Advice needed - fixed sights removal - Haenel Jaeger 10 Pro

TomDeer

I've decided to moderate my Haenel. It is apparently fitted with their i-sight fixed sights system, which apparently is easily removable and I have decided to remove it.

Whilst the notch and post parts of the sights remove easily via small allen key grub screws, the mount into which they attach is somewhat trickier.

With in each base section there is a larger grub screw that I am presuming threads into the barrel itself. Each of these larger grub screws however appears to have had some compound placed in the head (into which the allen key would be inserted).

What I am struggling with is how to remove the compound to get the allen key inserted. I can't tell what the compound is. I gave it a blast with a hair dryer to see if it would soften but that didn't work. I have wondered whether to just go picking at it but it seems pretty tough stuff.

Has anyone dealt with removal of the Haenel i-sight system (the same as Merkel's I believe) and encountered this problem? If they have, any advice gratefully received!

User00026

Try acetone, otherwise a bit of heat from a small blowtorch or soldering iron.

any chance one could inherit the sights? I’m needing some for a project?

Woodsmoke

It'll be an anti-tamper/anti water-trap compound probably. It'll be easy enough to remove with the pointed end of a scribe or similar :thumb:

TomDeer

Try acetone, otherwise a bit of heat from a small blowtorch or soldering iron.

any chance one could inherit the sights? I’m needing some for a project?

I was planning on keeping them to shoot over open sights from time to time. If I change my mind, I'll keep you in mind.

It'll be easy enough to remove with the pointed end of a scribe or similar :thumb:

I think I'll start with the scribe and, if that doesn't work, move onto the soldering iron. As the base units are plastic I won't be overdoing the heat aspect.

Thanks for the suggestions gents.

TomDeer

Why bother?
An inability to resist tinkering with rifles? 😉

But yes, if it looks like I'll mess things up I'll leave it for the gunsmith to sort out.

The suggestion from such Haenel/Merkel literature as there is on the subject does suggest it is but a moment's work with an allen key but the reality would appear to differ.