Advice on Set up for Rabbits

Noyster303

Hi
I am looking to combine the following three items and would welcome advice on set up for rabbits no further than 100yrds

Rifle - Ruger 10/22- already own

Scope- NikkoStirling Mountmaster AO 3-9 x 50 half Mil Dot- already own

Night Vision- Pard 007 - just about to buy

thanks in advance.

I’ve been using a pard for a while now on a 22-250 and it’s a cracking bit of kit, I’ve just changed the lens from the standard 16mm to 12mm and it’s transformed the scope yet again, very easy to change and lens can be bought from a chap on Facebook for £14 delivered

I use a CZ 455, moderator and sub-sonics, very quiet. The 10-22 might not cycle sub-sonics. Just a thought.
I also use a ludicrous lumens NV unit. Bit like a NiteSite, but separate IR torch. The screen is a bit of an issue, illuminates your face a bit, but otherwise good kit. But from what I have heard its no match for the Pard.

I’ve been using a pard for a while now on a 22-250 and it’s a cracking bit of kit, I’ve just changed the lens from the standard 16mm to 12mm and it’s transformed the scope yet again, very easy to change and lens can be bought from a chap on Facebook for £14 delivered

Transformed it in what way?

AFAIK the 12mm lens will increase the width of the view of the scope reticle at the expense of reduced magnification - which is actually an advantage with something like the Sightron with the MOA reticle, as the scope mag can be kept low for maximum light throughput, while the Pard's 2x (ish) optical magnification can then be increased digitally without major image degradation.

There's an interesting discussion over at NVForumUK on this thread which suggests that the 12mm may indeed be better for close range work for the reason above, plus it will help with fine focus on the lower quality scopes at those ranges, making it the better choice for ratting etc. What are you using the Pard for and what day scope is it on?

Last edited:
I’ve found it transformed it, in the fact I can use the mag on the scope to full use again, where as when I had the 16mm lens it was too overpowered. I’m using a hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 scope.

I’ve found it transformed it, in the fact I can use the mag on the scope to full use again, where as when I had the 16mm lens it was too overpowered. I’m using a hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 scope.

Ah, that might explain it as your scope has quite a high base magnification to start with.

The 16mm version of the Pard will be better with, for instance, the Sightron 2.5-17.5x16 and similar scopes up to about 4 x minimum mag. The new generation IR lasers - SRX, XTL, Dark Engine - also allow the 16mm Pard to perform to it's maximum with a suitable scope, as you can ramp up to maximum mag and then still dial in a couple with digital. Viewing out to 400m+ for backstop and shooting to 300m isn't unusual for some.

You really need a PX adjustable scope to get the best out of an add on. If your mount master has front AO add a surf coaster as it will make it far easier to adjust in the dark

Ah, that might explain it as your scope has quite a high base magnification to start with.

The 16mm version of the Pard will be better with, for instance, the Sightron 2.5-17.5x16 and similar scopes up to about 4 x minimum mag. The new generation IR lasers - SRX, XTL, Dark Engine - also allow the 16mm Pard to perform to it's maximum with a suitable scope, as you can ramp up to maximum mag and then still dial in a couple with digital. Viewing out to 400m+ for backstop and shooting to 300m isn't unusual for some.

I use Yukon Photons on my .22lr or .17hmr but you dont need much for foxing or rabbiting ,

A good lamp - Nightvision if you want it - .22lr CZ 455 or 452 is what I have - scopes dont need to be too great either , I have a cheap vortex on one and a cheap Hawke on the other or the Yukon Photon . probably the least expensive out of all the shooting sports and probably the most fun.

Attachments

• 20150727_042135.jpg
    20150727_042135.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 49
  • 11180599_10152783505694149_3855691157171762431_n.jpg
    11180599_10152783505694149_3855691157171762431_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 11094929_10152783505449149_878791821030763555_n.jpg
    11094929_10152783505449149_878791821030763555_n.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20150521_025512.jpg
    20150521_025512.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 47
I use Yukon Photons on my .22lr or .17hmr but you dont need much for foxing or rabbiting ,

A good lamp - Nightvision if you want it - .22lr CZ 455 or 452 is what I have - scopes dont need to be too great either , I have a cheap vortex on one and a cheap Hawke on the other or the Yukon Photon . probably the least expensive out of all the shooting sports and probably the most fun.

