Ammunition price

Mossypaw

Quick trip into town today, into the gun shop to pick up some ammunition and was faced with £66 for a box of Norma in .308

and I thought .243 was getting too much ........

Malxwal

That's mental ! I was disgusted at £55 for Hornady Superformance Creedmoor stuff, but understand it's the latest Fandango Boutique stuff and not common yet, but 308 ? ?

novice

Funnily enough I was thinking about this recently as I came across an old receipt from 2008 recently showing that I paid £21.50 for a box of 100gr norma .243. I paid £38 recently for the same stuff and that was a bargain. I was quoted £45 elsewhere.

Seems a fair old increase in 10 years.

Novice

reloader54

That's crazy! Don't be a victim, here is your solution:
Reloading Kits - Lee Precision

I have plenty of lee precision stuff and it works great for me, however a lot of the other stuff required to reload is very expensive this side of the pond,bullets,primers,cases ect, and powders are likely to get even worse when reach tightens the noose and peoples stash of non compliant powders runs out.
you guys have a much better deal on account of the sheer volume of sales. I would guess hodgdon powders sell more in some states than the entire UK.

Mossypaw

Bought a couple of boxes of RWS instead of Norma.
H-mantel 180gr £52 and Kegelspitz 150gr £47................still hurt !
Must read that reloading book again.

A Guy Out West

One good thing about this is that you guys will likely become the best shots in the world, every single shot will have to count. At those prices, who can afford to fool around. You folks get so ripped off on firearm related items. As RL54 points out, even reloading gear can be expensive. I'll bet there are several gents on this site that have the Lee Basic kit and are ready to move up to the next level. With a little effort, I bet you can find someone to sell you their used kit at a decent price. Mr. Pine Martin comes to mind, I think he uses a basic Lee Loader, he might be ready to move up.

Last edited:

Malxwal

On the subject of using Lee stuff, I recently put together some ammo which produced ES of 1fps using a Lee collet neck sizing die and Lee seating die, in a basic Lee press. Cases weren't cleaned, just trimmed and chamfered. You do not need to spend a fortune on reloading gear, and better still as Guy OW points out, second hand is a great option.

NiemiPT

It looks at least as expensive as here in Finland :O I thought that we are far ahead of anyone else.

1kevb

The last lot of sako 150g super hammer heads cost me £27 per box of 20 in 308 !

Last edited:

Uncas

Perhaps if you are going somewhere special and need a particular type of bullet and performance you should be prepared to pay the extra money.
After all it's the smallest part of your outlay on a hunt and can make all the difference on a trophy animal.

kennyc

Perhaps if you are going somewhere special and need a particular type of bullet and performance you should be prepared to pay the extra money.
After all it's the smallest part of your outlay on a hunt and can make all the difference on a trophy animal.
and when you use a 1000 odd a year for practice it can be a substantial outlay and practice really can make the difference on a hunt :p