Advice on Weatherby Vanguard anyone got one??

Hi guys went into Garlands, my local shop looking at a new stalking rifle and they swore by the Weatherby vanguard! they have a good deal on them with a Zeiss 6x42, mounts, gun slip and sling for a Grand!! I thought it was a good deal?? i looked at the stainless/synthetic and it looks very nice. This was an extra £120,One thing i can't understand the stock forend seems a tight fit to the barrel! i thought they all had to be free floating?? before i order one i would like some opinions on them please!! :rolleyes: Reading all the info on them they come with a factory shot target guarantee of 1 and a half inch group at 100yds. Apparently there made in Japan?

Thar

The Weatherby Vanguard is made by Howa, the same model as the Howa 1500 Lighting.

Good honest rifle. ;)

The barrels are pressure bedded at the tip of the forend, it is an American thing, some are still are not convinced in a free floated barrel. :???: But it only takes a few minutes with a bit of wooden dowel and some sandpaper to open out the barrel channel to free float the barrel. :lol:

All the best.

Thar.

Beowulf

Seems alright! I'd go for a Tikka T3 though! But then again the Vanguard with the Zeiss will do the job just as well. The stainless / synthetic is a good idea. Since getting one I spend hardly no time cleaning it!

Beowulf

Norm,
Could you post a picture of the rifle when you get it please? I like guns! :D
Has Garlands still got the 90 metre range for trying out rifles?

i'll post a pic if i get it, Jamie at Garlands said upto 3 month delivery :oops: so may go with something else.Garlands do still have the 90mtr range only a fiver an hour just phone and speak to terry to book it.Beats the drive all the way to Minsterley!! thanks for the offer on the rifle i'm looking for a .308. I have given Garlands a deposit but this is exchangeable to another rifle so committed to them really? i don't mind as long as i get to use the zeroing facility then fantastic.

nico243

The Weatherby Vanguard's are made by HOWA, in fact I think they are rebadged HOWA 1500's!
personally I would go with the much cheaper HOWA, well actually I have, I have just ordered a heavy barrelled HOWA 1500 .243 8)

Drew

Did you have alook at the Savage (also a Garlands import) while you were there? That Accutrigger seems pretty good. Only ever dry fired one but seemed OK.

nico243

Drew said:
Did you have alook at the Savage (also a Garlands import) while you were there? That Accutrigger seems pretty good. Only ever dry fired one but seemed OK.
I used to have a SAVAGE .243, it was pre just "accu-trigger" admittedly but it was the absolute worst rifle I have ever owned or fired, the build quality and finish was agricultural to say the least and regardless of what ammo it was fed, it grouped like a spud-gun, I would not have another one even if it was given to me for free!!