Acceptable trigger pull

Night Vision Store

perdix

I was just wondering what you chaps consider to be an acceptable trigger pull weight is?
I had my 10/22 dropped by Roger at Rimfire Magic to around the 1 1/2lbs mark but I would be interested to see what folks are running their CF rifles at ;)

The tramp

I was just wondering what you chaps consider to be an acceptable trigger pull weight is?
I had my 10/22 dropped by Roger at Rimfire Magic to around the 1 1/2lbs mark but I would be interested to see what folks are running their CF rifles at ;)
My stalking rifles, the sako's and tikka's are all set at 1.5lbs, my target rifle 7oz, and I just checked the .444, 4.1lb

regards
​Pete

perdix

Cheers Pete.
I had a "play" with one of those Baikal break barrel rifles recently and that was set at 4lb 10 which I found a little heavy but thought it may have just been me being a fussy beggar!

TankGunner

Personally I believe that elimination of creep and over travel are equally if not more import than weight. 1.5 -2lbs is perfect for a hunting rifle.

I can't abide 2 stage triggers.

private fraser

Personally I believe that elimination of creep and over travel are equally if not more import than weight. 1.5 -2lbs is perfect for a hunting rifle.

I can't abide 2 stage triggers.

I can't help wondering what the trigger pull is like on a tank main gun :).

​fraser

bobjs

I can't help wondering what the trigger pull is like on a tank main gun :).

​fraser

way less than 1lb, its fired electrically and to be honest its like the trigger on those old gaming joystick things we had with early computer/tv game consoles.(like the ones we stuck to the table top with suckers)

the recoils a bit of a bugger tends to hurt a bit if you get it wrong.

bob.

private fraser

Sounds like it would be easy to develop a flinch but given the weight of the weapon not a hindrance to accuracy :).

How are you getting on Bob?

ATB

​fraser

.243Ady

Mines set at 2.5 lbs wouldn't like it any lower on a hunting rifle. Think a consistent pull weight is important, my old x pro trigger used to be anywhere between 3lbs - 5lbs, I sometimes thought I'd left the safety on :confused:

Last edited:

Johno100

My .308 has double set triggers , No1 is around 2lb and No2 is , well you only have to think "fire"!

kennyc

stalking rifle around 3lb, K31 around 31/2lb with a lovely 2 stage pull, Steyr AUG somewhere between 8-10lb and a not so lovely 8+ stage pull :D

bobjs

Sounds like it would be easy to develop a flinch but given the weight of the weapon not a hindrance to accuracy :).

How are you getting on Bob?

ATB

​fraser

Hi bud

nearly lose my youngest wee girl last sunday, frightened the shoot out of me mate, diagnosed with lupus on tursday night and then suffered kidney failure due to the lupus, then sepsis set had a sezure and had to be placed into a induced coma as her wee body could not stand the pressure, then an mri scan to check for a brain hemerage (all clear) she went into PICU in southampton hospital,as for now josie is getting better every day now out of icu but is still really poorly all we can do is keep going.

regards

bob.

perdix

Hi bud

nearly lose my youngest wee girl last sunday, frightened the shoot out of me mate, diagnosed with lupus on tursday night and then suffered kidney failure due to the lupus, then sepsis set had a sezure and had to be placed into a induced coma as her wee body could not stand the pressure, then an mri scan to check for a brain hemerage (all clear) she went into PICU in southampton hospital,as for now josie is getting better every day now out of icu but is still really poorly all we can do is keep going.

regards

bob.

That is terrible Bob!I hope she is on the mend now(well as much as she can be with Lupus).I knew a woman on the estate I worked on that was diagnosed with it.Good days and bad days is the best way I suppose I could describe it.

​Thanks for the replies to the trigger pulls.It has give me a few things to mull over

Jager SA

​I guess an acceptable trigger pull is a safe one...simples.

bobjs

That is terrible Bob!I hope she is on the mend now(well as much as she can be with Lupus).I knew a woman on the estate I worked on that was diagnosed with it.Good days and bad days is the best way I suppose I could describe it.

​Thanks for the replies to the trigger pulls.It has give me a few things to mull over

Thank you Perdix.

as you say its a bad thing to have when its at its worst, we just hope we can get her home soon. a life changing disease and it will change our lives too,

kind regards and thank you for your thoughts,

best of luck on the trigger pull, i can't help as i have a very light trigger on my 20 tac and the 243 has not been used for some time and i have no idea what it is set at now,

bob.

Ranger22

My 243 is set at 1lb and my 270 is set at 2 1/4lb, would like the 270 lower but we're not allowed lower than 2lb :cry:

Al

bogtrotter

What you are comfortable with I suppose, about 3 lbs is right for me, mine doubles as an estate rifle and a few clients have said they find it a tad heavy.

Brithunter

it seems that modern man has become whimpish and not even able to manage a trigger pull unless it releases at sparrows fart pressure :rolleyes:.

Although I own a couple of rifles with sett triggers most of the rest have normal sporting single stage triggers but I do own several that had tow stage triggers. n fact the early BSA's like the Hunter/Regent had a trigger mechanism that could be adjusted to make it a two stage trigger.

IMHO a clean break is far more important that feather weight pressure. Knowing that the the trigger will release the sear with no creep or drag is THE most important thing. It's surprising that with a clean break often described like a glass rod breaking that the actual trigger pressure is hard to judge by feel and even a 5lb realese pressure will feel lighter.

I wonder how any are wandering around with potentially dangerous rifles due to excessively light adjustments to their trigger unit?

ejg

Kevin you have a point. I am terrified of too light triggers on hunting rifles and messed up a few shots with a set trigger.
I prefer around 2lbs for my hunting rifles. 2.5-3lb on the driven game rifle which is a tuned original two stage Mauser 1909 trigger.
edi

PSE Composites Limited