About to buy my first centrefire - any advice welcome

Snelly

Hi,

I am looking at a rifle on Tuesday with a view to possibly purchasing it. It is a .243 Remington 700 SPS action (originally bought in April of this year) but it has been dropped in to a McMillan stock and had the standard trigger replaced with a CG trigger. It is screwcut and also comes with Leupold quick release rings. It also comes with a Meopta scope (Artemis 2000 3-12 x 50). It seems like a bargain to me at £895 for the complete outfit.

I suppose my questions are: Is it the bargain it seems? What should I look out for when I inspect it? What further questions should I be asking?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Snelly.

The way I would look at this is,

700sps second hand: £375 based on a 550 new price but there is cheaper.
Scope: £275 second hand
Stock:£250 second hand

Yes it would be a reasonable price, but only if it suits your needs.

If it is possible, try some rounds through it. Check the externals as much as possible. If it has been mistreated, then you can assume that the barrel has not been looked after either. Have a look up the barrl and make sure there are no scratches from vigorous cleaning or mistreatment.

It sounds like a reasonable rifle.

Good luck

J

Thanks for that. The trigger is also about £200 too.

And given that it was only bought initially in April 08, I would be surprised if it is in bad condition. Many thanks for your reply though. Much appreciated.

I think you have made up your mind!!

If buying from a shop it might be worth sale or return subjuct to it shooting reasonable groups. Like wise if you are getting it from a private seller have a go before you buy it

Dave

Snelly i would look at it different angle and that would be is there better at that price and you will get a new tikka T3 for 600 and top it with a second had smit or equal scope for 299 easy now while it will not have a new trigger it doesn't need one the t3 trigger is a real nice crisp trigger and the kit would be yours from new .
just a though you can add a stock at any time. ;)

Thanks Dave. It is from a shop and I have said that I would like to be able to bring it back if the groups are all over the place and they have agreed.

remmy triggers

I have a model 7. it has a lovely trigger. I think, but i am not sure the modern remmy triggers arer pretty good. however yours has been changed. The remmy rifles are a great deal and a lot of rifle for your money..... but like dave says there are others, cz, tikka, howa wetherby. all good. go out and enjoy it

steve

Sounds like a good deal to me.

As it is from a shop ask if you can look at it through a bore scope.

The bonus of it being a Remmy is all the stuff that is available for the aftermarket.

You might also like to ask why the previous owner is getting rid of it after only 5 months and so much upgrading work? Who knows, you might even get an honest answer!

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/

Have a look here mate there is a good few guns round the 600-700 mark that would leave plenty for a really good second hand scope .It will also give you a good idea of what prices everything is .That way if your set on the REM you can at least try and shift the price more in your favour.
Once you have bought the rifle it is with you a long long time so make sure it is the correct choice for you.

dont be taken in by what the other bloke put on the rifle, if its your first rifle then buy a standard one, get to know it,love it,care for it then as time progresses you can add bits to it as YOU see fit, not somebody else,
its like a pimped up vauxhall astra, the owner thinks its cool but knowone else does.
And he usually sells it onto some lad with money burning a hole in his pocket wanting that 1st car.

1shot1kill said:
dont be taken in by what the other bloke put on the rifle, if its your first rifle then buy a standard one, get to know it,love it,care for it then as time progresses you can add bits to it as YOU see fit, not somebody else,
its like a pimped up vauxhall astra, the owner thinks its cool but knowone else does.
And he usually sells it onto some lad with money burning a hole in his pocket wanting that 1st car.

No thanks, I have shot a few standard Remmys and I wouldn't want the standard trigger under any circumstance. I disagree with your Vauxhall analogy completely. A McMillan stock and CG trigger are universally recognised as improvements over the out of the box rifle so I cannot see where you are coming from.

Given that I was always planning to buy a Remington action but then change the stock and trigger, this opportunity seems like a good one. The reason I asked the question was not to solicit opinions on whether the rifle is the right choice but rather to get assistance as to the questions I should be asking when n the shop next week as I weigh up the decision to make the purchase or not.

Regards,

Snelly.

Now don't be barking at people when they are only trying to help. You never actually gave all this information about having already decided on a Remington but changing the stock and trigger etc.

