Accessories for Parker Hale L81A2 Cadet Target Rifle?

markj1

Hi All,

I have a Parker Hale L81A2 Cadet Target Rifle (7.62 NATO) with the Parker Hale 5C Aperture Target Sight.

I am thinking of giving it a revamp by fitting some of all of the following:

Scope - not sure what I would need to mount it - presumably scope rings?
Bipod - I believe I can fit one on the front slink swivel, but ideally I would prefer it closer to the muzzle.
Lightweight plastic stock? The thing has a massive barrel and weighs a tone... and I do appreciate that the L81A2 is no sporting rifle, instead it's a further development of 1200TX and M82 Sniper rifles, so it will never be lightweight as such.

Any thoughts? Or otherwise point me in the right direction?

I was thinking of going to see Fultons of Bisley, who very helpful with the sights in the past, but to be honest I don't think they have any accessories for this rifle.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

tozzybum

Norman Clarke of Rugby bought the stock of spares when P/H shut down if anyone has the knowledge of the know it should be them <P/H safari in .243 myself >atb

Dalua

Have you ever tried target-rifle shooting? Might be worth a go before doing anything drastic.

I was more than a little surprised wtih how readily I took to it after I bought a Parker Hale T4 - and your rifle is easily a notch or two above that level.

Target Rifle - the prone target discipline for which you have actually have to hold the rifle. What's not to like?
:)

paul o'

+1 think Norman cleared out there stock and a nice few m16 .223 straight pull concept rifles :norty: wonder if he still has the only working PH of that type left
Norman Clarke of Rugby bought the stock of spares when P/H shut down if anyone has the knowledge of the know it should be them <P/H safari in .243 myself >atb

yup it was them see: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi4r7f5jancAhVZfn0KHbVKAZQQFgg_MAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parker-hale.co.uk%2Findex.php%3Fpg%3DHistory%26&usg=AOvVaw2I5DOIzjOlnBkGElJMfE9n

Last edited:

markj1

Have you ever tried target-rifle shooting? Might be worth a go before doing anything drastic.

I was more than a little surprised wtih how readily I took to it after I bought a Parker Hale T4 - and your rifle is easily a notch or two above that level.

Target Rifle - the prone target discipline for which you have actually have to hold the rifle. What's not to like?
:)

Thanks.

I have been shooting it 'like a man' for the past 20 years:

600 yard and 900 yard, no bipod (lying down, with a sling though - it's far too heavy to shoot standing-up), no scope :)

However I am trying to get my daughter involved (she's only been shooting the .22 so far), so I need to make some concessions... a scope and a bipod would be a must for her at this range.

The plastic stock is a maybe... reducing the overall weight of the rifle might make it easier for her to handle (get in position etc), but it could also increase the recoil, so we'll see.... assuming plastic stock is even available for it, that is.

markj1

The update is that Norman Clarke were very helpful, and they can fit scope mounts and a swivel pin for bipod, though no lighter stock is available for my rifle.

The slight caveat is that they rifle will need to be modified so I will need to bring the rifle to them - the rifle is currently stored in Bisley, so it's a bit of a logistical challenge getting it to Rugby and back, but not insurmountable as such.

However.... they also told me that my rifle is definitely NOT the L81A2 Cadet Target Rifle, which was never sold to the civilian market... instead it's a bog-standard TX1200 :(

I bought it privately nearly 20 years ago from someone I knew and who since sadly passed away, so I have no way for tracing the rifle's history.