African stalking

Blaser3006

I'm off to the Limpopo region of SA on the 14th June for a look at the local wildlife and happen to be taking the musket. ( sorry John.d.m not trying to rub salt into the wound, you will be sorely missed, I would have loved to shoot Africa with you this year :( )

Don't know how much mileage we'll get out of this one but I do genuinely want to know.

For those that have had close encounters of the mossie kind, what do you find best to stop the little blighters biting apart from deet?

I would like to know as I tend to react quite badly to bites and I don't fancy malaria much anyway.

I'll try anything almost, except lubing up with diesel which seems a little extreme.

Blaser3006 said:
For those that have had close encounters of the mossie kind, what do you find best to stop the little blighters biting apart from deet?

Eat plenty of garlic prior to and whilst out there. Start taking yeast tablets about 2 weeks before you travell and keep taking them when there. use Carbolic soap and dont wear any smelly stuff.

Get yourself some Avon skin so soft lotion.

Oh Yeah! And check out the advise on the tick thread.

I know alot detrementle has been said about Larium, but personally I have taken it few times, I never had a problem with it, I liked it because it was 1 tablet a day, and wasn`t a long course of tablets.
Memory isn`t that great so I like the simple things in life :D
You`d love it if I was coming with you Blaser for 2 reasons,
1. if there was only 1 mossie in Africa whilst I was there we could gaurentee it would leave everyone else alone and bite me.
Secondly.... I could show you how to shoot :lol: :lol:

Unlike some of those on this forum, who have never hunted Africa, and probably never will.

Blaser first of all check out with your local quack, what type of anti malarial drugs to take. You may need a two different types. Morning and evening as you know are the dangerous times to get bitten Will you be under canvas, or in a roundavel?

I find most good camps supply insect repellant, make sure you spray the room/tent when you leave for dinner. That way everything should be dead by the time you get back from dinner. Wear long trousers in the evenings, spray them with jungle formula, keeps ticks off as well. Wear a hat or baseball cap and spray it with Jungle formula.

You can also buy coil repellants which burn slowly and and seem to work fairly well, in a room or tent. By the time you get out there the dry season will be well under way, so middle of the day you shouldnt have any problems with mozzies. Which crew are you hunting with?

Oh by the way, most mozzies are attracted by expelled human breath, and also dark colours. So eating garlic will have no effect, except it might keep the vampire eating mozzies away.

Mossie's

If I were you I would forget Larium, I had a bad exerience with it as did someone else and you would not like it. It effects some and not others. If you can talk to the local chemists or get someone to get them for you, they know what works best locally that is if you are going via a major city/town, I guess you might be flying to Joburg in which case you can get them in the airport. There are ones you can take just one a day without having to take them weeks ahead. Downside is they are not cheap Last time I was in Africa it was about £140 for two of us. Most of the local sprays work fine just use plenty but sorry to dissapoint you but you will get bitten. Best advice put your net up before dinner and spray inside then spray the room/tent before you get in bed. A few mossie kisses is a small price to pay to go hunting.
The rumour about Avon skin care is true, it really does work on mossies ask the SAS.
Good Hunting and sweet dreams

Bradley said:
Blaser3006 said:

Eat plenty of garlic prior to and whilst out there. Start taking yeast tablets about 2 weeks before you travell and keep taking them when there. use Carbolic soap and dont wear any smelly stuff.

Get yourself some Avon skin so soft lotion.

Oh Yeah! And check out the advise on the tick thread.

A lot of the posters on the angling forums would agree with using Avon Skin So Soft

Thanks for all the replies, I'll be using malarone as malaria prophylaxis. I must admit I've heard about garlic and the yeast tablets.

Malcolm I'm going to an area owned by Hento safaris.

I know I'm going to get bitten but I just don't fancy it too many times, if you're not on a wind up then I'll give the skin so soft a whirl just so long as I don't have to mince through the bushveld.

Anyone used citronella? Is it any good?

Skin so soft, have used it for years against the Highland midges. Now I know they are not from the dark continent but, having experienced midges I find it difficult to imagine worse. I have used it with success in America and Australia, never been to Africa so can't help there.

John

PS It is better than citronella IMHO.

malcolm said:
Oh by the way, most mozzies are attracted by expelled human breath, and also dark colours. So eating garlic will have no effect, except it might keep the vampire eating mozzies away.

Oh dear, more incorrect advise. The main human attractant for mosquitoes is lactic acid which is found on human skin, CO2 is a far lesser attractant.

Garlic is an excellent mosquito repellent, and has been used for hundreds of years. Whilst not providing total protection , but then what does?

Its totally natural and if you so desire completely organic.

Can you be more specific about the skin so soft as avon do about 6 different types of skin so soft lotions, please help.

Praise the Lord

It's good to see that there's a little more good humour back in this discussion. I thought it was going the same way as one or two other threads at the moment.

Clearly Spring signals the start of the stalker's 'rut' as there seem to be so many stalkers wanting to crash head-long into each other. Passion is great, but so it listening to what someone else thinks and not reacting negatively just because it differs from your own thoughts.

Let's keep the passion but lose some of the aggression! Even with the emoticons, people are going to take it the wrong way and then it all spirals out of control (and this will become just like every other forum).

Cheers,

Rob

Blaser3006 said:
Can you be more specific about the skin so soft as avon do about 6 different types of skin so soft lotions, please help.

Apparently, according to the fishing forums you need the spray on oil in Forest Fresh. Page 146 of the current catalogue.

Just to correct one small point in Will.B posting. Lactic acid on human skin has only been proved a major factor to the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti.

morena said:
Just to correct one small point in Will.B posting. Lactic acid on human skin has only been proved a major factor to the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti.

True but the expectation is that the same will apply across the various types.

Funding for such resaerch is limited and often subject to an individual research scientists particular interest.

Imperical reasearch will I suspect be conducted at some piont in the very near future. By some poor post grad student. :lol:

Empirical research by one student on such an important subject.Cloud cuckoo land.Limberger/limburger cheese is showing more promise.Hundreds of millions of $ are being put into research both on treatment prevention and even vaccination.Obviously anthropophilic anopheles sp mosquitoes in East Africa behave diffirently to elsewhere. Read the literature.

morena said:
.Limberger/limburger cheese is showing more promise.Hundreds of millions of $ are being put into research both on treatment prevention and even vaccination.Obviously anthropophilic anopheles sp mosquitoes in East Africa behave diffirently to elsewhere. Read the literature.

Limberger cheese contains a bacteria that is also found on the human foot. Due to the monks who developed the manufacturing process actually treading the cheese with their feet.

NICE :eek:

Back