another poor piece on hunting....

Pine Marten

I already posted a link to that in this thread, but I don't think it's a poor piece. A bit simplistic, but it's for an audience that knows nothing about this and isn't going to spend long on it. It's actually a decent objective report, and it's true that the number of hunters has fallen, and it is indeed for the reasons they've given. I mean obviously it's complex and nuanced, but there's nothing false or biased in that article.

bogtrotter

Don't think its a particularly poor piece, look around you the same thing is happening here, not a great deal of youngsters interested in taking up hunting, modern farming not great for wildlife look at the decline in brown hares and grey partridges .

Anti movement growing in strength, there are a lot of similarities.

TOMMO.B

Same as bogtrotter. an awful lot of similarities.
a sign of things to come if more youngsters are not introduced to shooting.

Rasputin

The problem with shooting in France and to a lesser extent here is unless your very wealthy which few youngsters are in France its very difficult to get into.

artschool

"the clothes that make you look like you've walked in from a war zone"

i don't know what you chaps think, but i am not convinced that blaze orange is the latest in battlefield fashion.

Mickeydredd

Don't think its a particularly poor piece, look around you the same thing is happening here, not a great deal of youngsters interested in taking up hunting, modern farming not great for wildlife look at the decline in brown hares and grey partridges .

Anti movement growing in strength, there are a lot of similarities.
let me expand....

harming animals. - Is that what we do?

He had already missed a stag the previous week. What species were they hunting?
It struggles on the ground for a moment before his dog finishes it off and brings it to its master. A beautiful bird. Still warm. - have you lads got crocodiles for gundogs? �

And the clothes that make you look like you've walked in from a war zone, - aye, okay Rambo

enfieldspares

Imagine if a future Government held a referendum on banning all forms of shooting animals except by, say, RSPCA licensed culling operatives, then you'd see the "Brexit vote" crowd here saying that Parliament must have the final say!

Highlandsjohn

[FONT=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] 'The hare eat the pellets the farmers put down for the slugs and die.'[/FONT]

[FONT=Helmet, Freesans, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Was there not a thread recently about rabbits eating slug pellets and they were deemed safe to consume!! [/FONT]

NigelM

I had the great privilege in January to be invited to join the local "Chasse" in a region of the French Pyrenees. A good friend of mine who is a member of the Bordeaux regional Chasse who comes over to England to shoot with me had managed to trade a Roe Buck in Bordeaux for a Izard (Pyrenean Chamois) which he generously gave to me.

The village in the mountains had 60 inhabitants in total, there were 20 of the men out hunting that weekend, aged from 20 to 80 years old. We disappeared off after the Izard on the first day whilst the rest of the team were Boar hunting. After a successful first day and my Izard in the bag we joined the Boar hunt on the Sunday. A fantastic team affair, well organised, effective, safe. Lunch was epic, served late, after we had finished shooting. The plastic 5 litre containers of red wine came out, we had Boar sausages and ribs with chips.

The local community was built around the Chasse. The young were there along with the old. If they had not been enjoying their sport so much the Boar would have over run the region long ago.

From what I experienced hunting is still very much alive and kicking in France and there are certainly plenty of Izard and Boar to shoot. Off again in January, my mate has managed to trade one of his Roe for a Mouflon in the Masif Central this time!

bogtrotter

let me expand....

harming animals. - Is that what we do?

He had already missed a stag the previous week. What species were they hunting? Do we know ? nothing unusual about missing
It struggles on the ground for a moment before his dog finishes it off and brings it to its master. A beautiful bird. Still warm. - have you lads got crocodiles for gundogs? � no not a great choice of words but nothing we have not seen often enough.

And the clothes that make you look like you've walked in from a war zone, - aye, okay Rambo , Camo still worn be a great many hunters

Don't see anything that is that different from here.

Pothunter

There's an undertone in the piece that modern men who hunt for fun are faintly ridiculous.

If you're an accountant creeping through a silent forest during the hours of darkness clad in camouflage, carrying a military calibre rifle and a little rubber ball for imitating deer noises and you never feel even slightly ridiculous, i think you have a self-awareness deficit.

I thought the piece was also quite affectionate and, as pine marten said, pretty balanced and fair. We do harm animals; we kill them. The things which jarred were not bias, just lack of understanding of the nuance. You don't aim a shotgun, for instance, but he wasn't trying to do us down by saying so.

Pothunter

Sorry, just to add: there are also a lot of positives in that piece that are almost always missing from mainstream media coverage of hunting here: the sense of community, of common endeavour, and above all that these are ordinary working men, as are the overwhelming majority of uk shooters. Whereas the media impression is always of a rich upper class pursuit, which is actually a small
minority. The media coverage is always about the grouse moor and the mounted fox hunt.

Last edited: