Alcohol

norma 308

So I’ve never been a drinker I’m a lightweight ! Always have been always will be .I tried hard when I was younger to keep up with the lads but it just made me ill and wasted valuable time feeling crap 💩
My family are all drinkers and I felt somewhat inferior on family occasions drinking coke 😳 and often had the pee taken out of me for that reason not that I was bothered . My mum bless her has now passed away and it’s early days for us all and my father is struggling the most but I know see just how much alcohol means to my family as Im checking in regularly.
I have a beer most days with my supper I enjoy a beer 🍺 not 6
My family seem to revolve around drink , meals out , meals in , an early bevy or a session I’m at a loss as I’m not into that , I couldn’t function after just one outing !
grieving is just part of life for us all at some point I’m sad that I can’t help my lot see the lifestyle and comedown doesn’t help the grieving!
norma

kes

You wouldn't wish to grieve by taking drugs as it merely defers and intensifies the inevitable feelings. I too am an awful lightweight and so do not drink much and pay the price when I do. When my parents died I just went a few longer wanders than I do normally, remembering those special times. I feel sure they would have approved since my Dad introduced me to shooting and Mum was always ready with a game pie.

Stalker1962

Firstly, I am sorry for the loss of your Mum.

That you do not drink, (as much) as those around you, is a matter for you. You should not have to explain your life choices to others. They in turn, should not question yours.

Which leads onto the dilemma you have. Others have made their decisions to drink (more than you), it is difficult to challenge others decisions to do so. Alcohol is a great "short term" solution to most problems - no good in the longer term.

All you can do, is what you are doing. Check in and be there if needed.

What is it they used to say about alcohol being a good servant but a terrible master.

Sampo

Sorry to hear. For those who got used to a particular lifestyle, its not easy to get away from it. Have seen a fair share of distant relatives/ friends who have gone down this route with usually a sad outcome.

Tim.243

So I’ve never been a drinker I’m a lightweight ! Always have been always will be .I tried hard when I was younger to keep up with the lads but it just made me ill and wasted valuable time feeling crap 💩
My family are all drinkers and I felt somewhat inferior on family occasions drinking coke 😳 and often had the pee taken out of me for that reason not that I was bothered . My mum bless her has now passed away and it’s early days for us all and my father is struggling the most but I know see just how much alcohol means to my family as Im checking in regularly.
My family seem to revolve around drink , meals out , meals in , an early bevy or a session I’m at a loss as I’m not into that , I couldn’t function after just one outing !
grieving is just part of life for us all at some point I’m sad that I can’t help my lot see the lifestyle and comedown doesn’t help the grieving!
norma
Not had a drink for a very long time...Booze and fags are a waste of time and money.

DeerSussex

Nothing sinister, I travel very frequently with work. I’ve seen many friends & colleagues make poor health & lifestyle decisions whilst under the influence. Also I found that going for a few pints ceased being as enjoyable as it used to be.
Since I’ve given up I’ve far more money in my pocket which is just as well, shooting isn’t a cheap pastime

norma 308

I’ve always prided myself as having a great time whilst in or out without having to get totally £&&?faced
At 54 I can see that my body is tired from Manuel graft and needs looking after bits of me ache and get sore without managing a head that’s feels like Lennox Lewis thumped you
Thanks for the comments glad I’ve not got an addiction to drink ect after 2 failed marriages that both quoted you love fieldsports more than me I guess I’m addicted to something!

ashray

good afternoon ,interesting post with reference to alcohol, due to a medical condition i have blood tests done every three months and my gp says one of the tests is to see how much i drink!<very rarely in my case> but on one of our discussions he said that if it was above a certain level <mine is not> he would have to inform thames valley police as my file says i hold an fac! just wondered about the legality of this as dont doctors have to keep patient information confidential? just some thing for fac holders to keep in mind perhaps.

Reactions: JTO

Lloyd90

When I didn’t drink / hardly drank I was a few stone lighter.

Easy to sink 2-3 cans or cider on a night after a tough shift but no benefit to it really.

Think I should probably give it up again.

Know a lot of friends it seems to be their only social outlet. They have no other hobbies and I think it just becomes a bad habit.

Lloyd90

good afternoon ,interesting post with reference to alcohol, due to a medical condition i have blood tests done every three months and my gp says one of the tests is to see how much i drink!<very rarely in my case> but on one of our discussions he said that if it was above a certain level <mine is not> he would have to inform thames valley police as my file says i hold an fac! just wondered about the legality of this as dont doctors have to keep patient information confidential? just some thing for fac holders to keep in mind perhaps.

They also have to notify Police if you present with a mental disorder or similar that would make you unfit to hold a FAC.

They can’t just keep it confidential. That’s why they have a marker on your file.

12gsnapcaps

To echo @DeerSussex 's comments, I still drink but much less than i used to, and it's bloody expensive so you really see the gains in your pocket once you go out once a month instead of every saturday night!. A pint is £5 now, a round of drinks easily £30 especially if you've got lasses on the gins or large wines. That's 40 rounds of PPU .308 ..... Which one am i going to enjoy more?!?!

nick.308

Not 100% sure but the case of doctors breaking confidentiality is supposed to be only if it is in the interest of safety to the public. So In my eyes that means the doctors need to be concerned about your mental health/ drinking behaviour to do so.

Daddy The Skunk

norma
The problem is what? You make a good choice for your self. Social drink and low amounts are fine as is no booze at all. Sorry so see that your mother has passed best wishes sir for you and the family.

FrenchieBoy

I used to drink more than I should but eventually I realised that I was doing myself more harm than good. Nowadays I still enjoy 1 or 2 bottles of beer at night before I go to bed but I have no interest in going to the pub for a drink, in fact I honestly can't remember when I last went to the pub just for the sake of a drink.
I do not condemn those who choose to go out for a drink, that's entirely their choice and it's their life to do with as they please but I prefer to just have a couple of bottles at home while the wife enjoys a glass of Merlot. I will however raise a glass of scotch tomorrow morning just after 5 o'clock which is when they are laying my brother to rest in Australia immediately after I have finished watching his funeral which is being streamed for our family in the UK.
My sympathies go out to you Norma 308 for your loss.