An old memory,lets hear of your own "easy deer"

johngryphon

I took my old staghound bitch (young at the time) to a place 45 minutes from home for a possible chance. Parked my Landrover S11A 109 LWB ( hows that) on a bush track that had been freshly graded and dropped down into a reasonably bushed gully for 150 odd yards that line took me alongside a bit of a side gutter that would only run water after rains.
High ferns at the gully`s junction erupted and a bedded deer jumped into gear heading straight back up hill giving a momentary look which resulted in a bullet leaving the 7mm barrel after a very quick rifle mount. The ferns closed and that`s all I actually saw of it. A few fern movements showed its track.
I gave the young bitch the go ahead and in 30 seconds I heard her barking back up the hill above me.
Stumbling my way back uphill to the barking bitch brought me to her and a very dead big spikey sambar that was laying one metre from the bush track edge . Whoo hoo!.
I stepped onto the track and looked right and my LR was just up the road.....you f****** ripper.
I gave the bitch all the due praise,went and retrieved the LR and backed it to the 2' high mound of graded gravel and soil left by the road grader and dragged it in whole and off to home feeling very smug and pleased with an "easy deer" for a change. I have kept the spikes as they are a memory to that young bitch that lived another 14 years.

Kjf

About 2 to 3 years ago me and supersport off here got up early doors , the barn and caravans were right next to the forest track . So we start walking down the track to get to our stalking routes , when on the first bend on the track in the tree line a doe n follower are bumped , ahhhhhhh bollocks but it's buck season anyway . with the rifle already on the sticks a young buck pops his head out of the ferns next to the tree line , bang went the 308 and the buck dropped. All this within 100yds of the barn . The buck was a peruke as well !!!!!!!

To top it off Supersport shot a buck about 400 yds further on up the track , again shot from the track

Supersport told me it's the first one ( peruke)he had seen on the land in nearly 10 years

A nice easy morning , followed by a full English cooked on the wood stove in the barn , all in all within an hour we had 2 beasts shot and gralloched

Kjf

Last edited:

johngryphon

all in all within an hour we had 2 beasts shot and gralloched
Love it!

I was out this morning for a wander,got 150 yards from the ute and dog stuck his nose up advising that "there is a deer in there" I looked up and one was standing 30 yards from me and as it saw me look it turned and vanished. I rolled along for another 3 K`s for sfa. I fluffed my chance at an easy one ha ha.

FISH BOY

Nice one. Timing is everything in life.

Couple of years ago had a nice roe buck and muntie buck within 100m of the truck.

Any picks of your Landy?

AN DU RU FOX

last year woke up in caravan made a brew stepped out for a wizz heard rustling coming through beeches ,picked rifle up popped three rounds in a buck chasing a doe round and round the trees she sees me and jumps the track the buck stopped behind a tree playing peekaboo steps out bang ,fifteen feet from van.;)

johngryphon

,fifteen feet from van.;)
I was down in Hog Deer country at a mates farmhouse and "dave" whom had at the time the number five Hog Deer stag was there also and was told the tale.
A few years earlier in time his wife said "theres a nice one outside dave"
"dave" grabbed his rifle and shot it out the doorway as it walked past.

Scapegoat

Mid-August, mate and I were planning an afternoon/evening in a high seat. We parked the truck, got all kitted up and set off towards the seat along the edge of a field of standing wheat. We'd gone about twenty yards when a buck standing in the wheelings put his head up above the wheat, about 50 yards away. We all froze. Mate was behind me, I heard the mag slip into the rifle, and felt a hand tap on my shoulder. Next news the forend was on my shoulder, the safety came off and the buck dropped from a neck shot. Can't have been much more than ten minutes after I'd put the handbrake on, and we were less than 75 yards from the truck.

stubear

I've had a few dead easy (read lucky!) ones.

My first ever deer at GAP180 would probably count as one - First outing ever with Paul, got into the high seat and about 20 minutes later a little fallow buck walked out and stood perfectly broadside. He got the good news!