They've had there day now...not many people want a Photon these days..

yer the Pard has become popular but again it still is only as good as the IR your using .

For anything the .22 & .17 will be used on, the Pard’s onboard IR is more than adequate. It’s output is incredible for the size of the unit.

For anything the .22 & .17 will be used on, the Pard’s onboard IR is more than adequate. It’s output is incredible for the size of the unit.
yer totally but so is a cheap Photon or more expensive NV , I shoot happily with the .22lr to 150yrds with a half decent T50 style IR and have done for years , you dont even need nightvision for rabbits, A red torch on top of your scope does the exact same job and you can pick them and the mounts up for less that £50 . You don't need NV for rabbits really if your just shooting the odd one or two bunnies that are not lampshy , If your shooting 100 a night then start thinking of Nightvision and investing in it.

We can argue all night about NV products and whats best but we all know a new one will come out soon enough and the Chinese will make it cheaper somehow, but , in the end you dont need it for rabbits.

yer totally but so is a cheap Photon or more expensive NV , I shoot happily with the .22lr to 150yrds with a half decent T50 style IR and have done for years , you dont even need nightvision for rabbits, A red torch on top of your scope does the exact same job and you can pick them and the mounts up for less that £50 . You don't need NV for rabbits really if your just shooting the odd one or two bunnies that are not lampshy , If your shooting 100 a night then start thinking of Nightvision and investing in it.

We can argue all night about NV products and whats best but we all know a new one will come out soon enough and the Chinese will make it cheaper somehow, but , in the end you dont need it for rabbits.

You don't need night vision for anything but people use it, you don't need thermal for anything but people use it.. ?? Why because its better, watch a beam of light get thrown around a field back end of the season, and watch things instantly start moving...less disturbance to game and immediate area around you .. visible light is old hat and things get educated really quick, so your opinion to me is not a valid one..

The Photon was a good unit, but plagued with little issues, and 640 resolution, the Pard NV008 is now 1080P much higher resolution, has powerful inbuilt VCSEL laser, full HD colour also and replaceable batteries are £4.. no brainer.. times move on, nothing stands still for long...

I used to go out with a 1,000,000 candle power lamp , red filter and a car battery around my shoulder as a kid , I'm not going back to that to reminisce.

I’ve used visible light and Photons, both standard and built an Xtreme with 105mm lens, with and without external IR, on .22s for rabbits and can say with confidence that the Pard 007 and a suitable scope are in a totally different league and at an affordable price.

You don't need night vision for anything but people use it, you don't need thermal for anything but people use it.. ?? Why because its better, watch a beam of light get thrown around a field back end of the season, and watch things instantly start moving...less disturbance to game and immediate area around you .. visible light is old hat and things get educated really quick, so your opinion to me is not a valid one..

The Photon was a good unit, but plagued with little issues, and 640 resolution, the Pard NV008 is now 1080P much higher resolution, has powerful inbuilt VCSEL laser, full HD colour also and replaceable batteries are £4.. no brainer.. times move on, nothing stands still for long...

I used to go out with a 1,000,000 candle power lamp , red filter and a car battery around my shoulder as a kid , I'm not going back to that to reminisce.
Be fair though you are one of the only people selling PARDS are you not ? so your being far from un-bias ,

I can recommend a lot of NV that is better and yes more expensive than a pard but there are still guys out there shooting just as many rabbits if not more with just a lamp,

Nightvision has its downsides as do all products for shooting and you need to use all in conjuction with each other, if it is raining outside heavy no matter whether you are shooting with a lamp or NV or even Thermal for that matter your gonna have issues.

If your popping 20 or so rabbits month and your doing it for sport then you do not need NV ,

I have spent the last 5 or 6 years testing all sorts of nightvision etc etc ,

It was not that long ago that on forums like this the Nightmaster was bein branded as the best lamp on the market, which is actually rubbish and many have come to realise that.

I am not putting the Pard down, I have used it and yes it is very good for the money, but like all NV is your not used to it it does take a bit of getting used too and guys like us that are clued up on it have to remember this.

I personally , for the money, think one of the best units on the market right now is the N450 / 455 but to warrant £1000 to shoot 20 rabbits a month would be stupid .

IN FACT , at the moment in the North of Scotland there is NO need for any Nightvision and I have actually been using day scopes without lamp right out until midnight recently. So just now with the long days NV is useless .

Anyways each to their own .

Back