Another newbie.

Parabuteo

Hi all.

Just a quick hello from a falconer who has recently taken up stalking. The similarities between stalking and walking-up game with a Harris' or gos are striking; leaving aside the differing quarry of course! ;)

Beowulf

Hi Parabuteo,
Sorry mate it seems that we were all at work when you posted. :D Welcome to the site. As we like to tell everyone, 'No question is a stupid question!' I look forward to reading your posts!

buckup

Hi Parabuteo,
welcome aboard, don't be too hard on us, some of us work, and some of us can't rite or tipe ;)
Come on Gyr where are you, this guy a bird man too!
Mark

stone

hi parabuteo
as everyone has said welcome but where are you based as it helps to get a bearing
and with mark on this were are you gyr you may hav a mate here :lol:

Parabuteo

Thanks folks, I did wonder if I was only talking to myself! :lol: I'm up in not so Sunny Scotland, somewhat north of Glasgow. Got my DSC 1 the other week; I shot my first Roe three months ago and have a total of three so far, so very, very much a beginner! Have been flying and hunting birds for nearly five years, a female Harris' Hawk and a tiercel white Gyr/Saker are my hunting birds, plus a collection of assorted owls just because I love 'em! ;)

stone

please don't say you hav an european eagle owl as they are the most lasiest birds i hav seen
i saw one once run after a rabbit as it was to lazy to fly :lol:
i hav also released barnies into the wild from a clutch of eggs i incubated but sadly to say only one male survived he is about 8 years old now and is resident still in the release area

Parabuteo

Yep I have a male EEO! :confused: He wants to kill the cat and he has a big thing about blackbirds for some obscure reason. Other than that he is a big amiable lump and I doubt he will ever catch anything; tried him at bolted rabbits and he has chased a couple, but is usually distracted by a Buzzard two miles away or an interesting leaf on the nearest tree. A nice bird to fly to the fist, but not one who will ever make a career hunting: that's full imprint owls unfortunately! :rolleyes:

stone

i am no expert and hav never owned a hunting bird, but on accassions hav been tempted , i think my ideal bird would be a gos as i like there aggresive nature but barnies hav a special place in my heart
nice to hav you aboard
stone

Gyr

Welcome Parabuteo
They are a cracking lot on here and you'll be made to feel right at home.

Regards,
Gyr

Drew

Hi Para, had some of my best sport ambling round the hedges with a Harris, it's a great day out and relativly stressless. We used to hunt a gos too...awseome.

barnies hav a special place in my heart
Mine and my wife's too Stone. Very sad, I found her beloved barn owl dead on Christmas day about 10 years ago...needless to say, it wasn't the best Christmas present.

dusk till dawn

Hi parabuteo, Welcome to the site.I have had Birds of prey for 21 years, I fly a female Goshawk, and breed peregrines, and bred Goshawks last year.
Look forward to reading your post.
Paul

Parabuteo

Stone, if you have the time, and I do mean time everyday, then get a Harris'. Not as fast as a Gos, but far more intelligent and much easier to deal with; Gos's are self-centred missiles that need constant manning and even then are trouble! :rolleyes:

stone

hi drew
we lost harry this january he was a male barnie about 10 or 11 i think he escaped about mid october and was found on the bottom of the drive damn the A45 and all its traffic
para how far are you from the emma ford falconery centre?
as i hav been there couple of times

Parabuteo

Thanks Sika! :D I got Level 1 very recently:dropped two questions on the Large Game paper, but passed the rest of it thankfully! :D

swampy

Account Suspended
welcome

hello para,
wlcome aboard mate.

I did lots of falconry as a lad with my dad. If i could choose a bird now to fly around here i would choose an imprinted musket and fly it at blackbirds.

steve

Parabuteo

Not too far north of Milngavie beardy.

Lovely little things are spars swampy, there are a few around here murdering the songbirds and I can see the attraction of flying such a fast, agile little hawk. Reminder to myself: don't go and buy any more birds this year, even if you would like a gos, spar and a female Peregrine...... :rolleyes: :lol: