An indictment on society in the Western world

John Gryphon

Yesterday I drove to my local P/office to send a parcel to kimh..the mailman met me on the road and advised due to a power outage the small grocer/supermarket that hosts the PO also was closed for the day.
I dutifully drove down again today to be thwarted by "its Saturday PO is not open" FFS!

Ok then I looked at my list of things to buy and a mate came over and advised that "there's sfa in the fridge section due to the power being off"

I walked over to check it out...WTF,about 8 doors of a 20 door fridge were taped off like it was Fukushima and all the products in that section were being thrown out...cheeses,butters,spreads,milks,salamis,yoghurts and lots more, you name it. Several 1000`s odd dollars of perfectly good tucker heading for the dumpster bin!

To no avail would they listen to me,a bloke that lets his cheese sit in the room for a week or more before gannetting it.....
This sort of **** makes my blood BOIL!

Loki

...and likely all becuase of a sell by date (unless they had shutdown/defrosted/chilled.......

starr shot

No excuse for it really in this day and age of technology,you would only have to put it out on the internet free food available.Perhaps not such a good idea as they would be inundated with greedy rather than needy people.

willie_gunn

Whilst I abhor seeing food go to waste, sadly in this day and age I can see people taking this stuff away and then returning it, either claiming a refund because “it smells off” or suggesting it made them ill.

The cost of insuring against this alone probably makes it unfeasible for supermarkets to give the stuff away.

Better would be local co-operative kitchens where it could be donated and used to prepare meals for those in need. Again, though, it would need careful policing to ensure any potential health risks are minimised.

enfieldspares

What's really funny and amusing is that in the UK as cheese in the supermarket chiller cabinet gets older they reduce the price. Yet in France the older a cheese becomes in a proper traditional fromagerie the more it often commands a premium price. Now back in the UK I love it! Near ripe, or nicely ripe, Brie at half price it was when young and not ready to eat.

Klenchblaize

Reminds me of when I was a kid and we use to hang around a Coulsdon or Purley bakery at closing time on Saturday afternoon.

If you could ensure only those in need benefited from the perfectly "good tucker heading for the dumpster bin" I feel sure most shops would be happy for it to go into the bags of the less well off.

K

Shabz

I would imagine the more in the fridge, the better the claim from the electric/insurance company.

I was in Co-op a while back and they wouldn’t let me buy some grapes because they were out of date. I said I didn’t mind and that I’d be eating them on my way home anyway, they’ve come all the way from Peru or somewhere and I’d rather they didn’t have a wasted trip. Would they hell let me have them. I had to go and get an in date punnet from the fridge. I ate a few in the car and found that most of them were covered in mould!

tozzybum

We have 50/50 luck in our co op the sensible manager let's it go ,the numb Nutts even program the self serve to stop u buying it 🤔.
Makes no sense to waste good food in this over populated world but you can't always get past the " rules is rules" idiots.

User00025

How times change, whoever heard of sell by dates sixty five years ago. Greengrocer in village sold fresh in season veg and fruit ( to supplement home grown) and rabbits we supplied. Baker in next village delivered fresh bread (which kept fresh for a few days).
When Mother went to butcher in village she pointed at meat, he held it up and she sniffed it before buying, that was her sell by date test.
Milk came from farm in a can after milking, cream as well.
What a lot of woozy bu...rs we have bred and imported over the intervening years to be in the state we are.

uptonogood

How times change, whoever heard of sell by dates sixty five years ago. Greengrocer in village sold fresh in season veg and fruit ( to supplement home grown) and rabbits we supplied. Baker in next village delivered fresh bread (which kept fresh for a few days).
When Mother went to butcher in village she pointed at meat, he held it up and she sniffed it before buying, that was her sell by date test.
Milk came from farm in a can after milking, cream as well.
What a lot of woozy bu...rs we have bred and imported over the intervening years to be in the state we are.
Sadly, the home-bred ones are worse than the imported variety in respect of turning their noses up at decent grub just because it's a day or two over date.
Sadly a sign of the blame culture ,that and not wanting the 25 yard dash associated with gone off food 🤣🤣

tozzybum

Plate of brawn anyone, nice bit of tripe ,perhaps some pigs cheeks stew ?
This vegetables generation trying to demand we all go vegan and not eat meat 2 words ending in off.
Like a lot on here brought up on take it or leave it ,wouldn't dare tell mum n dad not eating that .
It would be an early night and an empty plate for supper.

uptonogood

Lived near a Harris ‘s slaughterhouse/outlet growing up and Bath chaps ,trotters and tails were midweek roasts .
Next morning was pork dripping on toast with marmite .Veg out the garden

Loki

Hmmm - tripe and trotters - remember the smells well (not with fondness I assure you)! Chicken gizzards anyone?

Tripe was green and needed cleaning, trotters in the 'skin' to singe....