I also had a really easy fallow buck with Malc a couple of years back - Got to his estate during the rut and heard a buck giving it large literally in the front garden of the main house. We had a cup of tea and went out to see if he was still there and he was. Bang, flop and we were back at the bothy about 20 minutes later!

And just over Christmas on our bit of ground in Hampshire I got there early doors and stood near a copse where I'd seen some roe does previously. First knockings of light they were out and I had one of them on the deck before the sun was even properly up.

CarlW

A few years ago, I decided I'd like a really nice bushbuck. I spent days from dawn 'til dusk in 40-degree heat looking for one. The right fella just never emerged.

Somewhat disappointed in my prowess as a Walter-Mitty-esque, self-styled great white hunter, I decided to take a day off from hunting and do some real work instead, preceded - of course - by a leisurely breakfast.

My quiet enjoyment of maize porridge with honey was interrupted, however, by the cook as he swept my meal aside, handed me my rifle and pointed excitedly to my room.

A bushbuck - a monster - was standing outside my bedroom door. I didn't even need to get out of my chair. Bang!

Boy, was I proud of my hunting skills as I tucked back in to my still-warm porridge...

Scapegoat

Another, all too easy one. My lad was working on a Scottish estate, and we'd spent all morning up on some plantings after Does. It had taken us from first light until about 10.30 to drop onto a small group, and they were twitchy, as the plantation we were in was opposite a row of houses. Still, it was a February Sunday morning so there wasn't much noise from the houses at first, but as the world woke up we ended up pushing way up a hill towards some gorse and finally James took a nice doe. Bit of a drag back down to the Navara post gralloch, and we were heading back to the game larder which was right next to the big house. As we got into the policies my lad told me to get the rifle in the front seat as he'd seen a lame doe alongside the driveway, and wanted to see if we could spot it if nothing else to pinpoint her movements for the next time. We parked up for half an hour where he'd seen her, and I stood up in the truck bed scanning the woods around where he'd seen her. No joy, so we decided we'd hang the deer and go for a breakfast. I unloaded the rifle and propped it between my knees and we drove the last couple of hundred yards towards the larder. A few yards short, and a buck and two does crossed the track in front of us. The rearmost doe was limping. I'd already pushed the mag home and flipped off the scope cover, and with the muzzle out of the window racked the bolt. As James braked she was thirty five yards to our left, with a massive banking behind her. The moment the truck stopped I shot her off hand out of the window. She had an old injury to her foreleg, so my inner sportsman was placated.

urx

5th may last year i was in one of my favourite spots looking out over a ride across the valley where roe appear at 150-200m
...a little rustle and a co uple of twig snaps a little behind and to my right...
Roll round (its a prone camp spot)
Maybe 5m away is a buck peeking at me from behind a tree
I oblige by rolling back to collect the rifle and use the reddot on top to take a nice unhurried shot...DRT
....And right bang next to the forestry road for easy extraction...20m drag to the truck

hunta

I've got a few of these "easy" stalks but my latest was in Cumbria where I was stalking Roe with a friend. We had arrived at our destination. A junction of three rides in a large area of clear fell and older plantations. The plan was that we were going to stalk a ride each at first light. As we started to get geared up I scanned with the thermal and spotted a brace of Roe on a newly planted bank 150m away. 5 mins later the buck became visible in my Swarovski. 30 mins later it was gralloched and hanging in a tree.

Cootmeurer

Not my easiest - but my sons first whitetail buck was slam dunk easy. The day began with me taking him over to a Dentist friends farm where I had a single high seat that always resulted in deer sightings. It was a cool and windy day and I told him he would be sitting in a ridge so he should dress warmly. He was 16 years old which meant I was an aged moron and he only needed a light jacket - so I let this lesson play out. I then left and went down the road a mile to train the retriever as we only had about 2 hours of shooting light.

