Another trip to the Deschutes!

A Guy Out West

It was 89 degrees at 3:40 PM in Portland when I fired up the Ford. It’s gonna be real hot over there I thought to myself, I already knew that though, because I had checked the weather earlier and it said Maupin would hit 99. Up over Mt. Hood I went, when I got the first real good look at the snow capped mountain, I reached for my phone to get a picture for you all. My phone was not there. I had left it home. Darn! I arrived at the river at 5:45, the sun was just about to tip below the rim rock, perfect. I geared up and went down to the river. No stone flies to be seen, nothing on the grass along the banks, nothing in the trees, nothing in the air. Oh well, I’ll tie on a caddis and fish on. I reached to grab my glasses and experienced the same feeling as when I went for my phone. I had left them home too, I felt like a first time rookie. After great trouble, I managed to tie on a size 18, elk hair caddis with a black body. On my first cast I had a rise. Got him! As soon as the fish felt the hook, he turned side ways to the strong current and made The Perfect, sing its clankety song. I was impressed at the work out that fish was giving my 7 weight, 8.5 foot rod. Finally got him into the net, he was a solid 14 plus inches and had the typical football shape (ours, not yours). A beautiful Deschutes River Red Side (Rainbow strain). Let him back into the river so we could play another day. Then nothing for over an hour. Nothing hatching or landing on the water. Then a salmon smolt took a nip at the caddis but did not get hooked. Only saw 2 fish rising for the rest of the evening. A very frustrating river to fish. Every time, I say I’ll never go back, but I always seem to Find myself there about this time of the year. I’m considering starting a go fund me page so I can import DDS, perhaps he can show me how to get er done. This is without doubt the hardest river I have ever fly fished. Sorry for no pictures, you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Last edited:

dunwater

Ooohh I’d love to do that, especially on a stone fly hatch.
I did manage to catch a few fish in the Mt Shasta area many years ago and always wanted to go back..maybe some day.

Rasputin

Sounds awesome would love to live around that area. Skiing fishing and hunting you lucky sob.

A Guy Out West

QUOTE="Rasputin, post: 2123573, member: 17310"]
Sounds awesome would love to live around that area. Skiing fishing and hunting you lucky sob.
[/QUOTE]
You could do it for the cost of a license, plane ride, and hotel room. Fly to Portland, rent a car, drive to Maupin, stay in one of the ratty motels there and fish to your hearts content. If you come after June 1st., you will have the River to yourself. I was the only person fishing yesterday from Maupin North for about the 5 miles I drove along river road. I did see 3 tent camps but no one on the water. The only company I had was a grass snake that was perched in the reeds next to the water. There is no need to worry about unfamiliar roads and getting lost or being on private property. It’s mostly public land and the private is well marked. You could also pitch a tent for $5.00 a night. Primitive though, no facilities and only nasty vault toilets. If you came before July, you might even be able to ski at Timberline Lodge. Check their web site, they are about 45 miles from Maupin, easy drive.

Last edited: