AILQ?

This was reported on the news this morning.

The person from Whipsnade said that the brown bears had killed the male boar in the adjacent enclosure and injured the sow, though in the BBC report it reads slightly differently.

Questions were raised about why tranquillisers couldn’t be used, and whether the public were put at risk. The chap from Whipsnade made the point that brown bears are large, powerful predators…..

Doubtless, as with the recently escaped cows, some members of the general public will now claim to have been traumatised by these “needless” deaths.

The other issue with firing tranquilliser darts are the projectiles themselves are a pressurised syringe so MUST be recovered if the animal has been missed otherwise they could inject the contents into an unintended recipient if the needle in the stationary dart were to puncture their skin. One Zoo that I visited as a student had different categories of animals, there was a policy that the larger and more dangerous ones were shot on sight if they escaped their enclosure. I suspect the brown bears were on such a list. Less dangerous escapees might have been shot if escape from the zoo perimeter seemed imminent. The zoo had an impressive armoury!!

This was reported on the news this morning.

The person from Whipsnade said that the brown bears had killed the male boar in the adjacent enclosure and injured the sow, though in the BBC report it reads slightly differently.

Questions were raised about why tranquillisers couldn’t be used, and whether the public were put at risk. The chap from Whipsnade made the point that brown bears are large, powerful predators…..

Doubtless, as with the recently escaped cows, some members of the general public will now claim to have been traumatised by these “needless” deaths.
Oh dear I've had to have a lie down. I took a fit of the vapours after hearing about those poor teddy bears. 🐻🐻

Always ready with a smart-ass reply, well I'm not impressed as usual.
A very sad turn of events for all, particularly the zoo.:(
Oh dear, I seem to have touched a nerve. The zoo have been losing all sorts of stuff for years, shot some of it myself on adjacent land. Sad indeed that they don't check the enclosures enough and let potentially dangerous animals escape. Now I have to lie down again after your nasty words to me, I'm really upset.😭😭😭🖕

Apparently the problem with cows is they fart too much ?
Ergo:- if they save all the cows from being made into burgers they’ll be killing the planet 🙈

Apparently the problem with cows is they fart too much ?
Ergo:- if they save all the cows from being made into burgers they’ll be killing the planet 🙈
The millions of bison on the North American continent before they were all shot didn't seem to be making too much of a dent with their farts.

The other issue with firing tranquilliser darts are the projectiles themselves are a pressurised syringe so MUST be recovered if the animal has been missed otherwise they could inject the contents into an unintended recipient if the needle in the stationary dart were to puncture their skin. One Zoo that I visited as a student had different categories of animals, there was a policy that the larger and more dangerous ones were shot on sight if they escaped their enclosure. I suspect the brown bears were on such a list. Less dangerous escapees might have been shot if escape from the zoo perimeter seemed imminent. The zoo had an impressive armoury!!
good reply
one other thing that could have been a contributory factor to putting them down could well have been the security of the boar pen - bear and boar are completely different the boar paddock may have been a bit of scrub with a strong secure but low height fence easy options for a bear to move through and quickly. a quick call decision is required, bit damned if you do and the same if you don’t if more animals or humans are killed
A right call I would think. not knowing all the facts a run towards safe containment

did they use non toxic dont harm the world sponsered by greta and cwises pc sssshhhh dont mention lead on s/d ammo bs :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: GWP
Sad for the bears, but think it was the right decision as the boar pen would unlikely hold them long.

My old FEO had some interesting stories about when he used to visit zoos.

One time he said that two dangerous game keepers almost came to blows as both said that they wouldn’t shoot their own keepered animal, but would happily shoot each other’s.

As mentioned above, the armouries are impressive, but with staff not being gun people, he said it was scary that many didn’t know one end from the other.

Lol - last time I was at a zoo, I saw a vet tranquillise a small monkey in an enclosure. Poor monkey naturally climbed to the top of the tree and then fell 15 foot when the sedative kicked in.

Back