Annealing question

stevenedwards

How frequently, that is after how many firings , should one anneal cases ?
Is there an optimal frequency or is it dependent on the make or condition of the brass in use, or something else.
Lacking any real knowledge of the subject I have annealed some Lapua cases after three firings.
Your thoughts on the topic are appreciated.

steven edwards

Woodsmoke

I tended to reload three time before annealing (.270 and .308), but recently have been seeing a couple of split necks after bullet seating. All my reloads have now been checked over, and I'll be checking the cases after firing too. But from now on I intend to anneal after every firing. It makes sense to keep a level of consistency as said above

wytonpjs

A quick question if I may as I embark down this road - at what stage do you anneal in the reloading process. I currently deprime and neck size in one using carbide dies, chamfer neck inside and out and then wet tumble using stainless steel pins. Do I anneal before depriming or after cleaning?

Alantoo

A quick question if I may as I embark down this road - at what stage do you anneal in the reloading process. I currently deprime and neck size in one using carbide dies, chamfer neck inside and out and then wet tumble using stainless steel pins. Do I anneal before depriming or after cleaning?
Metallurgically it doesn't matter whether you anneal before or after depriming or cleaning...

What does matter is that you anneal before sizing.

Two good practical metalworking reasons for this...

One is that the sizing dies require a consistent hardness of case metal going in to them to give a consistent amount of spring back and therefore neck tension.

The other is that heat can allow the release of tensions within the metal and cause distortion...think heat expansion/bimetal strip and the differential heating you are doing by just annealing neck and shoulder.

So anneal first, size, trim, and reload...

Cleaning before sizing keeps any tarnish / soot out of your dies, cleaning after trimming ensures no trimming swarf inside and means you clean off handling marks and have shiny cases. Neither, Either or both. I tend to do both unless in a hurry...the only thing I worry about cleaning is the primer pocket.

Alan