Air Rifle does not expel air.

Firefly

Hi,

After buying a new air rifle I put my BSA Ultra SE up for sale and a work colleauge took it home for a trial.

He says he cant get it working and I have taken it back. After removing 5 stuck pellets from the barrel :eek: it no longer works. The bolt will cock back with a click and trigger squeeze will induce another click but no air is moving anywhere.

Any airgun experts have any ideas what might be wrong and might I be able to fix it myself ?

Cheers,

Ff

Robb

It could be over filled how much air is in it according to the gauge ? Other than that O rings or exhaust valve are the first things that spring to mind.
I presume it was working ok when you sold it to him ?

JohnT

As Robb has said, it appears that he may have overcharged so that the valve is locked. Also, since there were a number of pellets in the barrel he may have caused some damage to the valve system The only way to find out is to have it stripped by an expert. I'm down at the club tonight so will ask around some of the guys that have/ have had Ultras to see if they have come across this problem before.

Firefly

Thanks guys, The chap had no way of charging it. He was just trying it out. I assume he repeatedly worked the bolt piling one pellet on top of another until there were 5 up the barrel. It was charged to optimum pressure before he took it for a try out. He had some successful shots before whatever went wrong. He hasn't paid yet so I'm gonna have to stump up repair costs unless I can self fix .

amadablam

Thanks guys, The chap had no way of charging it. He was just trying it out. I assume he repeatedly worked the bolt piling one pellet on top of another until there were 5 up the barrel. It was charged to optimum pressure before he took it for a try out. He had some successful shots before whatever went wrong. He hasn't paid yet so I'm gonna have to stump up repair costs unless I can self fix .
Ouch! Sure he knew he was cycling pellets in on top of each other? Awkward situation being a friend though, feel your pain there. Although he should still cover repair costs.

It sounds like damage to the valve/piston or seal.

You could try emptying the air and refilling I slowly again and see if it helps reset the valve.

I've no experience with that brand of air rifle though

Firefly

Today I took the air rifle to the Airgun Centre in Rayleigh. They sorted the rifle out. A rouge pellet was stuck in the trigger mechanism. Totally free of charge repair. Excellent guys. I highly recommend them.

amadablam

Today I took the air rifle to the Airgun Centre in Rayleigh. They sorted the rifle out. A rouge pellet was stuck in the trigger mechanism. Totally free of charge repair. Excellent guys. I highly recommend them.
At least you are sorted with it. :eek:

happyshooting

Nightmare. I have seen that once before. somehow it falls out of the magazine, and back into the action. luckily and easy fix!!