Adding shims to a shotgun for fit

JMikeyH

I'm thinking of refining the fit on my rough hide gun a little bit, one problem I have with it is my mount - to have my eye looking down the barrel comfortably only the bottom half of the recoil pad is in my shoulder. Is this as simple as adding shims to the upper half of where the butt stock meets receiver to angle the buttstock further down, meaning the full recoil pad is in contact with the shoulder?

Cheers

I'm thinking of refining the fit on my rough hide gun a little bit, one problem I have with it is my mount - to have my eye looking down the barrel comfortably only the bottom half of the recoil pad is in my shoulder. Is this as simple as adding shims to the upper half of where the butt stock meets receiver to angle the buttstock further down, meaning the full recoil pad is in contact with the shoulder?

Cheers

Shims only move it so much on an angle, my browning's have been puled over but that is for a wooden stock.
Gun fit has to be constant as gun mount.
Tim.243

Simple answer is no. There a number of factors that combine to produce the correct gun fit, length of pull, cast, comb height, drop at heel, etc. If you are lucky you may find that increasing the length of pull (distance between the trigger & butt face) using either a simple slip on extension or by adding spacers will improve things quite a bit. After that it's usually a matter of adjusting comb height using something as this COMB RAISING KIT 2.0 - No Loops Model in Black. Hope this helps.

I know your query is about stock length and fit, but just for interest, my shooting partner and I were pigeon shooting from hides a year ago, and found we were hitting the incomers down the left hand side. Clearly a matter of cast/miss-mount. This was with our auto's. The cause was not with the gun, but on the way we were sitting in the hides. Facing directly forward caused us both to miss-mount. We both turned a bit right on our chairs, and the problem disappeared.

Cheers

I am assuming you are using an auto / pump with a long stock bolt. Some auch as the benellis and franchis have a set of shims and they do shift the stock quite a bit. You need to raise the comb so bending the stock upwards is required, and may also need to have less cast. You could make shims out of plastic of slivers of wood. With some auto’s were have a recoil spring in the stock you will need to open up the hole that it goes in.

If its an over and under, bit more of a challenge as you have the tangs to deal with. You would bend the stock at the hand upwards. Chances you would also need to deal with the stock bolt hole as well.

Raising the comb with a comb raiser may be the easiest solution.

I had a Benelli Nova. Liked the Gun but it was designed for fat jowly very chubby cheeked shooters and have narrow face so had to hold my head upright to see down the barrel. I swapped it for an AyA No3 Magnum, but could n't get on with that either so sold that as well. Then got a Franchi Affinity left handed second hand but virtually brand new. A very adjustable stock that fits me perfectly and it shoot where I look. And it's a magic wand. Don't have to think about anything - duck, bang, splash - happy dog.

Re reading your original Post - might be worth have a shooting lesson with an experienced gun fitter who can look at your technique, in particular head position, as well as your gun.

I have a Browning Gold Fusion auto. They have three plastic shims. I needed more drop so changed the shim. It worked perfectly for me.
Don't loose the shims though. The importers will charge you about £30 each ……… robber barons.

I am assuming you are using an auto / pump with a long stock bolt. Some auch as the benellis and franchis have a set of shims and they do shift the stock quite a bit. You need to raise the comb so bending the stock upwards is required, and may also need to have less cast. You could make shims out of plastic of slivers of wood. With some auto’s were have a recoil spring in the stock you will need to open up the hole that it goes in.

If its an over and under, bit more of a challenge as you have the tangs to deal with. You would bend the stock at the hand upwards. Chances you would also need to deal with the stock bolt hole as well.

Raising the comb with a comb raiser may be the easiest solution.
Comb is more likely like suggested above.

Back