Wanted: Action

Rusty Gate

Not sure how hard it is to get hold of an action at all, but would like to build something of my own. What have you got & how much. Cheer's for any help at all.

pendle

The sako finnbear 270 that is on here that Tom is selling is around the price of a quality action . I paid £350 for a t3 243 to rebarrel to a .308

User00003

Rusty

build in your garage or have a smith do it?

first, if a smith, ask what he knows to work on, if he cuts his own threads or uses pre-threaded barrels. If it’s a donat home job, you will probably want an action Lothar Walther can do a pretty-thread for unless you are a good machinist with tools to boot.

also consider length of receiver for cartridge.
is it for targets or hunting
push feed vs crf
stock!!! What stock will you buy, wood, plastic,,,can you get that stock in the receiver footprint of your choice?
trigger, what do you need if there isn’t one, can you buy a good match?
mounts - what scope do you want in what type of mounts, is xyz receiver a good choice for such..ex, don’t put Eaw pivot mounts on a square bridge Brno! If you need QD, is it for emergencies where levers and this receiver dovetails are fine, or is it for reliable return to zero??ie eaw or claws..

will the cartridge of choice fit the mag length, fees ramp!! And bolt face as well as extractor claw/system..?

do answer these questions and we can help you on your way to what should be a fun and gratifying project,
not something you wished to god you never started

ashray

cz 527 mini action 223rem,barrel pitted nice grey varmint laminate stock.£300 make a good project.

It really does pay to get as good an action as you can and one that is 'conventional'

Hard to beat a remington m700. Great aftermarket parts and many smiths work on them. Added benefit of a long magazine length for a short action.

For that matter their barrels are SO accurate you don't really need to rebarrel.

Klenchblaize

It really does pay to get as good an action as you can and one that is 'conventional'

Hard to beat a remington m700. Great aftermarket parts and many smiths work on them. Added benefit of a long magazine length for a short action.

For that matter their barrels are SO accurate you don't really need to rebarrel.

It's certainly the action of choice for Gun Plumbers!

Touch paper lit and now making the :popcorn:

K

I've never been offended by others not sharing my point of view!

Depends what one wants really. I really like the freedom of being able to bolt something together with minimal assistance. Macmillan, jewell, tallies, decent bottom metal and hey presto.

Klenchblaize

I've never been offended by others not sharing my point of view!

Depends what one wants really. I really like the freedom of being able to bolt something together with minimal assistance. Macmillan, jewell, tallies, decent bottom metal and hey presto.

Can't argue with the selection of high-quality bolt-on accessories available for the 700 even if it were only the Jewel triggers and bottom metalwork these guys offer:
http://www.sunnyhillgunparts.com/700rem.html

That we have both mentioned the ease of assembling a shootable smoke pole from the 700 is what informed my Gun Plumber comment. Ask these "Assemblers" to do much more than bolt the Meccano together and they're lost!

K

Last edited: