Age please.

2130martin

View attachment 74317 View attachment 74318

I shot this one the other evening on the winter barley. 4 perhaps?

I would say he is an old boy by the 2 cusp PMiii and general overall wear of all teeth(would be better if had a picture from above). The pedicles are wide and coronets sloping also.

Not sure if it can be accurately aged unless a local stalker with experience of the wear versus the environment and food source etc.

Hope that helps.

baguio

IMO that's in the region of 7 years old I would say give or take a year. A jaw board will help you if you shoot a lot of roe in this area but without a tooth sectioning that's as close as you're going to get.

Highlandsjohn

I would say he is an old boy by the 2 cusp PMiii and general overall wear of all teeth(would be better if had a picture from above). The pedicles are wide and coronets sloping also.

Not sure if it can be accurately aged unless a local stalker with experience of the wear versus the environment and food source etc.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Martin and baguio, that would make more sense. Ill get another pic up.. He was with three generations of his offspring, that is, if the doe in the pic is full. Last years twin females are just out of the pic and will be culled this winter Happy families...

View attachment 74324

Last edited:
I would think seven plus ,you really won't find sloping of the coronets much before six years, and the slope is quite pronounced in this case, as others have said the only way to be certain is to have a tooth sectioned.

Monkey Spanker

I would say about 7 at a guess. The teeth are over 50% worn. The pedicles are very close to the skull, quite wide and slope downwards, all of which are signs of an older beast.
However, it raises the question about how accurately we really need to age deer? Ageing deer on the hoof is probably more important, as once you've pulled the trigger, age is somewhat irrelevant as it is dead! As this thread has shown, once Roe deer get over a couple of years old, aging them is very difficult and very subjective. I only bother to classify them as either Young, Mature or Old on my records now. I would say that one is 'Old'.
MS

[h=1]Age determination in roe deer — a new approach to tooth wear evaluated on known age individuals[/h]http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03192672

if you are asked to but this online you can get a copy from the sci-hub link (it keeps moving as the robber barons of academic publishing keep trying to close it down) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub