Alternative .243 IMR 4350 REACH Compliant Powder?

wytonpjs

Help - recommendations needed for a REACH compliant (and available) powder to replace IMR 4350 in my Sako 75 .243 95gn Nosler BT rounds.

paul o'

95 gr bullet loaded 42.1 vit 160 perfect or swiss RS62 as they
have just sent me the load data for 95gr bullets 1-10 twist 24" barrel
nosler bt
sst
95 tmk

stevenedwards

Ramshot hunter gives me marginally tighter groups than N160, the difference is irrelevant in practical terms. They do not have the same point of impact !

stevenedwards

Hi - many thanks. What charge do you use with the Ramshot Hunter and do you have any chrono data? Not looking for the fastest round on the block in order to limit damage but need a consistent tight grouping round.
I will dig out my note this evening I am fairly sure i have some chronograph data I can include

samh6

Anyone seen any Reloader 16 in the market yet? supposed to be a great IMR/H4350 substitute.

LeftHandGuy

Alliant claim that that RL17 is an analogue for IMR4350.

RL17 and RS60 are the same Swiss made, REACH compliant powder, which I understand is both available and reasonably priced in the UK.

I got pretty good results using it with IMR4350 start loads - RS also publish load data for 243 Win using RS60.

stevenedwards

I will dig out my note this evening I am fairly sure i have some chronograph data I can include
Good job I write stuff down. 24 inch barrel 1:8 twist all at 100 yards
N150 average of 3 3 shot groups 0.349 inch 2972 fps. 35gr 30th from lands 2.5th neck tension 95gr NBT
N160 ~ ~ ~ ~ 0.601 inch 3008 fps. 42gr 20th from lands 2.5th neck tension 95gr NBT
Hunter average 2 x 3 shot groups 0.672 inch 3297 fps. 44gr 40th from lands neck tension ? 85gr Barnes TSX
Hunter As above 0.288 inch 3339 fps. 45gr 50th from lands 2.5th tension 85gr Barnes TSX - just a hint of primer flattening -

I have only use the N160 with 95 NBT on deer, three reds out to 197 yards and two to three roe a lot closer if I recall correctly. No problems so far.

Hope that helps

wytonpjs

Many thanks to all - I initially though RL-17 but couldn’t find it. My LGS stocks Swiss but not RS60 hence interest in Hunter which does seem to be more freely available. Some more research and i’ll see what Alicante get at next week’s NEC show.

Thanks again :thumb:

Muir

Lovex SO70 is what I'm substituting for The 4350's. Don't know about REACH compliance.~Muir

LeftHandGuy

Many thanks to all - I initially though RL-17 but couldn’t find it. My LGS stocks Swiss but not RS60 hence interest in Hunter which does seem to be more freely available. Some more research and i’ll see what Alicante get at next week’s NEC show.

Thanks again :thumb:
Interesting - I think as things stand you simply won't get RL17, (some suggestion that Alliant and RS have agreed not to try to sell the same powder in the same marketplace). Surely if your LGS can get RS they could order number 60 for you?

It's funny - so far as I can tell, RS60 (RL17 badged) is the only RS powder that I can get here!

ejg

Once you are out of Europe... can't you tell REACH to go to hell? one of the reasons to leave...
edi