Now you have found what seems to be the gun of your dreams, and at a reasonable price, you are there. You need to look at the gun, and do what has already been suggested, "why is he selling it after five months" is a good place to start. Is he your regular RFD, I know with mine he would keep me well clear of things that were not up to scratch. If he is willing to let you take it back if it does not shoot well, he won't mind you having a few shots before you part with the cash. It is basically down to you, you have fired a few Remington's so you know what they should do and have something to compare it to.

Suggestions have been made about the bore, and general condition etc, the stock and trigger questions have been addressed, therefore if it looks like a duck and it walks like a duck, it is the gun for you :D

So, all the best with it and I am sure you will come to the right decision.

John

Sorry sNelly i certainly was not aware this decision was already made or i would not have suggested any other rifle . I wish you well and questions i would ask is there movement in that price it seem very expensive for a second had remmy. Also what price would be charged with out the scope on top.

why did i bother :confused:
used to be the case where if you were new to something you started at the bottom and worked your way up!!!
l would want the head space checked aswell, could be it was a home loader who put some really hot loads through it and want rid before it blow up on him!!! Hence why its only a few months old and for sale already.
That standard new rifle sounds better now :D :D :D ;)

1shot1kill said:
why did i bother :confused:
used to be the case where if you were new to something you started at the bottom and worked your way up!!!
l would want the head space checked aswell, could be it was a home loader who put some really hot loads through it and want rid before it blow up on him!!! Hence why its only a few months old and for sale already.
That standard new rifle sounds better now :D :D :D ;)

Thanks to you both. I think I will abandon this plan now and go back to the drawing board. I feel like a real idiot and have completely got ahead of myself on this. What was I thinking?! Ah well, the impetuousness of someone who is as green as fresh grass I suppose. :cry:

sNelly.

Rifle

Not many rifles that age will have anything wrong with them. The price of all the parts is significantly more than the price you will be paying. If I were you I would go for it and in the off chance the barrel is shot out after a few months (unlikely) Put a border barrel on it then you realy will have the dogs ballocks Tac Driver.

Dave

Your doing it right, no need to feel like an idiot. You are asking questions which is good, if you don't know ask, how else are you going to learn? People are just answering the best they can, trying to steer you in the right direction to get what is best for you. Just don't get all caught up in the small print of stocks and triggers etc, there is time for that.

Several people have pointed out to you that for the money you are willing to spend you could get a new one of the many excellent rifles on the market today. Nowadays there is not really much in the way of a bad gun available, it is just a matter of personal choice. So I would suggest that you have a look at the new rifles in your price range and get a second hand scope from a reputable source.

The thing is do not ever feel that you are being an idiot for asking questions, just keep asking until you feel you have asked the right ones and got the information you need. You know it makes sense :D :D

John

Dave while you are right a new stock will cost a few quid and so will a custom trigger but that to me is a personal choice like custom alloys on a car or leopard skin seat covers but it will not make much difference to the resale value look on gun trader there are rifles there at half the price with new triggers etc. for that money he can get a second hand sako 75 now if you like remmy's that's fine but i know were my cash would go.

Snelly,

dont panic on 1shot1kills scare tactics of overloaded over-pressured rifle.

It is possible that the shop owner knows the previous owner and there is a viable reason as to why he is getting rid of it. It could be the old credit crunch! I am seeing lots of very expensive rifles up for sale at the moment, and all I can think of, os people requiring cash.

Now that aside, look at the facts.

You wanted a remmy - there is one on offer.
You get standard - you will want to change things from day one.
You are offered an upgrade on trigger and stock, with a good make of scope on top.

If I was you and I had my questions answered and the rifle felt like a good fit and you could return it if not satisfied with grouping, then I would snap off his arm for it!!!

Remmy 700sps from ayrshire new £465
Artemis scope sportsmanguncentre £430
Mounts £???
stock £300 as a guess
Trigger £200
£1400 worth of rifle setup.

Go and buy basic, £465
Get a scope and mounts £400
You will not be happy with the trigger, that will be expensive.
The stock may or may not be ok.

If you have been lucky enough to trip onto a bargain, then grab it and dont be put of by others that may be a touch green at the thought of a beginner tripping onto a good deal.

J

Back