. I just froze. Eventually it was almost to late. I Thought let me stand smoothly and take a shot, he moved left as I stood, sort of saw me. So I barked, he stopped bang. Dropped on the spot, shot a bit high but clipped his lungs and aorta and little of his spine. I was shaking like a leaf. Just incredible. Our carefully laid plan paid off!
A supervised Grallock and a short drag back to the truck. Very happy man! Christened my new knife too!!
I think it was my 9th or 10th attempt. I feel very grateful to have two really good mentors who have helped me learn and make mistakes. Thank you both!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_205606.jpg
    IMG_20210828_205606.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 2,281

TheCornishman

We saw him about 700 m away. Stalked across the valley. Up behind a hedge, I climbed up the Cornish hedge sat on top, watched it, the farmers dogs started barking, sort of stopped it walking down the slope towards us. It was on a brow. No safe backstop.
It must have sort of herd us or changed its mind, started walking left and away from us. I climbed back off the hedge and we moved sort of left and away from it sort of along a nother hedgeline. In the same direction it was heading. I found another bit of hedge to climb over. I climbed up, rested on what I thought was a stump.... crack dry stick. He looked hard, luckily wind blowing towards us. I got down off the hedge on his side as quietly as I could. Light fading quickly.I Thought to myself well if I don't get closer, I won't get a shot it will be dark, I crouched down, moved every time his head went down to feed, basically tried to cut it off Getting to the woods, got to within 70m, he must have seen me or the blob of me crouching or just got suspicious. Got my sticks ready, got the rifle on them, the plan being to stand smoothly and take a shot if it presented one. He then walked at me, trying to suss me out I think. I just froze. Eventually it was almost to late. I Thought let me stand smoothly and take a shot, he moved left as I stood, sort of saw me. So I barked, he stopped bang. Dropped on the spot, shot a bit high but clipped his lungs and aorta and little of his spine. I was shaking like a leaf. Just incredible. Our carefully laid plan paid off!
A supervised Grallock and a short drag back to the truck. Very happy man! Christened my new knife too!!
I think it was my 9th or 10th attempt. I feel very grateful to have two really good mentors who have helped me learn and make mistakes. Thank you both!!!
Well done chief 😉👍
Must sort that range day….