I pulled back in the long long drive about 30 minutes before dark and parked at the cabin as I saw a blaze orange clad lad scrambling down from the high seat up on the ridge. He came down cold and wiser - but I told him to sit on the porch and watch the salt lick for the last few minutes. I went inside and had a cup with my friend while we looked outthe picture window of his cabin and discussed the wisdom of teenage boys.

suddenly, without moving anything but his arm there was a tap tap on the window and he pointed at the buck coming down the hill.we yelled through the window to shoot.

he did - the buck dropped and rolled downhill right into the driveway. We were able to drive within inches of the deer and load easily.

geoshot

A few years back I was bored, so bored that I went stalking on a hot summer day - not something I normally do out of choice as I'm a polar bear - I don't really enjoy deer stalking when I'm sweating and being bothered by flies - the little sh!ts seem to seek me out.
Anyway, I headed to one place I had permission to hunt on and parked up my landrover on a ride within one of the bigger blocks of forest on the estate, just at the bottom of a steep little rise, close to where I had heard that some fallow had been seen.
It was early afternoon in late August so I was in no hurry to set up, took my time and wasn't too quiet either - which normally would have been careless of me, but I wasn't hoping for much, I was after all just killing time cos I had nowt better to do.
Last step of operation faff was loading of the rifle and just as I finished that a movement close by me caught my attention and very quickly got me to focus on the job.
An ash sapling was moving all sorts of ways, and this was a dead calm day, hardly a breath of wind - the midges were a nightmare but I quickly forgot all about them - it had to be a deer thrashing.
Right enough, about 25m or so away was a lovely Fallow sorrel, thrashing the bejasus out of said sapling.
Dead simple, it was rifle up to shoulder, sighted him, safety off = bang-flop
Technically I hadn't even really left the vehicle :)
It was a dead simple retrieval too, I didn't even have to drag him as gravity did most of the work of getting him down the slope - and thanks to the fact that I was parked up at the bottom of the same slope I didn't even have much of a lift to get him into the back of the landy

I'm glad that they're not all that easy though, that would be dull, but as the years add up and my joints wear out I could do with fewer of the tough days maybe, but I still love any hunting day - easy or tough

alistairj

For anyone that has hunted Sambar here in Australia would understand how hard some carryouts can be in the Victorian high country. Usually resulting in breaking down an animal and multiple trips back to your car or camp hopefully with some mates there to help out. You definitely earn a Sambar deer, but also you don’t knock back an easy one when the freezer is empty. I’ve have a few easy carry out which balance out the tough ones. A couple of years ago hunting with a mate I shot one 100m from camp. He carried out a leg back to camp to get his bigger pack while I continued the cut up. He returned shortly later with an ice cold beer, we finished the cut up, carry out and sitting around the camp fire before dark.

johngryphon

Another easy peasy was a young stag that I had seen the morning before. He was rounding a bush spur 3-400 yards off a farm track down the road from home. He was too quick for me so I thought he may just do the same the next morning. I drove past the appointed spot by 1/2 a K and parked my ute. Readied the rifle,got out and opened the passenger door and started to cam up. Something made me look back uphill and here was the same deer stopped dead in his tracks,he propped seeing my white ute. I picked up the rifle lay it on the door for a rest and dropped him cold. Drove up the hill to him,towed him to a track bank,released him,drove back around then backed up to him to tumble him in, job done,feel good ha ha

Muir

I was handgun hunting in South Dakota and had a mind to hunt a woody creek bottom that I knew was populated with whitetail deer. Due to the short range, I toted my ever-trusty Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum with the 4 5/8" barrel carried in a Bianchi hip holster. I parked the truck a hundred feet behind the crest of the hill that overlooked the valley the creek ran through, quietly got ready and began my walk down the slope heading for the beginning of the timber that lined the creek.

I hadn't gone 20 ft when a doe suddenly stood up out of a patch of scrub oak at about 8 yards. Without thinking I drew and fired, pretty much from the hip. The bullet took her through the lungs and she dropped. She rolled her head up as if to get up and I put a second, aimed, 156 grain bullet into her neck. Judging by the off-side blood pooled under her, the second shot was probably unnecessary. She wasn't going anywhere.

I dressed her and drove my truck over to pick her up. Easiest handgun hunt ever. I still carry that Blackhawk...~Muir